Weeing On Clothes

Koilz

My 7-month-old cavalier is still having toilet training troubles. I've done all the things I should be doing - taking him out when he wakes up, after meals when he hasn't been out for a while etc. I've even kinda got him weeing on command.

The problem is he likes to wee on my clothes, which is absolutely disgusting.

I usually have dirty clothes on the floor next to my bed and clean clothes on the floor in my spare room (before I sort and fold them).

Even if my pup doesn't need to go, if he's let in those rooms he goes straight to the clothes and will try to pee. This morning he ran in when I was getting dressed, and even through he'd just gone, he managed to squeeze two drops out onto a clean top!

How the hell do I stop this???? I'm already trying to keep him out of those rooms, but it's a habit I want to get him out of.

Is it a dominace thing? Is he marking my clothes because they smell like me?

We don't let our pup into our room or the spare room - she can go anywhere else in the house but those rooms. I guess the best thing you can do is set boundaries. I am most likely to have shoes or other stuff on the floor in my room - thus why i keep Lily out. While she is a pup and chewing, peeing etc - she stays out of those rooms.

I would think dominance thing - maybe it doesn't have you as it's leader, maybe it has you equal and is therefore marking its territory - i am no expert but it sounds like a dominance issue??

Edited by LilyW

Good advice about putting the clothes out of harm's way.

Your clothes strongly (to a dog's excellent scent) has your 'smell' on them. Maybe someone more expert about dog behaviour could give reason for this kind of behaviour. Like, I've known of some dogs that deliberately wee on owner's pillow or bedclothes...other places where owner's 'scent' is strong. Like LilyW said, maybe there's some kind of dominance issue involved? Perhaps ask the question in the Behaviour Forum.

Koliz,I wonder are you treating this pup like a Pup or like a Baby?Like everybody else said I would simply pick your Clothes up and keep them out of his reach.I would certainly do an analysis of your management of this pup. tonymc

I did a Google search & found this article about how a dog's peeing on an owner's or a visitor's belongings or bed or even tyres of a car...is marking behaviour. Seems both the confident dog & the fearful dog do it...communicates that, in dog 'thinking', it's being protective. Apparently, that's what marking behaviour is all about.

http://www.paw-rescue.org/PAW/PETTIPS/DogTip_Marking.php

If your puppy is peeing on your clothes, you puppy is starting to dominate you.

Nip this in the butt quickly with the NILIF program and also ignoring puppy for 5 minutes on arrival home. (my opinion, works for us).

SOLUTION:: Put your dirty clothes into a laundry basket rather than leaving them lying around on the floor. It's not a good look.

Put your clean clothes in a basket until they are sorted and then put them away in the appropriate drawers and cupboards.

Why would you leave clothes on the floor???

I have clothes on my floor but that is only because my lovely boyfriend thinks that is a better place to have them than hung up or in laundry basket, which he has access too - i have given up picking up after him - he is a big boy and can do it himself. And they wonder why women 'nag' so much.... well apprantley i do :thumbsup: But lucky for me, my pup does no peeing inside. My man has left his shoes on the floor in the lounge and the pup is quite interested in them - i keep her away but if she gets to them he will have to learn the hard way!

I have clothes on my floor but that is only because my lovely boyfriend thinks that is a better place to have them than hung up or in laundry basket, which he has access too - i have given up picking up after him - he is a big boy and can do it himself. And they wonder why women 'nag' so much.... well apprantley i do :thumbsup: But lucky for me, my pup does no peeing inside. My man has left his shoes on the floor in the lounge and the pup is quite interested in them - i keep her away but if she gets to them he will have to learn the hard way!

You have my utmost sympathy. My boyfriend does the exact same thing. It is so frustrating. Our new pup is arriving next week and I figure if anything will get him to pick up his clothes it will be either the puppy peeing on them or ripping them to shreds...

Don't leave your clothes on the floor - pick them up and put them away.

Close the bedroom door and don't let the dog in there.

Get a big box and put boyfriends clothes (clean or dirty), shoes, and anything else he leaves around into it and put the box outside the back door or anywhere out of the way.

Problems Solved!!!! :laugh: