Pup Terrified Of Grooming Implements

samoyedman

Grooming should be a pleasant experience for a dog not

something to be dreaded.Some small breeds hate having front feet

shaved but thats about it.Most dogs love to have a brush.

Stop sending your dog to the groomers unless you stay with it.

Stop the session instantly if your dog is harshy disciplined.I dont

mean the firm verbals,Thats ok.

As suggested stand your dog on something,table,washer,bench etc

against a wall or in a corner so you have some control against

jumping.Speak gently to your dog & praise when compliant & a firm

No or Ah Ah when not.The dog will try to please if it knows what you want.Groom daily.Have a food treat to be used at the end of grooming only.Gentle but firm persistance works eventually.

I never stop until I have finished or the dog knows it has won.

If your dog is really terrified & stressed you may have to stop

but I would want to find out why it is terrified.

They usually kick up at first then give in if you make it enjoyable.

It is not supposed to be a nightmare for you & something your dog dreads.Keep trying.

Petcetera have grooming tables, they have a store at Vineyard. If you want to use it outside a proper table would be best as they fold up after use, they also have a non-stick surface. A grooming arm might be helpful too.

Here is a picture of his father...a Samoyed from Italy. Just take a look at all the Samoyed hair shed in that photo...not just in the foreground, behind him too. Have you ever seen anything like it? lol

Clio_Domi_05.jpg

This is his dads' website: http://www.casarebosio.it/Zamoyski%20Lucky...io_Domi_eng.htm

yes check out my deck!! - Mav had almost finished blowing when i gave him a bath and look what happens! - i used to groom him on the kitchen table in a little sunroom with no other furniture! - its good when they are little as its too high to jump off - he would now but will sit or lay for me to do it now so its ok. if theyre are on a table and carry on like a pork chop just ignore and (providing he doesnt jump off) wait for him to settle - he will soon learn the easier he makes it the quicker it will be over!

post-3230-1166585317_thumb.jpg

You can always tell where the sammy people have been on a showground after a show :happydance2:

When it comes to grooming a table is well worth the investment considering it kills your back gropping on the ground & it takes twice aslong.

Whilst grooming should be enjoyable it shouldnt be a bribery game or something that takes forever to achieve nothing.

Grooming does often require the tough love approach.

I would scrap the schmackos,the dog is being rewarded for doing nothing.

Providing the tools are correct & you can ask the breeder unless they told you which to buy,also ask the best method to use them & how they would deal with grooming.

Many people over man handle,have a running conversation with the dog & use food,toys etc all things that dont need to be done.

Certainly use a treat for good manners on the table & teaching it table acceptance but only use the treat when you do non brushing table exercise ,ie getting on,standing nicely & then straight off,dont brush when treating.

When you do brush be firm & confidient,tell the dog its "key "words,(stand,stay) ,brush with a plan before you start & stick with it.Dogs that dont like brushing is either due to not being done enough,having too many knots that it hurts or just being totally confused as to whats expected & the handling by the humans.

The grooming table is nuetral ground .

When it comes to grooming a table is well worth the investment considering it kills your back gropping on the ground & it takes twice aslong.

Whilst grooming should be enjoyable it shouldnt be a bribery game or something that takes forever to achieve nothing.

Grooming does often require the tough love approach.

I would scrap the schmackos,the dog is being rewarded for doing nothing.

Providing the tools are correct & you can ask the breeder unless they told you which to buy,also ask the best method to use them & how they would deal with grooming.

Many people over man handle,have a running conversation with the dog & use food,toys etc all things that dont need to be done.

Certainly use a treat for good manners on the table & teaching it table acceptance but only use the treat when you do non brushing table exercise ,ie getting on,standing nicely & then straight off,dont brush when treating.

When you do brush be firm & confidient,tell the dog its "key "words,(stand,stay) ,brush with a plan before you start & stick with it.Dogs that dont like brushing is either due to not being done enough,having too many knots that it hurts or just being totally confused as to whats expected & the handling by the humans.

The grooming table is nuetral ground .

Awesome, thanks.

wish me luck.

yep, 3 so far, and booked for a Xmas wash this Friday.

Samoyeds don't have much of a doggy smell, but the white coats look best when white and shiney, the irony being, the whiter they are, the more the slightest bit of dirt stands out. Its a catch 22. But he looks fantastic after a wash and I need sunglasses just to look at him :mad

Am I a good "daddy" Myszka? :happydance2:

Edited by samoyedman

I belive that there are two schools of the washing the dogs and I belive that you can "overwash" the dog.

Of course my easy maintenence short haired dobes :happydance2: are nothing like your puppy in terms of coat, but I cant remember washing them that often. When my male was shown and he was being exhibited pretty much every weekend I still only washed him every 3-4 weeks.

Right now he goes at least couple of months without a bath, in winter even longer.

I do wipe him down with a wet towel occasionally.

My puppy I think has been washed with shampoo so far maybe 3 times and she is 8 months old.

And my dogs have a beautifull shinny coat, and dont smell much either.

An airforce dryer does definately help to remove the dead coat and seperate the hairs and facilitate grooming, cuts drying time way down, but it does not replace the good old elbow grease and brush and comb work.

I would not be without one with a double coated breed.

You do need to get the grooming under control though :rolleyes:

A good stable grooming table with a non slip surface, a grooming arm if you need one and put him up there every day and do a bit until he gets used to the idea. No sooking him, be firm but kind. Do not let him win.

Can you take him back to his breeder and get them to show you the proper way to brush his coat? Would think it is the same as a sheltie (double coat) and you need to brush the coat backwards to get down to the skin. Brushing the way the coat grows only brushes the outside coat and matts can form underneath.

You might also need to use a spray bottle with some water in it to dampen the coat and to prevent the coat from breaking. A grooming table is a must. Saves your back no end and dog gets to understand that while on the table, it is going to be groomed.

Good luck, Samoyedman.

Can you take him back to his breeder and get them to show you the proper way to brush his coat? Would think it is the same as a sheltie (double coat) and you need to brush the coat backwards to get down to the skin. Brushing the way the coat grows only brushes the outside coat and matts can form underneath.

You might also need to use a spray bottle with some water in it to dampen the coat and to prevent the coat from breaking. A grooming table is a must. Saves your back no end and dog gets to understand that while on the table, it is going to be groomed.

Good luck, Samoyedman.

The breeder is in Melbourne. I know the way to brush; the fact is he doesn't like being brushed.

In accordance with previous advice in this thread I bought a grooming table. To make matters worse he HATES being on it and always tries to jump off. I'm trying to feed him a meal and schmackos on it to encourage him to like it but still no dice.

lol, I shall persist.