C5 Vaccinations

Teandell

It's certainly better than taking the risk that she catches a deadly (preventible) disease. :rolleyes:

I understand what you are saying and every owner has to make their own judement call. The whole point, though, is whether re-vaccination after 1 year of age really does prevent deadly diseases, or in fact encourages them. There are groups of vets (e.g. a US panel charged with finding this out) who say that the risk of serious immune illness increases with more jabs, while the risk of 'core diseases' like Parvo is not lessened because the initial vaccination series lasts a lifetime anyway.

---------------------------

My boy had a C4 shot with no side effect & I took him back to the vet to have it upgraded to a C5 shot. He was really quite sick afterwards. Hardly moved for about 3 days afterwards & wasn't eating or drinking. He doesn't board, so next time I will stick with the C4 shot.

Ultimate pup oh so wrong infact the boarding associations have very indepth meetings with the manufactures & there head honchos yearly & this year the 3 yearly was the topic & infact you learn a whole lot more from the horses mouth.

But doesn't the "horses mouth", in this case the drug manufacturers (I assume that's whom you refer to), have a vested interest to continue to encourage people to believe that annual C5s are necessary. I am just a humble dog owner, and I confess I am in two minds on this issue and I intend to do further research, but I personally would be taking the word of a company selling the product with a grain of salt. Given the questionable history of drug companies who provide human drugs, I admit I am a little sceptical of drug companies generally. This is not a "shot" at anyone, but I believe that the source of any information needs to carry some weight when deciding the value of the information itself. :rolleyes:

There is another side to this to consider - wouldnt it also be in the drug manufacturer's best interest to do their best to make you believe that their product wasnt necessary so you stop vaccinating your dogs - there by in turn leaving your pet vulnerable to the infection or disease making you spend more money on their products to help cure your dog from said infection or disease????

Kind of makes you sit back and think a bit....

While I have heard all the "horror" stories regarding the C5 vaccine my boy still receives the C7 vaccination with no side effects what so ever. He will also continue to get the yearly vaccinations. My vet and I have had long discussions regarding over vaccination, side effects of vaccinations and the 3 yearly vaccination. My vet has come back to me each time saying until there is independant scientific proof (ie not sponsored by said pharmaceutical companies) they will not endorse the 3 year vaccine nor will the encourage people to stop vaccinating their pets. While there may be those pets that do suffer the side effects from these vaccines - the percentage of pets who have these side effects are minimal when compared to the number of pets actually vaccinated.

Mind you these are mine and my vet's own personal opinion so please refrain from flaming me for speaking my mind. In the end it is up to you the owner of the pet to make the decision to vaccinate or not.

My dogs have never had a problem with their yearly vaccinations. They will continue to receive their C3/B3 vaccinations on a yearly basis. Having almost lost Darcy to parvo already (as a young pup) I'm not taking any chances with him.

I don't know of any kennels around my area that will take any dogs below a C5 level. Kennels are now pushing for dogs to have either the bronchoshield or nobivac component along with the C3 or C4 rather than a purely injectable C5.

There is another side to this to consider - wouldnt it also be in the drug manufacturer's best interest to do their best to make you believe that their product wasnt necessary so you stop vaccinating your dogs - there by in turn leaving your pet vulnerable to the infection or disease making you spend more money on their products to help cure your dog from said infection or disease????

Are you serious?

What on earth would a drug company gain from a dog getting parvo? There are no drugs available to cure it - parvo is incredibly expensive to treat due to the intensive care and amount of IV fluid required - something to reduce the vomiting or diarrhea might be used, but is generally ineffective. Keeping the patient hydrated and keeping it's will to live going are the two most important factors, not drug treatment!

As there has been no canine hepatitis in Australia for years, not vaccinating against it would make no difference whatsoever, kennel cough is still caught by dogs who HAVE been vaccinated against it, and once again, there are no drugs available to treat it :rolleyes:

Haven't you noticed that the diseases that are vaccinated against are viral, and there are very few effective anti-virals around?

My vet says that all vets are aware that current vaccines last at least three years, but still recommend annual boosters to protect themselves against any liability.

I know of a Wei, who was crippled by his vaccinations as a baby, he passed away a couple of months ago . He was so sick, for his entire life that I would have put him to sleep years ago. They chose to battle through massive growth plate problems, that left him crippled, skin disorders and worst of all were the digestive disorders that he suffered his entire life. He did not have a day without medication .

His vet notes are hundreds of pages long, they were spending a thousand dollars a month on him. I believe his life treatment added up to around $70 000. In some places that's a half a house. ;)

This is an extreme example of what can happen but it did happen and was triggered by vaccination.

It's c3 only here and I'll take the risk on the dogs picking up kennel cough, it's easy enough to treat

Are you serious?

What on earth would a drug company gain from a dog getting parvo? There are no drugs available to cure it - parvo is incredibly expensive to treat due to the intensive care and amount of IV fluid required - something to reduce the vomiting or diarrhea might be used, but is generally ineffective. Keeping the patient hydrated and keeping it's will to live going are the two most important factors, not drug treatment!

As there has been no canine hepatitis in Australia for years, not vaccinating against it would make no difference whatsoever, kennel cough is still caught by dogs who HAVE been vaccinated against it, and once again, there are no drugs available to treat it ;)

Haven't you noticed that the diseases that are vaccinated against are viral, and there are very few effective anti-virals around?

My vet says that all vets are aware that current vaccines last at least three years, but still recommend annual boosters to protect themselves against any liability.

As I said what I posted was mine and my vets own personal opinions. If you take a look at this in the same view as the human vaccinations and what has happened recently - you may or may not see what I am getting at.

Quite a few years ago there was a very big scare campaign that went around telling people to stop vaccinating their children because of side effects. Out of 10 mothers in my mother group only 3 of us continued to vaccinate our children. That was 14 years ago with my eldest - of those 7 children that were not vaccinated each one contracted - measles, mumps, german measels - they were lucky that none of them contracted polio - however there was a reported case that scared the medical community enough to urge doctors to vaccinate parents at the same time as their children. I was revaccinated in 1993. Just this year while listening the news a couple months back - it was noted that there was an increase in whooping cough amongst children and adults. When I came down with the flu this year and couldnt shake my cough the first thing my doctor asked was "have you been around anyone who could have whooping cough".

How do pharmaceutical companies profer from this you ask - When you are sick - what is the first thing you do? You go out and buy over the counter treatments - if that doesnt work, you go to the doctor who gives you a perscription. If its bad enough you go to the hospital which in turn give you more medications.

These companies are not stupid - why would they try their best to put themselves out of business by wiping out all disease either viral or bacterial? All businesses are designed to make money and most companies that I have worked for will do what ever it takes to make that money.

Dogs do not have the same immune system as humans and while we all look at our pets as if they were humans - when it comes to this subject it isnt the best thing to do. While titre testing may be a great way of reducing the number of vaccinations required - how do you know if the coverage your dog has doesnt deterirorate to such a level that your dog winds up getting a preventable disease? The answer is you dont until either the dog gets sick or until your next titre test - which from my reading is only done on a yearly basis - for me that is too great a risk to take.

I am not expecting people to accept my views on this - I am only offering another side of the arguement because it does make you sit back and think. You need to weigh up both sides of the issue before any one makes a decision especially when the health of either yourself, your family or your pet is concerned.

Once again these are only my own personal opinions - please do not flame me for speaking my mind.

This questions is for everyone that is pro full vaccinations every year (not aimed at one person) - If you are so sure vaccinations only last a year, how do you know they don't 'wear out' 8 months into the year, leaving your dog unprotected for 4 months?

You don't.

Whichever thinking you prescribe to, the other side will always have something of concern.

To me, do your research, weigh up your options, discuss with a trusted vet and go from there. There will always be someone that disagrees with you. Personally, if you choose to vaccinate or not to vaccinate, you are prepared to accept the consequences of either choice and that's fine by me.

For me, my choice is to go with a C4 and lepto. Next year we will see what my vet recommends and what I feel with my girl, who will be over 10 by then. I will NOT be putting her through a C5 or higher when considering her age and her last reaction to it - to me it's not worth it.

Edited by tramissa

Quite a few years ago there was a very big scare campaign that went around telling people to stop vaccinating their children because of side effects. Out of 10 mothers in my mother group only 3 of us continued to vaccinate our children. That was 14 years ago with my eldest - of those 7 children that were not vaccinated each one contracted - measles, mumps, german measels - they were lucky that none of them contracted polio - however there was a reported case that scared the medical community enough to urge doctors to vaccinate parents at the same time as their children. I was revaccinated in 1993. Just this year while listening the news a couple months back - it was noted that there was an increase in whooping cough amongst children and adults. When I came down with the flu this year and couldnt shake my cough the first thing my doctor asked was "have you been around anyone who could have whooping cough".

How do pharmaceutical companies profer from this you ask - When you are sick - what is the first thing you do? You go out and buy over the counter treatments - if that doesnt work, you go to the doctor who gives you a perscription. If its bad enough you go to the hospital which in turn give you more medications.

These companies are not stupid - why would they try their best to put themselves out of business by wiping out all disease either viral or bacterial? All businesses are designed to make money and most companies that I have worked for will do what ever it takes to make that money.

Dogs do not have the same immune system as humans and while we all look at our pets as if they were humans - when it comes to this subject it isnt the best thing to do. While titre testing may be a great way of reducing the number of vaccinations required - how do you know if the coverage your dog has doesnt deterirorate to such a level that your dog winds up getting a preventable disease? The answer is you dont until either the dog gets sick or until your next titre test - which from my reading is only done on a yearly basis - for me that is too great a risk to take.

I am not expecting people to accept my views on this - I am only offering another side of the arguement because it does make you sit back and think. You need to weigh up both sides of the issue before any one makes a decision especially when the health of either yourself, your family or your pet is concerned.

Once again these are only my own personal opinions - please do not flame me for speaking my mind.

Am just curious as to which over the counter medications are used to cure distemper or parvo?

BTW - paralysis from polio almost always only occurred in those who had had tonsillectomies, as it was the tonsils that protected against the polio virus. When the doctors realised the connection they stopped doing the routine tonsillectomies that had been the custom since the 1920's, but they sure as hell didn't publicise this! ;) Just google polio+tonsillectomies!

Am just curious as to which over the counter medications are used to cure distemper or parvo?

BTW - paralysis from polio almost always only occurred in those who had had tonsillectomies, as it was the tonsils that protected against the polio virus. When the doctors realised the connection they stopped doing the routine tonsillectomies that had been the custom since the 1920's, but they sure as hell didn't publicise this! ;) Just google polio+tonsillectomies!

That'd be why my doctor was so reluctant to take mine out then! It took me getting tonsillitus(SP) 16 times in a year before he took them out ;)

My dogs here have had a C5 every year since they were pups, I have had absolutely no problems and will continue to do so.

The boarding kennel I have used insist in a C5 too

Edited by helen