Do Puppies Forget?

Diesel the Weasel

Just a question for my interest.......

I am going overseas for 3 weeks. I have organised a lady from my work to look after my 18 wk MS puppy as she has a 18 month old MS herself and she is home all of January with her 11 yo daughter, so I know Diesel will be well looked after.... But I am wondering if he will have forgotton me or my house after 3 weeks? Do puppies remember their owners and their training?

Has anyone else had to leave their puppy for this long? :thumbsup:

Don't stress. Your pup will remember.

2 weeks after Diesel came to live with us, we went on holidays to Thailand for 2weeks & had to leave him with my parents. He was sooo excited to see us when we went to pick him up & remebered his routine when we got home.

We did, however, take him to visit my parents regularly b4 going away & always made sure his bed went with him everywhere, even when he was at work with me, he had the same bed. That way he always had something familiar with him & knew where he was supposed to sleep.

Another thing that may be a good idea, is to leave a well worn t-shirt with him so that he can smell you when he's in the new environment. :thumbsup:

Just a question for my interest.......

I am going overseas for 3 weeks. I have organised a lady from my work to look after my 18 wk MS puppy as she has a 18 month old MS herself and she is home all of January with her 11 yo daughter, so I know Diesel will be well looked after.... But I am wondering if he will have forgotton me or my house after 3 weeks? Do puppies remember their owners and their training?

Has anyone else had to leave their puppy for this long? :offtopic:

I am leaving our 11 week old Beagle pup for almost five weeks tomorrow! We have only had her for a few weeks so I hope she remembers me when I get back... I am more worried about how I am going to cope without my animals, especially my husky boy because I have never been away from them for this long :) How do you live without animals? At least there will be no poo patrol! :thumbsup:

Edited by husky87

I left Maggie for 4 weeks and worried a lot. I don't know why, she showed more attention to the owner of the kennel than to me when I went and picked her up.

I must admit though they did look after her well , as she had no knots and had put on weight.

But as soon as we got home routine as normal straight on the bed and lounge chairs like she'd never been away.

Edited by magthedag

Guest Amy Rose

When I first got my shelter boy Tucker, we had to leave him in a kennel literally the day we got him, due to our fence blowing down. After spending an hour with him, we put him in the kennels for 4 days. He didn't even know his name at that point and I was convinced he'd have forgotten about us.

When we went to pick him, the attendant told us to call him. I saw him walking around out the back and called out "Tucker!"

He ran straight to me and covered me in kisses. We've been inseperable ever since. :thumbsup:

I am a pet sitter and have looked after dogs for longer then you will be away, while they come to love me :thumbsup: they go mad when their owners are away

what i dont understand is that if you had a trip planned, why would you get a puppy now? Wouldnt the breeder keep the dog another few weeks until you are home, so not to upset its routine?

I am heading to the beach today and my boyfriend will be down on the weekend, so his mum is looking after our 17 week old pup for 2 days and i have been stressing about 2 days... :thumbsup:

I assume it is quite normal to stress and worry when going away, but as long as you arrange the appropriate care for your pup and they are well looked after, then all will be fine and your pup won't forget you Diesel, after all you have been through together, he will never forget you! 3 weeks flys!

what i dont understand is that if you had a trip planned, why would you get a puppy now? Wouldnt the breeder keep the dog another few weeks until you are home, so not to upset its routine?

I have actually had my puppy for 10 weeks. He is well into my routine and training. Why would I leave a puppy with the breeder for that long??

Thanks LilyW - I am more worried that he will be having so much fun with another dog (which he has met and played with before) and a kid as well, that he won't want to come back to boring me! He will be in puppy heaven! It does mean that I can relax on my holiday though, knowing that he will be well looked after!

Word of warning though make sure you have something in wriitting that the dog is being babysat & you are the owners.

There is another dog issue at present where someone left pets with a neighbour & they refuse to return the dog,they have nothing in writting & paid no monies towards food,general bits & pieces,there is nothing to prove either sides stories,one claims they didnt want the pets the others say they offered to babysit.

All you is a simple note with pick dates,money to cover expenses & even leave a note with your vet that the dog is being looked after Blah Blah till said date & any issues they have your authority to treat whatever.

Even in boarding kennels you sign a simple agreement so everyone knows where they stand .

Also have a folder made up of current photo,microchip details,ID marks so if the dog gets lost the owners have the stuff to find them but make sure its copies & clearly write over them something like'Copies for babysitter during the dates of * *" & you keep a copy aswell

I am leaving our 11 week old Beagle pup for almost five weeks tomorrow! We have only had her for a few weeks so I hope she remembers me when I get back... I am more worried about how I am going to cope without my animals, especially my husky boy because I have never been away from them for this long :) How do you live without animals? At least there will be no poo patrol! :thumbsup:

OK i havent read the rest of the thread yet but why would you have gotten a puppy when you know you will be leaving it for more then a month?!

Thats just stupid. A dog youve had for years or months i understand but a puppy you have had only 3 weeks?! Now ive seen everything :offtopic:

I am leaving our 11 week old Beagle pup for almost five weeks tomorrow! We have only had her for a few weeks so I hope she remembers me when I get back... I am more worried about how I am going to cope without my animals, especially my husky boy because I have never been away from them for this long :( How do you live without animals? At least there will be no poo patrol! :love:

OK i havent read the rest of the thread yet but why would you have gotten a puppy when you know you will be leaving it for more then a month?!

Thats just stupid. A dog youve had for years or months i understand but a puppy you have had only 3 weeks?! Now ive seen everything :love:

Ummm. The poster said that they had the pup for 10weeks.. thats 2.5 MONTHS....

2 different posters :love:

I still think it is a long time to leave a puppy that you just got. A trip like that would have had to be planned, so if it was me, i would have arranged for a dog after the trip, not before and then have to upset it by changing everything around on it.

Just my point of view.

Oooops. I should have read the whole thing :love:

As for leaving the pup. I left Diesel with my parents for 2 weeks after only having him for 2 weeks, but the trips was planned b4 the pup came along & we decided that as he was going to be spendiong 3 days a week with my parents anyway (he's 7 months & thats still his routine) that there wasn't an issue.... And there certainly wasn't. :love:

I am leaving our 11 week old Beagle pup for almost five weeks tomorrow! We have only had her for a few weeks so I hope she remembers me when I get back... I am more worried about how I am going to cope without my animals, especially my husky boy because I have never been away from them for this long :( How do you live without animals? At least there will be no poo patrol! :love:

Thats just stupid. A dog youve had for years or months i understand but a puppy you have had only 3 weeks?! Now ive seen everything :love:

Ive been following Husky87's posts and this pup is actually the family pet and her mother and sister will be caring for it during her trip.

I am leaving our 11 week old Beagle pup for almost five weeks tomorrow! We have only had her for a few weeks so I hope she remembers me when I get back... I am more worried about how I am going to cope without my animals, especially my husky boy because I have never been away from them for this long :cry: How do you live without animals? At least there will be no poo patrol! :mad

Thats just stupid. A dog youve had for years or months i understand but a puppy you have had only 3 weeks?! Now ive seen everything :(

Actually tollersowned she is a family dog. She lives with my mum, my sister and myself but belongs to my mum. We have three dogs living at home but only one of them I technically own (my husky). That's what is meant by the phrase "OUR pup" and "WE have". I was actually going to clarify in my post that I live with my mum and my sister, but I didn't actually think anyone would really jump to conclusion that I would leave a brand new baby puppy to go OS. I thought that by saying "we" and "ours" would be enough but obviously I was wrong.

Sorry if this seems harsh but I resent you thinking I am stupid and your post kind of jumped to conclusions. Maybe next time you can clarify before typing a rather harsh post.

Thanks for clarifying for me BrissyGal :cry:

Why should i do that?

I didnt jump to conclusions, i went with what you had written you were leaving a puppy you only just got for 5 weeks.

Next time be a bit clearer in your posts.

Sorry, like I said I thought the bit where I said "our puppy" not "my puppy" was clear that she would not be on her own, or in a kennel, as it implied there was another owner. Like I said I was going to type in how the puppy is a family dog, but I didn't realise that my post could be misinterpreted.