Flyball Dogs - Here Is The Team That Beat The Record

whatevah

Springloaded was the first team to run under 16 seconds and they made a time of 15.98 seconds. The crossovers are amazing. Don';t blink you will miss it.

http://www.springloaded-flyball.com/Springloaded.WMV

Here is Josh in flyball, not quite as fast as them but he enjoys himself.

Here is Moses

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l7ckRNYkSaY

Our crossovers need a lot of work, no where near their standard. LOL :hug:)

Edited by CrashTestDummy

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Springloaded dogs were absolutley unbelieveable OMG! I think both your links are the same - but i found the moses one anyway your dogs are gorgeous! I so want to get Sienna involved in fly ball but the closest club is an hour and a half away :rofl:

yup springloaded is a great team, they have the records for both regular and multi breed. when I still competed I was on the slow team(why is beyond me when I ran the fastest dog in the club lol) and with Happy were were hoding back to keep from breaking out of 18 seconds, the fast team currently runs in the 16 second range, but when my mom did the calculations, if that had been willing to sub out Happys dad(the slowest on the team) and replaced him with Happy, we could have feasably run in the 14 second range, but noooooo, the slow dog just HAD to belong to the club leader who had no intention of knocking his dog off that team lol

• 1 month later...
yup springloaded is a great team, they have the records for both regular and multi breed. when I still competed I was on the slow team(why is beyond me when I ran the fastest dog in the club lol) and with Happy were were hoding back to keep from breaking out of 18 seconds, the fast team currently runs in the 16 second range, but when my mom did the calculations, if that had been willing to sub out Happys dad(the slowest on the team) and replaced him with Happy, we could have feasably run in the 14 second range, but noooooo, the slow dog just HAD to belong to the club leader who had no intention of knocking his dog off that team lol

Thats always the way though. In regards too the team leaders dog.

Some of those crosses in your link CTD were so hard too call, looks so close.

Edited by tollersowned

• 2 weeks later...
just curious do the dogs in Springloaded and other teams in the USA wear flyball harnesses?

nope. I had never even heard of such a thing until I came here, everyone just uses what works best for there dogs, somes dogs its just a flat collar but most people just use a a normal H style harness.

also most of the super fast teams DONT use the cone method for swimmers turn, we use a jump and a knee.

Edited by BCNTC

someone stands beside the box.... the left side if the dog turns left, right if the dog turns right.... with there leg placed staright legged in front of the box(how far in depends on the dog, you have to experiment) just before the dog flys over the jump to hit the box you stick you knee in(like just bend your knee in towards your toe) then straighten your knee again as soon as the dog is hits the box. its a bit hard to explain without seeing it though. it forces the dog to turn because they see the ball and they have to go around you knee to get it, its just a quick snap in and out since the dog has to get off the box where your knee is lol.

its works pretty much exactly the same way as the cone but you wont have a big orange prop hanginf around, when you do a warm-up race for example, and some dogs need is a refresher and others dont all you needs is a teammate to stand beside the box and use the knee for the dogs that need it.

With the cone method, I actually take the cone away, and just have the dog jumping over a little jump placed next to the box. What I like about the cone method is that I can train it without someone else. What people in NSW are doing is using a perspex clear jump in front of the box, and at comps during warm up all dogs have a run to the box with the perspex jump in front and then it is taken away.

Someone commented on flyball harnesses making dogs go faster, I don;t really think it makes any difference.

How do you train the dog to retrieve the ball for a tug? Tia will only retrieve for a food reward, if I get the tug she won't even retrieve as it is her highest motivator.

both the tug and the ball are very special items that come out for flyball ONLY, tug training starts first the second the pup in in your possession. the ball is the absolute LAST thing added, only after everything else is trained, before that the ball is used only a few times and that is just to find out what way the dog turns for box training. we have a very specific order:

-recalls on flat to the tug is the absolute ONLY thing done until the pup is about 6 months old

-at about 6 months we start teaching the box turn, again with the tug. as well as the recalls being done with pups back feet on the box for the start. also we will wlak then on a leash over the jumps, tugging after each jump.

-about 8 months the dog is doing recalls over low jumps placed close together. also at this age they are being sent to the box from in front of the first jump, doing a turn(no ball) and comming back over one jump..this progresses at the dogs pace until they are starting in front of the first jump, hitting the box and comming back over all 4.

-9-10 months the dog is being started behind the first jump.....and progressing at their pace till they are running the full coarse no ball.

-11 months you are working on the box alone with the ball. tug is shown to dog for motivation, then hidden behind handlers back, tug is not again produced unless ball is at the handlers feet, this progesses backwards pretty quickly as they already know the whole coarse.

- by 12 months the dog is racing in tournys.

Thanx heapz for that info, great to pick your brain. Because I was wondering how it would work, that a dog is trained to run to the box and do a fantastic turn. Then suddenly the ball is in the box, wouldn't the dog just ignore the ball? I will be doing some more picking of your brain in the next coming months. She loves her tug toy, and I can even pick her up and she still tugs and growls.

Because I was wondering how it would work, that a dog is trained to run to the box and do a fantastic turn. Then suddenly the ball is in the box, wouldn't the dog just ignore the ball?

it sometimes happens, but not often, most people introduce the ball to their dogs on their own time at home, so its not like its the first time they have seen a ball before or something. some dogs simpley wont retrieve on their own, so those handlers have to teach the ball as a totally seperate thing, but I havent met too many flyball dogs who dont know what to do with a ball flying at their face lol

...my pyrshep was taringing in Flyball, he cant do it though because when the ball was added to the box, and he hit the box and the ball flew at his face? he tought that was terrifying, he hates this crazy contraption that throws things at his head :thumbsup:

Edited by BCNTC