Chicken Wings & Necks

cavmad

Handle the food that you feed your dogs with the same care that you take with your food, buy it fresh, feed it or freeze it, keep it stored correctly and you wont have any issues with the safety of raw foods.

My dogs have always eaten raw meat and bones,including chicken bones of all sorts no problems, they are weaned on to raw meaty bones and meat products.

You have to make up your own mind, it is not something anyone can answer for you.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I feed my carcasses, wings and necks. I feed chemical free chicken and beef. I was told by a reproduction vet not to feed my bitches chicken as it has too much hormones in it. I was having trouble getting a bitch in whelp and when I stopped feeding chicken solely she fell pregnant and presented me with a lovely litter of 9.

I must say I only feed chicken mince twice a week now just for a change. I would love to be able to buy hormone free chicken.

Hi,

I no longer feed chicken necks or carcasses. My little Schipperke's sister choked to death on a chicken neck when she was fed and left unsupervised. My girl also collapsed, choking, when eating a neck but I was lucky that I was right there and able to drag it back out of her throat. I have also had a bad experience with raw chicken carcasses. My sheltie got one of the sharp bones wedged right up the back of her jaw and it gouged a big hole into her flesh. I didn't realise for prob a day or so because she didn't show any outward signs such as scraping at her mouth or rubbing her face etc. I felt absolutely sick when I checked her mouth due to the fact that she didn't eat her next dinner (she's normally an absolute hungry hippo). :) Also, when I was working as a vet nurse we had a little Yorkie come in with a perforated oesophagus caused by a raw chicken wing.

I know plenty of people who have fed raw chicken bones for years without incident but I personally no longer take the risk. I feed my guys raw lamb brisket bones. They don't splinter, they're relatively soft and they can munch them all up.

JMHO

Tangwyn

Hey - for 15 years I was feeding cooked bones without any problems.

Stopped when I was told they were a problem.

Then was told HAD to feed bones because of teeth.

Then found we had a problem because the dog was digging up all around the fruit trees to bury the bones. So went to the smaller, meaty bones to avoid or. at least reduce, the garden digging.

BARF fitted in well with that. The vet has commented on how wonderful the teeth are, we have no tress being dug up, but the cooked bones go in the bin.

Now, as part of BARF, we feed chicken parts of all varieties. Have had no problems - but then, never had any with the so-called problematic cooked bones either.

Then the lamb is recommended - the lamb, as with the chicken wings, is very fatty - one can only feed them so much fat in the diet. Some frames I've been sold had great chunks of fat attached, which I pulled off because there was so much of it.

That leaves me with, Roo tail (which, conversely is supposed to be too lean and rich), Turkey necks (not always possible) and....... ?????????? not much else.

Got to fed them something. :)

Go for it!

If you find the necks or wings are not being chewed properly ie INHALED, go for a frame (and make sure you only feed one in a day - a frame is a big meal for a little dog! :()

3 of my dogs are under 10kgs and eat necks or wings (whatever is on special) or frames. You just have to make sure they are chewing them. :)

Injuries are RARE - Tangwyn - that sure is unusual for you to know of so of many raw bone injuries :mad The most common bone injuries are from COOKED bones.

Bones are the best tooth cleaner around, calcium plus, readily digestable - very good for your dawg! :mad

off topic a bit, Is anyone worried about all the other stuff in chickens?,

like growth hormones and anti biotics etc, I personally wont eat non organic chicken. I do give my dog a wing every two days but I pay more to give her something less tampered with.

This is inside Inghams In Australia, the poor things can’t stand up they have grown so rapidly. http://www.kfccruelty.com/ausinvest.asp (warning graphic)

I'll keep saying it again and again:

CHICKENS ARE NOT GIVEN HORMONES!!!! :) (Not since the 1960's!!)

Antibiotics are given to keep the poultry healthy in overcrowded environments (like Inghams battery farms) which is why I have my own chooks in the backyard :mad I prefer to know what my chickens have consumed :mad

And by the way, if you'd ever grown meat birds, you would know that these chooks grow hellishly quickly and unless you keep them very slim, they cannot physically hold their own body weight! If you don't kill them at 16 weeks which is what they are bred for(!!) and run them on, you can keep them quite lean so they can still support their body weight and then most of those birds when they lay, will produce double yolk eggs! It is the BREED which is enormous and they were BRED to EAT!

Yes, buy organic if antibiotics bother you but chicken does not contain hormones in this country. :(

Edited by t-time

I'll keep saying it again and again:

CHICKENS ARE NOT GIVEN HORMONES!!!! :) (Not since the 1960's!!)

Antibiotics are given to keep the poultry healthy in overcrowded environments which is why I have my own chooks in the backyard :mad I prefer to know what my chickens have consumed :mad

Yes, buy organic if antibiotics bother you but chicken does not contain hormones in this country. :(

OH, Sorry I was under the impression that they were, so how do they get them so big so quick? is it the food they are fed?

Thanks though :rofl: and sorry for the bum steer people, It seems my above comments were false, :eek:

im still not eating chickens tho. Just the way they are slaughtered is enough to get my vote.

Sorry, ChloeBC, I edited my post - must've been when you were writing too :mad

There are certain breeds of chickens that grow super big, super quickly. They are generally the large white ones with a red comb but the name escapes me at the moment :mad (The ones I couldn't kill (!!) which are still in my chook pen!!)

They remind me of the giant Michelin man in Ghostbusters - they get so fat and huge and white - they are actually quite awesome to look at, such is their size and they waddle around on these tiny little legs and are 3 times the size of my regular laying hens!!

There are a more than a couple of breeds of chickens that grow super fast for the table :) They are MEAT BIRDS as compared to LAYING HENS :(

I feed my carcasses, wings and necks. I feed chemical free chicken and beef. I was told by a reproduction vet not to feed my bitches chicken as it has too much hormones in it. I was having trouble getting a bitch in whelp and when I stopped feeding chicken solely she fell pregnant and presented me with a lovely litter of 9.

I must say I only feed chicken mince twice a week now just for a change. I would love to be able to buy hormone free chicken.

chickens in australia do not have hormones in them

# Are chickens fed hormones in Australia?

Australian chickens are not fed hormones. Nor are they administered hormones in any other way. Their rapid growth occurs naturally due to selective breeding and optimal nutrition. Independent tests by the Department of Agriculture, Fisheries and Forestry, as part of the National Residue Survey, confirm that Australian chicken meat is free of added hormones.

# Why do many people wrongly believe that chickens are fed hormones?

We believe that one reason might be that people note that the chickens sold these days in supermarkets, butcher shops and chicken shops are much bigger than what they may recall them to have been 20 or 30 years ago. They may wrongly conclude that this must be the result of some unnatural intervention. The actual reason for this increased growth rate and size is the ongoing extensive selective breeding programs that have been adopted by the industry over the past 50 years, which aim for not only faster growing birds but also for healthier and more disease resistant chickens.

the above statements are from the site below:~

http://www.chicken.org.au/page.php?id=150

chickens in australia do not have hormones in them

# Are chickens fed hormones in Australia?

Australian chickens are not fed hormones. Nor are they administered hormones in any other way. Their rapid growth occurs naturally due to selective breeding and optimal nutrition. Independent tests by the Department of Agriculture, Fisheries and Forestry, as part of the National Residue Survey, confirm that Australian chicken meat is free of added hormones.

# Why do many people wrongly believe that chickens are fed hormones?

We believe that one reason might be that people note that the chickens sold these days in supermarkets, butcher shops and chicken shops are much bigger than what they may recall them to have been 20 or 30 years ago. They may wrongly conclude that this must be the result of some unnatural intervention. The actual reason for this increased growth rate and size is the ongoing extensive selective breeding programs that have been adopted by the industry over the past 50 years, which aim for not only faster growing birds but also for healthier and more disease resistant chickens.

the above statements are from the site below:~

http://www.chicken.org.au/page.php?id=150

Once again :) thanks, i will stop beating my drum(stick)

Once again thanks, i will stop beating my drum(stick)

:mad:mad:(:rofl::eek: - (Good one :eek: )

Weeacre - thankyou for that link and info - I'm really not any good at putting up links etc :eek:

Yes peoples, accidental death can happen at any time and any number of things could be the reason for death but the bottom line is: when feeding your dog, watch them while they do it, especially if it is an ingredient they haven't had before and if the meal contains something that *could* choke them, watch a little more closely :)

If they are going on "inhale" a chicken neck or wing, then use common sense - it's probably not a good idea to feed your dog those particular parts of the bird. Doesn't mean that chicken is not good for dogs! Your dog chokes on kibble and therefore that's no good either???!

It's like saying you choked on brussel sprout therefore they are dangerous!! :eek:

Everything in moderation :)

we feed our dogs (miniature pinscher, german pinscher & boxers) chicken frames, necks, thighs, and wings. i have also fed turkey necks (can get them at woolies) as they are higher in fat and alot larger (looks gross the dogs dragging them round the yard) we also feed them lamb flaps, shanks.

have NEVER had a dog choke on any of the above mentioned bones. our pups are started from about 6 weeks of age, i generally hold the neck for younger pups who havent had them before, and they manage quite fine.

Not much meat on those feet but they give the teeth really good work out. My kids love em!! They can be difficult to get hold of as well. Woolies sometimes have them in. :) Mind you they do look gross - especially when all you can see is the toes sticking out of the mouth. :mad