Chicken Wings & Necks

cavmad

I have used chicken wings, chicken feet, frames and necks for years all without incident, the mince that I buy is minced chicken bones etc and all of my dogs are fine. Never had trouble with it. Edited to add that I only buy my chicken for the dogs from a chicken processor that is fit for human consumption never from anywhere else. I tell people all the time that chooks do not have antibiotics in them but they dont listen. They hear it from overseas and automatically think we do the same. Does not happen people.

Edited by Williamson

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've been giving them the necks, mashed up and they are realy ejoying them and seem to be taking the time to really chew through the bone. I just know that if I gave Stella a whole neck, she would gulp it in one go. Will stick with the mashed up necks, lamb shanks and beef bones (all uncooked) for now. I feel that I can supervise more closely with the bigger bones and I'll know the size of the chicken necks, having hammered them. When I get a bit more confident I'll might try a frame or the wings. I totally understand what you are all saying about the teeth. We are pretty lucky with the dogs as they will let us give their teeth a scrub with some water and a baby toothbrush a few times a week and hopefully giving them a bone or two every few days will also help to keep their teeth clean and strengthen their jaws.

Edited by cavmad

Thanks for that info. Talk about being misinformed and mislead. Now I just have to convince my daughter who is studying Natrophy(spelling?????) or it would be easier for me to type Natural Medicines.

I will still give my furkids chemical free chicken.

Instead of having to mash up the necks, you can put them in kongs? Seal them up and hand them over - it takes a lot longer for them to get access to it which minimises the choking risk?

Great Idea....thanks!

I have Belgains and mine are weaned onto chicken and all of my adults eat chicken of any part - Carcas, necks, wings and micne. They eat bones of any shapes and sizes. Never had any problems.

Chicken as well as any bone is sooo good for their gums as it massages and cleans the gums and teeth not to mention the nutritional benefits.

I'm sure you'll find many horror stories about any of the products we feed our dogs and I'm sure most of them are in the minority. Our dogs are carnivores, their teeth and jaw are designed to bite in bones. :thumbsup:

Edited by ~Midniara~

I have a stupid question...dont' laugh...I've never given chicken bones to my cavalier before (he only came home a few weeks ago) but will do so in the near future. Anyway...do i give him the whole chicken wing, frame, neck etc with teh meat attached (after i've washed and cleaned it) or just the bone (without meat)?

My mini schnauzers have always been fed raw wings, sometimes necks and more recently, chicken feet. When I bought my girl home as a baby she would grab the wing tip and try and suck it down as fast as she could. In fact she wouldn't "eat" rather vacuum her food. To get over this hurdle I would hold the chiken wing and she would gnaw away. I did this for a few weeks until she got the idea of chewing.

I always make a point of giving the raw chicken bone (whatever it is) to her in a horizontal position. If given in a vertical position it slips directly into throat rather than across her mouth where she has to manipulate and chew (hope that explains my meaning)!

In any case such raw bones are always given under supervision in case something goes amiss. So far no problems and future additions to our family will also include the feeding of raw chicken bones. Cheers, :eek:

I have a stupid question...dont' laugh...I've never given chicken bones to my cavalier before (he only came home a few weeks ago) but will do so in the near future. Anyway...do i give him the whole chicken wing, frame, neck etc with teh meat attached (after i've washed and cleaned it) or just the bone (without meat)?

Just give him the whole thing - don't seperate the meat from the bone.

I also don't worry about washing or cleaning anything that I give my dogs. I buy human grade meat so there should be no need.

Can I ask what is the correct amount of food to feed an Aust Terrier X Schipperke? I got him from a foster home who were feeding him 4 chicken necks a night and then dropped it to 2 necks a night. There was also dry food made available at all times but he hardly touches that.

Is this really enough?

I have been feeding him 4 necks a night with the dry food available at all times but he doesn't eat the dry food still and I'm not sure whether he needs something more substantial for dinner...? Maybe necks are only given as a treat???

Hi,

I've been giving my two older westies chicken necks and wings in the morning and veggies and raw red meat (small amounts) at night - all human grade and the meats are ALWAYS raw - and not had any problems at all - great for teeth and breath and my guys absolutley love them - but I do supervise them but more to make sure they he doesn't swipe her food (he's a real foodie)! And my vet is perfectly happy with their diets - so I suppose its what you, your vet and your dog are happy with.

Cheers