Lure Coursing..... What Is It

joho

Hi, I have a lurcher and soon to have def greyhound. Kerrie is 5 and half and loves a good run which is hard to find. Can you tell me if you train a dog to do coursing does this mean they are more likely to chase small fluffy dogs and cats. I know she would love it.

Jo

Coursing will not neccesarily train your dog to chase small fluffy dogs and cats. In coursing they chase a plastic bag.

Some dogs that love to chase will also love to chase little dogs and cats, but that may be the case whether they course or not.

Dogs can only chase little dogs and cats if the little dogs or cats are running away. You may choose not to put your dog in an off-lead situation where little dogs or cats are running away, and then your dog won't be able to chase them.

I would not recommend lure coursing for a race-bred greyhound, as they are too finely built and fast for the tight turns or for running on hard ground, and so they run a very high risk of serious injury. Straight or oval track coursing, on soft loam or on well-watered grass is what they are built for and is much safer for them.

If your lurcher is fit and not overweight, lure coursing is a great idea.

Thanks so much for joho for asking this question and to Greytmate for answering it. I also have a lurcher and have toyed with the idea of lure coursing with her... after watching her zoom around the yard.... and wondered the some as joho if I would be causing problems for myself, since I know that she has a strong interest in cats when we walk.

Greytmate - so I don't put my girl at any risk, can I ask what you mean by "fit"??? She isn't overweight, but I'm not sure I would call her fit either - she is totally stuffed after running flat out around the backyard for 2 mins (which I would expect). Is there anything that I can do to help her before I take her lure coursing?

shan2001, there are a number of us who attend Lure Coursing in Brisbane.

There is the summer cup on at the moment which is only the one meet in the mornings and as it is too far for us to travel to the one meeting we dont go to the summer cup.

We will however return on 18 March, keep an eye out at the beginning of March for a post in DOL Social Events. :)

Here is the link to QLD Lure Coursing Assoc. http://www.qldlurecoursing.com/

Ditto what hesapandabear said.

We do Lure with our Boxer - he loves it.

in reference to the word "fit" I'd say that means "muscled" as in not fat, and can physically run the course. Some of the events at Brisbane can be 500 if run right up on the rope, but can get 700-850m if the dogs "go wide".

Usually the course is a lot smaller, sometimes nice long straights, sometimes VERY zigzagged! But you won't find out what course is like until you get there on the day.

-WithEverythingIAm

are there any lure coursing events in melbourne? as in, around my area? South eastern suburbs.

Also, how can i get my dog ready to do this? im sure he'd love it as he LOVES to chase. The only thing that worries me is that he'll want to visit the other dogs instead of chasing the lure. is this ever a problem?

Hope someone can help

Jenna

Not sure about Melbourne - they have clubs somewhere down there, but not sure where?

Usually Boxers just instinctively chase - because it just seems to be progammed into them. Someone at QLC at our first even said "I've never seen a Boxer that hasn't chased"

We first found out our Boxer liked to chase things when we first got a radio controlled car, he used to chase it round the backyard trying to catch it in his mouth, and flip it over.

At QLC we have a BIIIIIGGGGG enclosed fenced in area for the running of the dogs.

-WithEverythingIAm

Greytmate - so I don't put my girl at any risk, can I ask what you mean by "fit"??? She isn't overweight, but I'm not sure I would call her fit either - she is totally stuffed after running flat out around the backyard for 2 mins (which I would expect). Is there anything that I can do to help her before I take her lure coursing?

Your dog won't need too much endurance type fitness for lure coursing, it is all over very quickly.

By fit I mean sound and healthy. Daily brisk walks and off lead runs a couple of times a week will bring your dog to the fitness level required. You don't need a super muscly dog.

Watch how your dog moves, the movement should be symmetrical with no occasional limping or skipping, as this can indicate a problem. You could even get your dog checked by a muscleman, physio or chiro who will be able to let you know if your dog is right to lure course. If you run a dog that is not sound, it will compensate for this which can put a lot of strain on the dog and can lead to further injury. For instance if you run a dog that has a sore toe, you may get a muscle tear or tendon injury in the opposite leg.

Have fun :)

Joho, glad to see you have ventured into the scary part of the forum :cry: , stay around it gets interesting sometimes :) .

As for the question you asked, I think greytmate has pretty well answered it, but Im sure you will find that some people do lurecoursing with their dog & (like me) have cats etc.

Can't wait for the new season to start up here in Brisbane, I think Jarrah is going to be a superstar at more than just obedience & doggy dancing :hug: :hug: & Jonty will finally get to run in competition as he will be old enough by then :) .

Edited by MrsD

Joho, glad to see you have ventured into the scary part of the forum :rofl: , stay around it gets interesting sometimes :D .

As for the question you asked, I think greytmate has pretty well answered it, but Im sure you will find that some people do lurecoursing with their dog & (like me) have cats etc.

Can't wait for the new season to start up here in Brisbane, I think Jarrah is going to be a superstar at more than just obedience & doggy dancing :):laugh: & Jonty will finally get to run in competition as he will be old enough by then :laugh: .

YAY TO Jonty!!! Finally "big enough" to run a proper chase! :laugh:

Say MrsD - You got any recent pics of your little man? I bet he's "Not so little" anymore... does that mean I can't cradle him in my arms anymore?

-WithEverythingIAm

are there any lure coursing events in melbourne? as in, around my area? South eastern suburbs.

Also, how can i get my dog ready to do this? im sure he'd love it as he LOVES to chase. The only thing that worries me is that he'll want to visit the other dogs instead of chasing the lure. is this ever a problem?

Hope someone can help

Jenna

Jenna - KCC lure coursing is held in a fenced in area so you won't have to worry to much about your dog visiting other dogs when it's his turn. Also you can either run 1 dog at a time or up to 4 dogs. I have a Boxer X Ridgeback and she loves it so much that she sits at the fence and barks and crys till it's her turn. If you are worried about him not taking to it you are more than welcome to let him join Sasha for one of her runs at the next event.

Joho, glad to see you have ventured into the scary part of the forum :) , stay around it gets interesting sometimes :rofl: .

Can't wait for the new season to start up here in Brisbane, I think Jarrah is going to be a superstar at more than just obedience & doggy dancing :laugh: :laugh: & Jonty will finally get to run in competition as he will be old enough by then :laugh: .

Have you spoken with your herding instructor (or a herding instructor) about luring? I was told that luring should not be done with any dog you wish to herd with. Really don't want to encourage the chase drive.

Absolutely.... as the others have said we all do Lure Coursing at KCC Park. It's fully fenced and the dogs just love it. Roxy goes nuts when we get there and she spends the entire time waiting for her turn either shaking, barking or lunging for the gate.

They just manage to pick it up and just know what to do!!!! It's an amazing experience to watch your dog in full flight like that!

If you go to the Ridgeback Club website you can add yourself to their mailing list and they will notify you of their next event. I just wish it was more of a comp like in Qld..... Aw well!!!!

BTW - Would love to see lots of boxers there next time!!!

Edited by roxy's mum

YAY TO Jonty!!! Finally "big enough" to run a proper chase! :laugh:

Say MrsD - You got any recent pics of your little man? I bet he's "Not so little" anymore... does that mean I can't cradle him in my arms anymore?

-WithEverythingIAm

Nahhhhh he's still small enough to pick up, almost up to standard size, but still small enough for a cuddle :D . There are a couple of pics of him from a couple of weeks ago when we were on holiday in the shelties & collies thread in photos :mad .

Joho, glad to see you have ventured into the scary part of the forum :rofl: , stay around it gets interesting sometimes :mad .

Can't wait for the new season to start up here in Brisbane, I think Jarrah is going to be a superstar at more than just obedience & doggy dancing :rofl::laugh: & Jonty will finally get to run in competition as he will be old enough by then :laugh: .

Have you spoken with your herding instructor (or a herding instructor) about luring? I was told that luring should not be done with any dog you wish to herd with. Really don't want to encourage the chase drive.

:rofl::eek::eek: dont tell me that :D .

Ohhh well I know which one I would rather do if it does conflict, I'll ask & see what they say - thanx for the info :) .