Check Chains ( Choker Chains ) Used For Obedience Training

I really want to go to southern seems really good. It's just the distance that is a problem. If only they relocated to Burwoood East. :mad

What about the vibe about Knox Obedience ? Friendly Vibe ?

:laugh: Beaglenewb

Edited by beaglenewb

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What about the vibe about Knox Obedience ? Friendly Vibe ?

:laugh: Beaglenewb

I'm a member there and most people are lovely :mad Since all the trainers are volunteers they do vary a bit in skills and ability to instruct, but they're all very patient and willing to listen. If they don't know the answer to something they'll always do their best to send you onto someone who knows.

Also, you don't have to use a check chain. All I've ever heard from them is that some form of training collar has to be used. That means check chain, martingale, head harness, etc are all acceptable.

Also should I wait till after his second vaccination before puppy preschool ? Or is first vaccination ok. First vac is the minimum requirement for entrance. Both preschools I want to attend are both indoors

Most places for PPS are aware that the puppies they take have only had one shot. Usually if you wait for the two vacc, they are too old for PPS. The reason is that PPS was designed for pups that are too young to face the real world, but needed social with other dogs of similar ages and in a controlled, sanitised environment :mad

I agree with MrsD - Brisbane clubs are so far behind.

I have Collies - big big manes and slim heads - so any type of flat collar comes straight off. Because of thier long delicate noses - they REFUSE to wear gentle leaders and such (rightly so I feel) anyway - we use check chains. Always have - well over 30 years. Yet you should hear the whining and moaning from obedience clubs up here if you want to attend obedience and insist on a check chain.

Believe me - through those thick manes - there is no pinching or choking - just a tightening briefly if corrected. Also make sure you use the long links for long haired breeds and small round links for short hairs.

We are about to start Agility and we are going through the same argument. Why can't obedience clubs let experienced owners do what they know is right for thier dog/s. I understand that with people who have never owned a dog - or a particular breed - they may benefit from "coaching" but leave experienced owners to thier accumulated knowledge and experience with thier breed.

Do you agree?

Kall

Why can't obedience clubs let experienced owners do what they know is right for thier dog/s. I understand that with people who have never owned a dog - or a particular breed - they may benefit from "coaching" but leave experienced owners to thier accumulated knowledge and experience with thier breed.

Do you agree?

I guess the club first needs to get to know if a person's "experience" is sufficient to the club's requirements. Don't forget, there's the Club's insurance to take into account. Whilst the Club can assess and get to know, understand and observe to confirm for themselves a person's "experience", if they let every person who said they were "experienced" do their own thing, they could find themselves in the poo pit should something go wrong due to permitted negligence.

Don't forget - obedience clubs have their regimes. They need to, or things will end up out of control. Otherwise people might as well form their own groups on the basis of "do what we want the way we know best". Could be a bit of a mess if "best" proves to be insufficient.

I agree with MrsD - Brisbane clubs are so far behind.

I have Collies - big big manes and slim heads - so any type of flat collar comes straight off. Because of thier long delicate noses - they REFUSE to wear gentle leaders and such (rightly so I feel) anyway - we use check chains. Always have - well over 30 years. Yet you should hear the whining and moaning from obedience clubs up here if you want to attend obedience and insist on a check chain.

Believe me - through those thick manes - there is no pinching or choking - just a tightening briefly if corrected. Also make sure you use the long links for long haired breeds and small round links for short hairs.

We are about to start Agility and we are going through the same argument. Why can't obedience clubs let experienced owners do what they know is right for thier dog/s. I understand that with people who have never owned a dog - or a particular breed - they may benefit from "coaching" but leave experienced owners to thier accumulated knowledge and experience with thier breed.

Do you agree?

Kall

I had a similar experience when we first took our GSD to training at a new club after a break of a few years. Lost track of the number of times someone tried to persuade us to use a halti on her. They have an induction night for new handlers (no dogs) each month as well where the instructor "encourages" you to train on a flat collar or halti.

I politely told them no thank you & luckily they didnt persist (past the 2nd month anyway :nahnah: ).

Kall01 wrote - We are about to start Agility and we are going through the same argument.

Do be prepared for the fact that most if not all agility clubs and trainers insist that your dog be on a flat collar or 'nude'. This is for the dog's safety. In fact, the new rules now specify that in competition, the dog must either have on a plain flat collar - NO tags etc., or no collar at all. This is to try to prevent anything catching on the equipment and checking or otherwise hurting the dog.

Basically, the dog needs to be under a reasonable degree of control off leash in order to learn agility - so there is no need and no place for a check chain (or any other sort of correction collar.)

I would say if you found anywhere that would allow you to learn agility with a dog wearing a check chain, or even a martingale, you should run away very fast.

JMO - but as you can tell, a very strongly held one.

The only time I got frustrated with the flat collar only policy at agility is when I was taking Zoe who is dog aggressive. So I was supposed to control a dog aggressive Kelpie in a crazy agility environment when on a flat collar? She was fine on equipment and running the course, only when waiting did we have a problem. I ended up bringing her on a martingale, not a problem, actually at least half the people there had dogs on martingales.

Tassie:

I would say if you found anywhere that would allow you to learn agility with a dog wearing a check chain, or even a martingale, you should run away very fast.

JMO - but as you can tell, a very strongly held one.

And one with which I heartily agree. There is no place for anything other than fixed flat collars in agility and a good number of handlers run their dogs "naked" in competition. Its a dog safety issue. Most of the time the dog is offlead for training anyway. It's flat collars only at our club and anyone who tells me they know better is simply demonstrating their lack of understanding for the sport.

So is there a more progressive obedience club anyone is aware of in Brisbane using more progressive positive reinforcement training rather than the oldfashioned military drill ?

Try sending a PM to 'Powderpuff', she has trained at a few clubs up there, not sure if she is centrally located in Brisbane though.

PS she only has net access some weekends, so you might not get a reply straight away. :cry:

Mel.

Edited by Staff'n'Toller