Aggression Between Dogs

Then i am entitled to mine, i can ask why you do it you know. Its up to you whether to reply to me or not.

I would have thought though if you think what you are doing is right you would say why and give reasons?

LOL you gonna alpha roll me?

Who are you replying to????? Do you even know?? Im not the one givng advice, that was Enmark, you are very much entitled to an opinion, I havent heard one yet, only criticism. lets hear what your advice is then, I have an aggressive dog, I would welcome some advice.

:mad All look the same too me.

My opinion - Alpha rolls are wrong, they lead to fearful dogs who have no idea what you are doing to them. Very suprised they havent been bitten yet either out of fear or aggression. Disgusted they did it on a puppy. Other alternatives available that arent as stupid as alpha rolling.

Happy?

:mad All look the same too me.

My opinion - Alpha rolls are wrong, they lead to fearful dogs who have no idea what you are doing to them. Very suprised they havent been bitten yet either out of fear or aggression. Disgusted they did it on a puppy. Other alternatives available that arent as stupid as alpha rolling.

Happy?

There ya go, constructive advice, well done, thankyou. Only now you have to explain what is alpha rolling? Im just a dog lover I dont know all the scientific termonology in dog behaviour and training!

Alpha rolling is physically placing your dog on its back, typically with growling and staring them in the eyes you can also place a hand over their neck which is supposed to replicate a wolf telling a lower ranking pack member off but wolves dont do that.

It is supposed to get respect and submission from them, but it just makes the dog fear you, you get no respect at all.

Edited by tollersowned

Khan28- from what you have said, i wouldn't use an alpha roll for that particular problem (and generally think there are better ways of handling most other situations) but please don't think that you can't change your dogs behaviour as with the right training and techniques, you likely could, the age is no obstacle. I wouldn't try and tackle a problem like that on line (because i can't see what the dog is doing) so forgive me for not being more specific.

Alpha rolling is physically placing your dog on its back, typically with growling and staring them in the eyes you can also place a hand over their neck which is supposed to replicate a wolf telling a lower ranking pack member off but wolves dont do that.

It is supposed to get respect and submission from them, but it just makes the dog fear you, you get no respect at all.

Yep gotcha.....and Im not about to do any WWW wrestling with any of my brutes, yes I see how this would make them fearful leading to biting, I will stick with showing him the paper, he particularly likes the sports section with his mornig coffee :mad

Enmark and Khan28 .... I'm with most here. I don't believe in nor have any faith in the "Alpha Roll" as it is known. For the reasons mentioned .... it really doesn't go close to how another dog would deal with subordination of another. And the dangers to the handler/trainer it incurs. It certainly can lead to a sudden and high rise to the challenge by the dog .... and if the handler lost the challenge, the problem is immediately worsened.

:laugh:

My brother has a Staffy, her name is Petal, always gives the vets a bit of a giggle

:p Knew of a person who owned a big, strong, working-line Rotty ..... went by the name of "Fluffy".

has anyone used a reputable company in Sydney that they can recommend? We were considering Hanrob as they were recommended by a friend - has anyone used them?

In the meantime, whilst we sort out where to go for training, if anyone has any great ideas that would be great.

Whereabouts in Sydney are you located?

I haven't read through all the pages....but if those puppies are showing aggression in the true sense of the term at that early age then that's bloody scary in my opinion and I'd be very concerned about them as they matured.

I would stay away from Dog Tech.........you don't need to have any experience or qualifications to own a Dog Tech Franchise......look for an Accredited trainer such as K9 Force in Sydney.

Edited by sas

I don't know if this would work for your Dobe but something has to be done. It sounds like it needs to be taken down a peg on the heirarchy. When it starts getting nasty, rouse on it (and mean it). If it carries on then put the Dobe on its back, your hand over its throat (imitating a dogs mouth) and growl like hell at it. Basically, you are acting like a dog and placing the Dobe in a submissive position.

The only problem is that consistency is the key and make sure your Dobe does not get jealous of your Lab. The sin bin is also a good idea, as mentioned above.

You're a....... arg.......won't go there......What a way to create more fear in a dog...potentialy making it more aggressive Or by challenging a dominant dog............and most likely the person will get bitten whilst carrying this out. You are entitled to your 'opinion' but when you suggest something that is as dangerous as the Alpha roll to another person then you can expect to be jumped on.

I'd like to reccomend a book for you to read.....it's called 'Dog Listener' by Jan Fennell.....time for some re-education I think.

Edited by sas

Do what I do, dont leave them together unattended and when they are together any crap starts tell the instigator off or sin bin it.

My bitches have had one fight and I do not intend them to ever have another. I have what I call a safe zone.