Can't Toilet Train A Puppy

WreckitWhippet

This is the first truly dirty puppy I have ever had. I am attemtping to crate train him and also house train him. He's 12 weeks old and there are no infections or anything that would make him toilet more frequently than any other puppy.

He was peeing a pooing inside, but I now have him trained to poo outside, the problem is him peeing. He can be outside for hours, with access to the grass , we take him out countless times a day and will stay out with him, he will not pee outside, he will poo while you are out there and I know he will poo while we aren't , as he has been on the back verandah when I've left him outside to play ( doesn't worry me as there are pens under there and clean ups easy )

He's quite happy out there either playing on his own, he amuses himself with toys or he plays with an older dog.

He can honestly be out there for up to two hours and the minute you bring him inside, he either pees on the floor, the lounge or in the crate.

I am buggered if I know what to do with him. I have house trained countless number of dogs and they have all picked it up quickly but this dog is by far the worst and not getting any better. He was raised in kennels ( nothing wrong with that ), let out to toilet on a regular basis, but he just doesn't get it. He must think it's normal to pee inside.

:eek:

where's the pull your hair out emotion

ETA: I'm home all the time and can let him in and out more than 20 times a day, I'd like to be able to praise him for weeing outside, but as he has not done one in front of us, it's a bit hard.

Edited by Warley

I am having the same problem with my little doggy I just adopted. He isn't a puppy though, he is around 2 years old. It's as if he has never been taught to go outside! Which is strange because he sits on command and comes when called...

I have caught him a couple of times wandering off into another room all of a sudden and put him outside but he doesn't do one and just wants to go back inside.

I am forever finding little wees all over the house though and it's really starting to bug me - I am using soooo much paper towelling to clean them up!!!

Last night I decided I would do the whole lead thing and take him out and start from scratch like training a puppy. He did do one which was good so I'll be doing that as often as I can now. Every hour I will put him on the lead and take him out and also after meals and sleeps.

Any other ideas for toilet training an older male dog? BTW he was only desexed on Thursday.

I supervise this puppy, he doesn't have access to roam the house, which is what makes it so frustrating. He goes outside does a poo, has a play and whatever else he does out there and immediately piddles the second he walks into the house.

He's not frightened or nervous, he's a very smart little dog and has learnt to stack, free bait, walk on lead, he sits, is learning drop and shake hands, so I know his brain works.

If only I could get it to sink in, :eek:

:D

If it makes you feel any better, Keg every so often pees into Indy's bowl. Not a toilet training thing obviously, but we've never see him do it, and it happens very rarely. Hard to train something out when you can only count the number of times it's happened on the one hand! :eek::thumbsup: Dominant little bugger :party::thumbsup:

The first thing is - DONT PANIC!!

We have a male pup we got at 8 weeks of age....he was terrible to toilet train. I spent hours in the freezing cold backyard at night waiting for him to 'hurry up'. As soon as he went inside he would pee. :eek:

I got to the point I thought he was doing it deliberatly (to get attention?)

He eventually learnt to pee on command - but would still come inside and pee straight after peeing outside.

I had shares in the paper towel factory....

The neighbours heard me say "hurry up" a thousand times..

I honestly can't say how we solved it. It just happened one day. He decided he wanted to go out and cried at the back door. He has had only one accident since then. It was almost as if it clicked inside his head.

He is only 6 months now, doesn't pee or poop inside but I still take him out after a sleep or eating as he still doesn't ask to go out. He just sniffs around.

It does get better - my little 4 month old has hardly had any accidents (I cant remember the last one).

Warley,

I had the exact same thing and I could of written your post. To make things worse I had two same age pups, one was perfect and the other the dirtiest pup I have ever had

I am happy to say that now Miss Pee Anywhere is 7 months old and hasn't had an accident for six to eight weeks........touch wood. Although when she is outside and needs to wee she will pee on the pavers rather than walk a couple of metres to the grass. :eek:

Keep doing what your doing and keep puppy off carpeted areas, buy a good mop and don't worry he will get it.

If you can predict that as soon as he comes inside he will pee, why don't you follow him around and wait for him to pee inside, then as he starts peeing interrupt his peeing by saying a very firm NO and remove him while he is peeing, to the backyard. If you can get him to finish the pee outside reward him profusely. You will need to follow him around inside quite a bit before the penny drops.

We went through the same thing earlier in the year with our airedale puppy, by 5 months old he was no better after having a lot of experience with dogs I assumed something wasn't right. We had xrays and ultrasounds done and it turned out his tubes were not connected to his bladder and one kidney looked very suspicious (possibly juvenille renal failure), we along with his breeder made the decision to PTS.

I would hate to imagine how much 'discipline' this pup would have got if he had been in a less experienced home.

He was also an extreemly smart easy to train boy.

Hi Warley,

I got one of my girls at 5mo from her breeder and she was a baggage to toilet train. Part of the problem was that she had been in a kennel situation until I got her and had learned to pee on newspaper whenever she needed to go. She was let out of her pen for exercise but must have thought the paper was the proper place to toilet. I lost count of the hours I would spend out in the yard only to have her go inside as soon as she came indoors. Eventually I corrected the behaviour by moving the paper gradually toward the back door, then outside till she worked out that grass was OK too. I gave her heaps of praise every time she went outside. You should have seen me the 1st time she peed on lead, it was at a dog show and people looked at me as if I was nuts with all the whooping and cheering :rofl: . Hopefully your pup will soon catch on, it's soooo frustrating when they don't seem to get it.

Regards,

Corine

aarrrggghhhhhhhhhhhhhhh, he just doesn't get it. You can catch him in the act but he just doesn't care. He's not peeing too frequently, it's just every pee that he does is either on the floor or in the crate.

He knows what poo means and he tells you when he wants to go outside. He just can't make the connection for the pee thing.

Tomorrows another day and probably another bath :rofl:

Not sure what to do but keep persisting with him..

Our puppy has been really hard to train and he is now 16 weeks old and i think that he is only just starting to get it...

He never had an issue with the poo except when he startes for some strange reason doing them inside about three weeks ago...

Three days in a row he pooped inside then that was it...

Another one of the DOL members suggested that with my puppy going in his crate to feed him in there so he gets to know that its like a reward to go in there....

The other thing is where is he weeing... Is it near were he gets fed??

If it is then he might be claiming the area as his...

Diesel would always wee on the kitchen floor and then when we moved his feeding to the crate he would wee near there (but not inside once he was getting fed in there just usually outside the door)...

He now gets fed outside in his crate and since then there have been no accidents inside....

Edited by bluepoppy

Hi Everyone

Our 8 month old sheltie came from a breeder a month ago. She has been pretty good really with regards to toilet training but over the last three days she has done a wee inside and POOS which she has never done before. She didn't give any warning signs at all... She sleeps inside in a pen inside and she has paper in there but does not use it overnight (it is just in case of emergencies!) She will wee on command pretty much when I take her outside but the last couple of accidents have been when I have brought her in after being outside for the day. Should I try and get her to wee before she comes in??? I'm not sure if this is just a couple of one off's or a new trend.

How do I teach her to go to the door when she needs to go?

Cheers from a sympathtic paper towel consumer...

Aljenit

No wonder you wanted to give him to me on the weekend :rofl:

Vegas has a nickname and it's peebody :rofl: Sorry i'm also no help...obviously

What you talkin about, I've travelled with her twice now for a total of 4 days and haven't had any pee problems from her. You must be doing something wrong :rofl::rofl::rofl:

Even 10 week old Wayne and 8 week old Valerie have more idea than he does :rofl: I used to complain about pissin Pugs, but they are easy in comparision to this fellow.

I can't remember who mentioned a crate. He actually enjoys his crate and jumps in there with enthusiasm, he knows which one is his. Wonderful dog, if you take away the piddles :rofl:

Hi Everyone

Our 8 month old sheltie came from a breeder a month ago. She has been pretty good really with regards to toilet training but over the last three days she has done a wee inside and POOS which she has never done before. She didn't give any warning signs at all... She sleeps inside in a pen inside and she has paper in there but does not use it overnight (it is just in case of emergencies!) She will wee on command pretty much when I take her outside but the last couple of accidents have been when I have brought her in after being outside for the day. Should I try and get her to wee before she comes in??? I'm not sure if this is just a couple of one off's or a new trend.

How do I teach her to go to the door when she needs to go?

Cheers from a sympathtic paper towel consumer...

Aljenit

Hahhhhhh advice from the expert here :rofl::rofl::rofl: I can train a puppy honestly

Has it suddenly turned cold or started to rain in the last few days ? I had a bitch that you go inside if it rained, she preferred not to get her feet wet and if it was cold she didn't like that either.

Has she been desexed ? She could be coming into season and bitches can start all sorts of odd behaviour.

other than that, I'll leave it up to the experts ( my lifetime of dogs, is not enough in my case, lets hope you have more luck )

No wonder you wanted to give him to me on the weekend :rofl:

Vegas has a nickname and it's peebody :rofl: Sorry i'm also no help...obviously

What you talkin about, I've travelled with her twice now for a total of 4 days and haven't had any pee problems from her. You must be doing something wrong :rofl::rofl::rofl:

Even 10 week old Wayne and 8 week old Valerie have more idea than he does :rofl: I used to complain about pissin Pugs, but they are easy in comparision to this fellow.

I can't remember who mentioned a crate. He actually enjoys his crate and jumps in there with enthusiasm, he knows which one is his. Wonderful dog, if you take away the piddles :rofl:

Oh so this is not little Wayne but naughty Beep Beep :rofl:

I can't complain about Vegas she hasn't had an accident inside for ages probably because she was banned for a while and now can control herself for atleast half an hour.

Maybe a puppy nappy until he learns to control himself :rofl: :rofl: