Chicken & Rice?

milosmum

Hello, I have gained lots of valuable info from this site since Milo my labrador puppy came to live with us 6 weeks ago but I just have a question...

Sunday night she had diarrhoea, and since then, the last few days her poo has been a bit soft, not bad diarrhoa just definitely softer than usual, she has done a couple of normal ones as well but maybe every second is quite loose. She is not acting sick so I think she just needs something to settle her tummy, I currently feed her Pedigree Puppy tins together with dry food (not sure what brand but its a puppy one, the most expensive one at the supermarket)

I keep reading that Chicken and Rice is good for upset tummies but I have no idea how to make it (is the chicken cooked, raw etc?) so hoping someone has some more info for me, maybe a recipe as such! And what quantity do you think I should give a 12wk (10kg) lab?

THANKS!

We had to do this for my girl when we first got her as she got the runs a couple of times - it does wonders.

Just put a chicken fillet in boiling water and cook until cooked through and soft. Boil up some rice, just a cup full, we have a microwave rice cooker which is much easier. Cut up the chicken and mix it together, perhapes give her quarter to a half of what is there and put the rest in the fridge for next feed.

I found with the runs it was best to just keep it simple, she enjoyed it.

When we feed Mallee chicken and rice for her upset tum tum , we trim all fat off the chicken breast and steam it, and boil the rice. She is a nearly 2 year old 30kilo ridgeback and when she has an upset tummy she gets about 1 1/2 cups of cooked rice and a chicken breast spread over morning and night..... Seems to do the trick.

Hello, I have gained lots of valuable info from this site since Milo my labrador puppy came to live with us 6 weeks ago but I just have a question...

Sunday night she had diarrhoea, and since then, the last few days her poo has been a bit soft, not bad diarrhoa just definitely softer than usual, she has done a couple of normal ones as well but maybe every second is quite loose. She is not acting sick so I think she just needs something to settle her tummy, I currently feed her Pedigree Puppy tins together with dry food (not sure what brand but its a puppy one, the most expensive one at the supermarket)

I keep reading that Chicken and Rice is good for upset tummies but I have no idea how to make it (is the chicken cooked, raw etc?) so hoping someone has some more info for me, maybe a recipe as such! And what quantity do you think I should give a 12wk (10kg) lab?

THANKS!

Boiled chicken and rice is great for upset tummies. It may also the Pedigree puppy food - I've always found it to be a tad rich, so try just giving her dry food (with plenty of water available of course) and see if the runs clear up.

When i first brought my puppy home at 8 weeks we had to do this as his poos were that runny they were like water. :thumbsup: We mixed about two cups of boiled rice with one boiled chicken thigh fillet (chopped into little tiny peices) and two tablespoons of plain natural yogurt...we gave him one cup of the mix for breekfast, lunch and dinner and he was back to normal by the following morning.

Pedigree Puppy Food causes sloppy poo in a lot of puppies, if you must use canned food try the Advance Puppy Formula. I would also upgrade your dry food, supermarket dry foods aren't good quality and your puppy may be intolerant of the high cereal content. I would recommend Advance, Eagle Pack, Royal Canin or Nutro, although these foods are more expensive you don't need to feed as much and they are much better for your dog.

Also make sure that you worm your puppy regularly, every two weeks up to three months, once a month to six months of age and every three to six months thereafter.

As Miranda has said supermarket foods are not the best quality to be feeding a puppy.

We feed Nutro a commercially prepared super premium food, to all our dogs including our 13 weeks old puppy who has shown no signs of the trots.

As also mentioned, the super premium are more expensive, but in the long run (excue the pun) you are not feeding near the quantity of the others and far better quality.

When looking for a food please check very carefully both the ingredients list and the guaranteed analysis, what we look for is no chemical preservatives, no added colurants, no animal by products and no corn, maize or wheat. :thumbsup:

Thanks for all your advice! Milo had chicken and rice for dinner tonight and loved it, hopefully it does the job! Can I get the better quality dog food from the Pet Shop or should I go to the Vets? (or is there somewhere else I don't know about!) Sorry. might be a silly question but I am a first time mum!

Thanks for all your advice! Milo had chicken and rice for dinner tonight and loved it, hopefully it does the job! Can I get the better quality dog food from the Pet Shop or should I go to the Vets? (or is there somewhere else I don't know about!) Sorry. might be a silly question but I am a first time mum!

We feed our puppy Optimum (the puppy mix). You can get it from any pet shop. I have heard that Advance is also a really good one but you need to buy that from the Vet Clinic.

pet supply stores will sell things like Advance, Eukanuba, Eagle Pack, Nutro, Royal Canin and Nutrience. Go to a better one that should have a wide variety and choose a food that suits your puppies adult weight.

I would get rid of the cans completely. Get a good quality kibble and the fresh component can be things like chicken necks, frames, wings, lamb flaps and necks. Great for keeping teeth clean and keeps the pup happy for a while. Fresh is best! Tinned food is majority water and flavoured cereal, hence the sloppy poo. If you start feeding more bones as well you will notice less smell at toilet time!

Thanks for the advice! i will definitely get rid of the tins and get some better quality dry food! One more question re the fresh meat, Im just unsure of quantities, I will follow the dry food directions on amounts but should I give her some fresh meat every day? eg. If I give her chicken necks how many should I give her? She has a vet check up next week so i can ask him lots of these type of questions but would love some advice of what to give her in the mean time. THANKS!

We never use rice .For upset tummies we only use chicken & pumpkin.

What did the breeder suggest??

As far as vets advice on feeding keep an open mind listen to what they say & think about it.(most sell a said brand on commission & will say its the best )

Premiun dry doesnt have to be brought form the vet infact thats the last place i would go.

Milosmum what state are you in as someone could suggest a good pet stockist.

Most Lab breeders dont recommend Eukanuba as they have found it does cause growth issues.

Many of the Lab breeders i now feed optium/advance plus raw.

For me i would be feeding a good large breed growth dry plus raw mutton/lamb flaps/chicken knecks/frames/tuna in oil/natural yoghurt/ etc etc

I find the Natures gift canned food is the best canned stuff I ever fed my dogs (its emergency food only) but there is a puppy version of it. It smells like spam hehehe and my boys love it

Chicken and rice is great for dogs and humans with upset tum tums.

Alot of new pups will get upset tummies, stress of new homes, new diet etc.

As some suggested its a good idea to feed your dog a mix of good quality dry with raw food. With the dry best idea is to try a few different ones. Eagle pack is great.

I have just read this thread, and read that 'most lab breeders don't recommend Eukenuba as it can cause growth problems.' I am after some more info on this if possible. Is it just opinions or documented proof? I use Eukenuba, so am very interested in this.

I was using Optimum with my labs, but they did not do well on it at all. Had soft runny poos and were too thin. I like to keep my labs lean, but not skinny. Since changing to Euk. they seem to do better, are still lean, but not too thin. They also need much less of the Euk. I only give them about 1 & 1/2 cups of Euk and add raw mince, bones, fish etc.

Would love more info on this if anyone has it.