Bathing

Arley

Ha Ha Ha

I was ready to reply with advice that I was told years ago.

But when I started typing I realised it was for my Car not my dog. :cry::)

But I suppose I will still share

To much soap and chemicals to often can be bad.

So I was told to alternate between soap and Marther Garndners Eucaliptus wool wash, as it was mild.

So I am not too sure if it would apply to dogs....

But I am sure someone else will help.

Take Care

Ash...

My guys get bathed on average once a month, unless we're off to a show. they get hosed down quite a bit on the really hot days, and pippa gets a bath by sitting in the water container.

I was told martha gardners was too harsh because it strips too much oil out and isnt' good for the skin, although i still use it from time to time.

If my guys get really grubby and smelly, i wash them in the shower, no soap and brush them whilst wet. it doens't seem to damage the coat, im not using chemicals etc all the time and they appreciate it. they usually smell lots better afterwards, well after the 'wet dog' smell has gone lol

hope this helps

Jenna

I was told by my vet that every eight weeks is a good timeframe. There is a apprantly a vet at the clinic that would say once a year... I do Lily probably every 2 months - she gets to a point where she is a bit smelly so we give her a bath. But i don't bother if she doesn't smell or seems clean - though she is black so who knows how dirty she really is??

I do mine about once a month. Although Diesel may get done more often depending on allergies. I use Alloveen as it is soothing for Diesel's allergies and gentle, and smells nice too :cry:

If they are grubby in between I wipe them with a damp cloth.

Hi

If I have no dog shampoo at hand (usually Aloveen sp??) - I use my Dr Bronner's Natural Castile Soap (currently almond) - used to use this on the spoodle and his coat was beautiful (and never shed I might add!) - I get it from the health store GNC.

Spoodle got washed every 10 days or so.

Angus - I washed him this weekend for the first time and he is 12 weeks today.

I was told not to bathe them more than once every 2 weeks unless they are REALLY stinky. Too much strips their fur of natural oils. I try and make my boy go longer than that between baths - he hates them anyway! In between, if he has dirty paws, bum or beard, I wipe with baby wipes which he loves!! (Yes, I have a strange dog....)

Hi

If I have no dog shampoo at hand (usually Aloveen sp??) - I use my Dr Bronner's Natural Castile Soap (currently almond) - used to use this on the spoodle and his coat was beautiful (and never shed I might add!) - I get it from the health store GNC.

Spoodle got washed every 10 days or so.

Angus - I washed him this weekend for the first time and he is 12 weeks today.

I used Dr. Bonner's soap (peppermint or almond) many years ago.

I loved the smell but it dried out my skin too much.

I would use it on Spanky. But I'd be afraid of the same result.

The best thing for you dog, is to bath him or her when they smell. Having said that, if you have a continual odour coming from your dog, that bathing does not get rid of, you will need to look further into diet, possible allergies and skin infections.

A dogs skin is far more sensitive and the PH levels differ from us humans, whilst many a dog can tolerate Martha's wool wash, or your expensive hair shampoo, it is less than ideal and certainly not good for your dogs skin.

Select a shampoo and conditioner ( if you need one ) that are specifially for dogs, there are hundreds to choose from. A wash once every two weeks is more than enough.

Also take the time to do a thorough wash of the dog, wet the dog completely and apply the shampoo one section at a time, add a little more water if need be and get the dog well lathered up, it's important to was between the toes, pay attention to their bum ( yeah not the nicest job but ), give the dog a thorough rinse and a thorough dry. Damp feet can lead to infections and other nasties and drying the dog properly will help to eliminate odour.

You can use a doggie deoderant between baths, and you can also freshen the dog up with a warm towel bath.

:)

How often a dog is bathed and how it will affect it depends a lot on breed. Most small long haired breeds should be bathed no less than once a fortnight but make sure you use proper dog shampoo, short haired and double coated breeds do not need to be bathed as often, it's best not to do it anymore than once every 4-6 weeks unless absolutely necessary.