C5 And Pro Heart

My 11 week old cavalier got vaccinated today with C5. The vets also offered pro heart...actually they kinda make it sound like it was necessary and the "best" prevention there is available now for heart worms? Anyway so that was a general check up, two injections, plus a packet of frontline plus, and a worming tablet which came to $197. Oh and he threw in a puppy pack too with some pamplet and a sample of Hill's diet.

Anyway, just wanted to know if Pro heart is a usual thing for puppies to have? Is it necessary? I'm happy to pay the price (though it was very expensive) but just wanted to know if it's the norm, or something the vet was trying to give Scooby (my cavalier) for some extra money.

I was under the impression the manufactures also suggest it isnt given till a set age.

Personally i would never use it & it most certainly isnt the best option just a vet overkill.

May i ask what the frontline plus was recommended for??or did the vet suggest this also??

I was under the impression the manufactures also suggest it isnt given till a set age.

That's right. If you're dosing a puppy at 11 weeks old that weighs say 4kg but the dog will be 9kg fully grown (just as an example), it may be underprotected for the last few months of the duration of dose which is 12 months. It's a great product but you don't want your dog to be underprotected. Discuss this further with your vet or contact the manufacturer.

Looking at an AVA calender we have on our wall at work (no not a vets) Pro Heart SR12 is now recommending 1 treatment 12 weeks, 1 treatment at 6 months, again at 15 months and annually thereafter :mad That's if your dog does't die first from all the chemicals that have been injected into it. It also says 'use a dose rate based on the dogs body weight at the time of treatment.

Personally I would never use Proheart Injections again from all the bad write-ups on it. Plus it contains Ivermectin which shelties can be allergic to. We use Interceptor. No Ivermectin.

Jonene

Fort Dodge have a new claim out now - can do pups from 3mths.

I don't know the why's and wherefor's though.

Mel.

$$$$$$$

Maybe they figure they can surprise newbie puppy owners and trick them into it before they have a chance to find out the adverse effects of Proheart (like death) :mad

So the dog was vacc only but the vet suggested the heartworn the next visit??

We are old fashioned here ,the dogs get heartworm only.We dont use any of the frontline etc as our dogs dont have fleas & we see no point giving more chemicals for no reasons & infact many dogs do react to the frontline plus.

What did your breeder suggest??

Did the vet really vaccinate an 11 week old pup and give a yearly heartworm injection at the same visit? :hug: Not to mention the frontline. That sounds like a lot of poisons at the same time for a little guy. I would change vets. (Sorry to be negative, but I (BRIEFLY) had a vet who wanted to inject anything and everything into my pup even though he had a vaccine reaction :) She also wanted me to buy Science Diet, but she had just come back from a Hills sponsored trip to Hawaii, so I figured she had a vested interest :p )

ps I pmed you back about the vet - sorry it took so long, I was away :rofl:

Edited by monsterpup

Yes...that was a c5, proheart and a dose of frontline plus. I think i will definately go and change vets next time for Scooby's next vaccination in a month. Thank goodness Scooby didn't have a reaction. At least i am more informed now regarding vaccinations etc for my pup. I'll give Prahran vet hospital a go, MonsterPup, thanks for your PM. :rolleyes: Btw, i read that Nicole is on maternity leave at the moment.

I dont think you have to change vets but it surprises how many people allow the vet to give things without asking questions,getting paperwork & reading it & deciding what the pros/cons are.

If more people ask there vets why ,they would be more accountable for what there doing.why there giving it & why it is so much better than the alternatives.

Make yourself a smart visitor & ask questions you pay for the consult not the sales pitch.

Fort Dodge have a new claim out now - can do pups from 3mths.

I don't know the why's and wherefor's though.

Mel.

$$$$$$$

Maybe they figure they can surprise newbie puppy owners and trick them into it before they have a chance to find out the adverse effects of Proheart (like death) :rolleyes:

Just the messenger Morgan :laugh: I certainly don't use it with my guys and they're on limited Vaccinations too.

Mel.

I dont think you have to change vets but it surprises how many people allow the vet to give things without asking questions,getting paperwork & reading it & deciding what the pros/cons are.

If more people ask there vets why ,they would be more accountable for what there doing.why there giving it & why it is so much better than the alternatives.

Make yourself a smart visitor & ask questions you pay for the consult not the sales pitch.

I think as a new pet owner, though we wish to obtain as much information as possible regarding what is best for our pets, it is often difficult for someone like me who has never had a pet before to be able to necessarily cover all the pros and cons regarding vaccinations, especially if we've had no previous experience in the area. Visiting the vet alone is a stressful experience for some like me. Owning a pet for the first time, learning about the breed, health of the breed, nutrition, training etc is overwhelming enough. I did ask the vet what proheart was and whether there were any side effects, but he said that it was the best prevention in the field at the moment. At the time, though reality may differ, i believed that the vet, as the health professional should have offered me the the cons as well as the pros. anyway, thank you guys for your information. I will certainly take your advise into account and be a smarter visitor next time i take Scooby to the vet.

Do some research on the net (from a reputable site) and go armed with this on your next visit. I challenged the vet when my boy was a puppyy and he wanted to give him the ProHeart shot. He went off to check my evidence while we waited and came back not 100% agreeable but prepared to listen and do further investigation. At the time the ProHeart shot was relatively new, but being a Collie owner I was aware of Ivermectin sensitivity and knew I had to be cautious in that regard.

I have since had my boy DNA tested and he is a carrier of the MDR-1 sensitivity gene, while not affected he could still be sensitive to the "mectin" family of drugs. MDR-1 sensitivity affects Collies, Shelties, Aussies, Borders and a number of other breeds, put simply it causes a build up of the suspect drugs in the brain and can have dire consequnces including death.

My current vet is in full agreement with me on the ProHeart shot, it's too much drug in the body for too long.

To the sheltie owner who uses Interceptor, I hate to tell you it's on the list of danger drugs too, every monthly preventative I know of is :rolleyes: . I have returned to using daily tabs, far cheaper and safer IMHO.

Cheers,

Corine

Happy its good your learning,your breeder should also be a good source of info.

The problem is vets use certain brands/products & basically it is a sales pitch on those products being the best.

When it comes to heartworm all worming we do it the very simple & old fashioned way& dont purchase any of the products from the vets,good old excelpet at the supermarket is just as good as what the vets sell.One product for each thing.

We dont use Frontline etc etc.We dont have fleas & see no reason to give the dog a chemical for no reason.I believe you can truley over use the flea stuff & when you want it to work it doesnt.

The problem with vets is many do not understand breed specific issues nor do many of there staff.

Many years ago to feed Eukanuba to a Bedlington that was CT positive would kill it.Lets face it how many have walked into the vet brought a product with no questions asked ,yes the same can happen at any stock feeds etc.

You also get the vets that when new owners take there pup in for there second jab will tell them what the breeder has suggested is not good & to feed what they seel whether that be dry,spot ons etc etc.

in our puppy kit we are very specific with what we suggest & we have even phoned vets up complaining about the tactics they pulled on new owners & the scare mongering they did with product advice & boy did the pack it when told so.

Vets can be very knowledgable but sadly most havent a clue on breed specific issues & nor do they care to learn or admit when there wrong.

Our vets are great if they have breed specific issues they will ring breeders & seek there advice.

The way i look at it with my dogs is the same i would myself,i would never take drugs or be given stuff without knowing why,the pros/cons/ups/downs & what alternatives there may be .

I remember many years ago a vet who did a radio show claimed daily heartworm was useless & it doesnt work you must only use said product which ofcourse is vet only,to put it bluntly the shit hit the fan & The vet had to apologize & admit what was aid was for profit only but many people where panicked thinking they had done wrong.

• 2 weeks later...
Happy its good your learning,your breeder should also be a good source of info.

The problem is vets use certain brands/products & basically it is a sales pitch on those products being the best.

When it comes to heartworm all worming we do it the very simple & old fashioned way& dont purchase any of the products from the vets,good old excelpet at the supermarket is just as good as what the vets sell.One product for each thing.

We dont use Frontline etc etc.We dont have fleas & see no reason to give the dog a chemical for no reason.I believe you can truley over use the flea stuff & when you want it to work it doesnt.

The problem with vets is many do not understand breed specific issues nor do many of there staff.

Many years ago to feed Eukanuba to a Bedlington that was CT positive would kill it.Lets face it how many have walked into the vet brought a product with no questions asked ,yes the same can happen at any stock feeds etc.

You also get the vets that when new owners take there pup in for there second jab will tell them what the breeder has suggested is not good & to feed what they seel whether that be dry,spot ons etc etc.

in our puppy kit we are very specific with what we suggest & we have even phoned vets up complaining about the tactics they pulled on new owners & the scare mongering they did with product advice & boy did the pack it when told so.

Vets can be very knowledgable but sadly most havent a clue on breed specific issues & nor do they care to learn or admit when there wrong.

Our vets are great if they have breed specific issues they will ring breeders & seek there advice.

The way i look at it with my dogs is the same i would myself,i would never take drugs or be given stuff without knowing why,the pros/cons/ups/downs & what alternatives there may be .

I remember many years ago a vet who did a radio show claimed daily heartworm was useless & it doesnt work you must only use said product which ofcourse is vet only,to put it bluntly the shit hit the fan & The vet had to apologize & admit what was aid was for profit only but many people where panicked thinking they had done wrong.

My vet gave this to my 10 week old Border Collie!!!!, Until now I was not aware that it could be dangerous.

and I did ask a lot the questions. What is the benefits. Does it prvide adequate protection. Is she old enough. The answer was that it is perfectly safe. He even went to another vet to confirm it was OK. Then me and the missus discussed it and we decided to go ahead. As it would save us having to remember to give it to her.

So as a new pet owner who are you going to believe?? 99% of the population seek their pet advice from their vet. Who else do they have? Sure some have responsible breeders but I would say that most do not.

Makes me very happy to have found DOL!!. I would have kept pumping her with that crap every year thinking I was doing the best for her

I will be calling the surgery tomorrow and asking if they were aware that it could cause problems. I respected my vet! His ass is now fired! :o