Puppy Trying To Eat Rocks

daccydog

G/day everyone

My 16week old puppy has been trying to eat pebbels/rocks, and as i've got a back yard full of them i'm wondering if any one has some hints to overcome this situation, she is like a vacum cleaner anything on the ground anywhere she picks up and tries to chew, she has a kong which she chews and other assorted toys to entertain herself, here's hoping someone can help

thanks daccydog

post-7631-1170837833.gif

My old dog still eats gravel (now about 10yrs old) and luckily enough he always throws them up again.

im not sure you will be able to stop him, but maybe provide him with something else to chew/eat. a nice chunky beef shank bone from the butcher will most likely take his mind off it.

either that, of if you catch him in the act, say no to him in a firm voice, take him away from the area and offer him something safe to play with.

this worked for one of mine, didn't work with the old dog tho

good luck!

sorry i cant be of more help.

I have half of my backyard as riverstones and Angus (12 wks) frequently chews on them (better than the furniture!) - but they are all large so does not swallow them.

Our old German Shepherd used to carry stones around in her mouth constantly which did cause damage to her teeth but I am talking about most of the time (we lived on orchard). You used to know when she had snuck on the bed while you were out as you would find a stone under the pillow! :rolleyes:

Tango's run is b-grade crushed rock and we've just laid screenings in front of the retaining wall and have used scoria. Tango is always chewing on rocks, and often brings them inside to chew, but never swallows them. The less attention paid, the better. If I worry about a rock he has eg: long, sharp etc, I just remove it and drop it in the bin without a word...I used to give him something as a swap, but he started bringing me LOTS of rocks.... :rolleyes:

Check droppings - if no rocks, don't worry.

[edited cos enter key is faster than brain]

Edited by TangerineDream

Both our dogs have done this, Rocky got over it after a while, and Maggie just sort of carries them around the yard and then drops it and gets another one. She never tries to swallow, just bites. Of course she bites everything so not really surprising! Unfortunately waaaaaaaaaaaaaay too many rocks to hide/cover/get rid of!

Oscar eats rocks as well!! Geez he's a little terror sometimes lol

We are digging all the rocks up and giving them to our friends who just built their house..

Oscar eats and chews EVERYTHING!!.. The vet said he's a baby and he doesn't have hands so he puts everything in his moutn

Yep our sam is another one that's likes the rocks! We only have a small area that has chip-rock it really concerns me also but it doesn't seem to be bothering him, he has plenty of toys and has a pigs ears or juicy bone to chew on but still goes for the rocks after he's finished....dogs can be weird!

He swollews some of them but they either go straight through or he chucks them up. It doesn't seem to bother him and he's been doing it for 2 months now so i'd just keep and vigilant eye on him...that's all you can do! :rolleyes:

Maggie is another rock eater. Everytime she comes in from out side she has a rock. I swap them for a treat, place them in a bucket and when I've got enough they'll decorated my rockery out the front .

She is also slowly cleaning up the backyard for me. :rolleyes:

Um... The only way to rectify the situation is to remove the rocks. Sure your dog has its puppy teeth at the mo, but once adult teeth come thru then they are the only set of teeth he/she will have. better to spend the time removing the rocks than to have a dog at 3yrs of age with severely worn down teeth.

Daccydog,

Stone eating is not unusual in puppies but it should not be encouraged. One or two stones/pebbles may not be that harmful but if the pup eats too many you could end up with problems and a trip to the Vet. This happened to me.....I also had a young pup who loved eating stones, he ate so may he would literally rattle when he jumped around. My Vet told me to keep him away from the stoned area of the yard until he was old enough from continueing the habit.

I also knew a Labrador with this annoying stone eating habit and the dog ended up on the operating table with blockages .

I have also heard that dogs who do this are lacking something that helps in their digestion, digestive enzymes(?) minerals(?) roughage(?) so they eat stones and pebbles to try and help aleviate this lack........how true this is I don't know.(?)

Be very careful dear friends of ours lost a great show dog English Setter to this only late last year. :laugh:

They are still greiving to this day and have owned and bred dogs for over 40 years.

Very experienced exhibitiors and dog people.

Dog was about 18 months old. :D

So it is not just puppies who do this, he ate it out of the blue had not ever eaten a rock before.

Stone caused a blockage in stomach, he died at the vet overnight.

But in saying this we cannot watch them 27/7 terrible things happen all the time even with the best of measures.

Malisa

Our vet said that pups will eat anything and everything they can, well at least chew it. When they are young they explore with their mouths - so that is why they pick up so many different objects.

My OH cleaned up our pups business on the weekend before he mowed and he said the stuff that was in it - she has been eating everything!! Including her mattress from her kennel - so alot of fluff...

just for the record, and in addition to my previous post my pup was eating small stones also and has completely stopped now too...he's into bigger things in the garden now like logs and palm tree leaves lol...he's becoming a big boy...so hopefully it is just a phase he will get out of as he becomes older