Can Food

AUS-STAFF

cheaper and healthier option - chicken carcasses, necks, maryland, lamb flaps and necks. I havnt fed dog cans in years, never will because pound for pound you are paying an aweful lot of money for something that is about 65%-80% water. Plus the dogs jaws get exercise and teeth are cleaned

plus canned food - farts and LOTS of sloppy poo

Some dogs don't do well on any canned food. Some dogs do very well on some canned food. Canned foods are different depending on what is in the can. What they have in common is that they are cooked in the can.

There are more nutritious alternatives to canned food, but canned food can often play a part in a healthy dog diet. canned food alone is probably not such a good idea.

Perhaps you could look at the list of ingredients, before deciding if the food is 'good' or 'bad'.

the only canned food i would touch is natures gift. others just have too much mystery meat, binders etc in them.

agree, the ingredients list is a lot less mysterious then most others. Meat and meat by products never tells me anything about whats really in the cans

I would agree that fresh food is better for dogs than any processed foods which are canned or dried, however, you need to decide for yourself what is most practical for you and best for your dog. What concerns me about canned and dried foods is that they must need to be heated to high temperatures to be preserved for that long, which means most of the nutrients are probably cooked out of them.

IMO canned food is the canine equivalent of McDonalds...just rubbish. Nature's Gift is OK in emergencies or if you have a recuperating dog. But be prepared for a loose bowel and a very stinky dog.

Why not feed fresh foods? You can see *exactly* what your dog is eating, your dog will be much healthier, you will spend less money (but you say you get the canned 'food' for free so I suppose you aren't concerned about $)...IMO fresh is best for both people and pets. :laugh:

KeepItReal...use them and see how you go...perhaps give them with a mix of kibble to add a bit more fibre etc and just see how well your dog does on them.

Ay leftover unopened tins that you don't use would probably be gratefully recieved by your local rescues...

If someone gave me free canned food I wouldn't touch it with a ten foot pole!

It's not just about the quality of the ingredients (which is to say, lack thereof), but the additives, preservatives etc.

I agree with the other in that you should do what is best for you and your dog, but I definately recommend that you research thoroughly before you make a decision.