My Little Pup Has Fleas

miss shel

Hi everyone

My little pup has fleas, he is 8 1/2 weeks old :confused:. Im not sure if he had them when we got him or he has picked them up in the garden. We dont have any other pets, but our neighbour does have several cats.

I went to the pet supply shop to buy something for him yesterday and the lady told me not to use anything on him as he is too young. I have combed him and removed as many as I can, but he is getting distressed, is there anything I can buy or do to help him?

I have read a few posts about revolution and frontline plus, but I didn't know if these were suitable.

Also I'd like to get something to treat the grass and yard, its raining very heavy today, so im not sure I can do it, but when it stops what could I use.

Thanks

Shel

Edited by miss shel

Get some pure unfiltered apple cider vinegar (the brown stuff) and add just a splash into his drinking water. Not just once or twice - but do this on a permanent basis. ACV is great for lots of things - including making the blood taste yuck to fleas. Do a search and you'll find out why you'll never be without it again :confused:

Where are the pics? :confused:

Bath and then pick off the stunned fleas by hand, I do it with my cats and when the girls were small.. also gets them used to being picked over and to sit still, the still love it when they I do it when they get out of the bath... When they have cuts or grazes they are used to sitting still as we inspect and repair the wound...

We used revolution for puppies and Advantage plus (but we are in a tick area)..

Also go down the local nursery and get some mint plants. Plant them in the yard this helps to keep fleas away. ( and the bonus is you always have some nice mint for cooking)

I also hear that fleas detest the scent of lavender and rosemary as well

I have plenty of mint, lavender and rosemary around in my yard. Also I read on a web site ( can't remember which one) that in adition to the mint, throw a couple of handfuls of lime over your lawn every so often.

Prevention is the way to go.

Cheers

Roo

Buy flea rinse & bath the pup.

Saly with roaming cats come the fleas & your neighbours cats will become an expensive exercise as the fleas will end up in your house ,garden etc & a dog going crazy.

You can use spot one at this age but if your doing heartworm with another product make sure what you use doesnt also do heartworm so you double dose.