Tranquil Paste?

mita

I saw an entry in the vet products direct catalogue for a product called Tranquil Paste. It's in a section headed

'Products for Nervous Horses'...but it says Tranquil Paste is for Horses & Dogs.

I was wondering if it'd be useful for dogs....not for serious anxiety problems....but for those 'anxious' symptoms (like the beginnings of separation anxiety) which can occur when settling in a new dog (like a fostered or adopted rescue dog).

For serious separation anxiety, my vet prescribes a low, temporary dose of valium.

But I was wondering if this Tranquil Paste might be useful for a lower scale problem.

In the catalogue, it's described:

"A source of tryptophan, B group vitamins, magnesium & cofactors. Helps induce feelings of relaxation & calm.'

Has anyone heard of Tranquil Paste or used it?

Heard of it. Read of it as part of my research into avoidance motivated aggression. I know Haven has used a product I believe to be the same/similar in that it is a source of tryptophan Tryptophan is a precurser to 5-HT which in turn is an immediate precursor to the production of serotonin. Serotonin being the brain chemical involved in the mediation of anxiety and inhibition of adaptive behaviour.

If you PM Haven to alert her to your query I am sure she'd be able to post here and tell you the name of the substance she has and has used. She has used it with good results on a dog who suffers a high degree of anxiety.

Valium inhibits memory. It can help in calming the dog but not much, if any, learning occurs. IMO Valium is a quick fix (sometimes necessary) but is not necessarily a good behaviour modification therapy.

Edited by Erny

Yep, one I my close friends has been using it for years on nervous dogs. The only problem she has found, is getting the timing right.

Warley - are you talking about Valium, or about Tryptophan (component of Tranquil paste)?

If Valium - then I agree with the above.

If Tryptophan, my understanding is that it can be used as part of the dog's "higher carb/lower protein" diet. So I don't see where "timing" comes into it.

Edited by Erny

I have used tranquil on horses with reasonable results but not on dogs. Try looking at petark CALM as well- a new product which is all natural and may help in 'taking the edge off' the dog so that learning can occur more easily. www.petark.com.au i think

Heard of it. Read of it as part of my research into avoidance motivated aggression. I know Haven has used a product I believe to be the same/similar in that it is a source of tryptophan Tryptophan is a precurser to 5-HT which in turn is an immediate precursor to the production of serotonin. Serotonin being the brain chemical involved in the mediation of anxiety and inhibition of adaptive behaviour.

If you PM Haven to alert her to your query I am sure she'd be able to post here and tell you the name of the substance she has and has used. She has used it with good results on a dog who suffers a high degree of anxiety.

Valium inhibits memory. It can help in calming the dog but not much, if any, learning occurs. IMO Valium is a quick fix (sometimes necessary) but is not necessarily a good behaviour modification therapy.

Thanks for that, Erny. I totally agree with you about Valium...only ever a quick fix...in severe cases...to prevent the initial high reactivity turning habitual. It's then the thorough, consistent behaviour modification strategies which do the trick.

I was wondering if this Tranquil Paste might be a less sledge-hammer way of hosing down the initial anxiety. Sounds promising from your description of its chemical-behavioural connections.

I'm also interested in your comments about Trytophan being possibly made part of a dog's diet. Certainly the magnesium could be...that's strongly present in oats (like oatmeal)....& the B Vitamins (something like Marmite).

This is making me wonder if dietary recommendations would be useful to include when advising re anxiety in dogs.

Cosmolo, thanks for that reference to petark CALM.

Edited by mita

Another one is Nervetona and can be purchased from the chemist, have heard good results for this.

I've followed it up & here's the list of ingredients, seems herbal:

http://www.brauer.com.au/detailedInfo.asp?...t&getPid=36

Also found a horse product called Potties Nervine Powder which seems to be a nutritional supplement based on Vitamin B...added to to horse's food. But the vet products direct catalogue doesn't indicate dogs, too, for this one.

I have heard of it being used for horses but didn't realise it was for dogs as well. It would be worth a try, as all of the ingredients are things recommended for use in moderating anxiety.

Certainly you could alter your dogs diet to include natural sources of the additives used but some are more difficult than others and there are contrindications to consider. For example, you can supplement with Tryptophan or 5HTP, but the body needs Vitamin B6 for the conversion to serotonin. Magnesium is rendered inert by flouride, so you should consider an alternative water source to that which comes out of the tap!

The stuff I use for Loki (and I've taken it myself!) is 5-HTP, which I get online from QLD. I also try to feed tryptophan rich foods, such as tuna and turkey. I'd love to switch him over to turkey as his main food instead of chicken, but I just can't find it readily available and for a decent price.

I've also used Nervatona with good results, as well as a few other preparations. Believe me, you can actually make quite a big difference in severe anxiety problems with manipulation of the nutrients your dog receives!

Believe me, you can actually make quite a big difference in severe anxiety problems with manipulation of the nutrients your dog receives!

Thanks for that, haven. This has made me realize that the one thing missing from my efforts/advice re anxiety problems in dogs...is anything to do with nutrients & diet. Shall have to fix that!

I'll follow up the 5-HTP.

Yep, one I my close friends has been using it for years on nervous dogs. The only problem she has found, is getting the timing right.

Warley - are you talking about Valium, or about Tryptophan (component of Tranquil paste)?

If Valium - then I agree with the above.

If Tryptophan, my understanding is that it can be used as part of the dog's "higher carb/lower protein" diet. So I don't see where "timing" comes into it.

Sorry, I lost the thread.

I'm referring to the tranquil paste, it's advised to be given 24 hours before and then again 4-6 hours before the "event" it's the 4-6 hours that I think my friend adjusts. I'll find out from her if it's the timing on the recommendations or the timing as in how early she would have to get up and give it, for a 9am outing etc.

;) Have not heard of that one. There used to be a natural tablet called "BE CALM" which I used for my ACD boy before a trial, so he did'nt get too hyped up about other dogs. White lidded bottle, green label. I used to get mine from Direct Pets Supplies in Preston/Northcote ( Vic)

Tranquil paste was recommended to me by a very respected local greyhound breeder/trainer/chiro.

I use it for stressed fosters and find it does help to settle them in. I also used it on a poodlex with seperation anxiety, it really helped especially when he was at the vets for desexing.

Used this product and found it to be really good.One of my old dogs injured his back,being a bit senile he needed keeping quiet.it worked very well.Also gave it to one of my boys when he was stressed & gone off food due to a bitch on heat.Settled him nicely.The tube has a dosage plunger thing on.Its a bit hard to use at first for a small dose but manageable.Just takes a bit of practise.Less drastic than Valium for sure.

Thanks, gillbear & christina (& WDT, too)....just what I wanted to hear! Something that's further down the scale than valium for the run-of-the-mill separation anxiety.

Haven, I saw Tranquil Paste in the Vet Products Direct Catalogue (online, too) $24.95 (guess postage to be added). Maybe check prices on Horse Products sites...& from produce stores.

Edited by mita