My Puppy Keeps Biting Me, I Think It Is Getting Worse.

miss shel

My puppy keeps biting, I think it is getting worse and I don't know what to do.

He is a 10.5 week old beagle.

I have tried no, yelping, putting him outside with no attention, squirting water, distracting him with toys. Nothing seems to work. Its getting to the point where you can't really play with him, cause all he wants to do is bite you. And he jaw and teeth are getting much stronger. He has heaps of toys to bite.

I start puppy school in a week, hopefully the trainer can help me but he seems to like new places, so I have a feeling he will be on his best behaviour and they wont be able to see what we mean.

Any ideas.

Thanks

Shel

Have a couple of chew toys (or even a pigs ear) close on hand. Every time he starts biting your hands etc, swap your hand for the toy or ear and praise him. If he goes back to biting your hand, get up and walk away (ignore him). It won't take long for him to get the idea.

Hope that helps.

I was told to hold the dog's mouth together firmly with your hand and growl meanly, then let go and ignore for a few second. If he did it again, repeat it. If he stops, then praise him. I never try it as mine doesn't bite, but I was told it has good result, might give it a go if nothing else fails. Good luck :)

Have a couple of chew toys (or even a pigs ear) close on hand. Every time he starts biting your hands etc, swap your hand for the toy or ear and praise him. If he goes back to biting your hand, get up and walk away (ignore him). It won't take long for him to get the idea.

Hope that helps.

My vet also told me to do this. He also reccommended that you make a sound like a puppy yelping, which is apparently what puppies often do to warn each other when play is getting too rough. You feel a bit stupid doing it, but it seemed to work.

I was told to hold the dog's mouth together firmly with your hand and growl meanly, then let go and ignore for a few second. If he did it again, repeat it. If he stops, then praise him. I never try it as mine doesn't bite, but I was told it has good result, might give it a go if nothing else fails. Good luck :hug:

I tried this last night, it is actually hard to grab his mouth to hold it together, but when I did he seems to back off. So perhaps this will work. I will stick with it for a little while, see how I go.

Thanks

Hi!

I asked Angus' trainer this too. The muzzling only works if you are strong enough to hold the puppy. You place a hand at the back of the neck and wrap the other around the muzzle coming from the bottom around. If you hold correctly you will not block their nose or wind pipe. You then need to hold the puppy until it calms right down. If he is still wriggling or pulling and you let him go then you are 'telling' him that if he keeps wriggling etc eventually you will let him go. They will get the idea very quickly. It is now a matter of seconds before Angus goes still - which is good as he is now 22kg!

Hi!

I asked Angus' trainer this too. The muzzling only works if you are strong enough to hold the puppy. You place a hand at the back of the neck and wrap the other around the muzzle coming from the bottom around. If you hold correctly you will not block their nose or wind pipe. You then need to hold the puppy until it calms right down. If he is still wriggling or pulling and you let him go then you are 'telling' him that if he keeps wriggling etc eventually you will let him go. They will get the idea very quickly. It is now a matter of seconds before Angus goes still - which is good as he is now 22kg!

Should you growl or say no if you are holding or just wait until they calm down.

What I tried last night was holding mouth closed for a few moments, growling and then let go.

Shel

I was told to hold the dog's mouth together firmly with your hand and growl meanly, then let go and ignore for a few second. If he did it again, repeat it. If he stops, then praise him. I never try it as mine doesn't bite, but I was told it has good result, might give it a go if nothing else fails. Good luck :thumbsup:

This technique certainly worked for me when I fostered a dog that had been in kennels for 2 years. He was a very excitable but also angry little guy and mouthed really hard so no wonder people didn't like him when he was shown to potential owners!!!

Probably took me a couple of weeks with this technique and he was much better. And he's still with me, 3 years later, naughty boy!!!

Necer hold a puppies muzzle .They are teething,have sore chums & often swallon gums & holding the muzzle like that will note succeed in anything but pain for the pup & getting head shy.

The simple fact is you need to assert yourself,dogs do it because its allowed.It ether starts because everyone isnt consistant,the game being played results in the pup being in control or its encourage to do something but the end result isnt what the humans want.

Nothing works because at present the dog has no respect for your commands or voice tone.He is still a baby & trying the waters but you need to start being the leader & being in charge .

Commands should be swift & with a distinct voice tone which changes from praise to discipline.

In all the years we have never done the yelping growling etc etc in our house No means No plain & simple .