Walking My Puppy And Puppy School

happystarz

I've recently began to walk my 14 week old cavalier puppy around the block (he's had his 12 week vaccination) and am looking for some tips on walking him. I often look around and see dogs obediently sitting waiting for red lights to turn green, or other dogs walking peacefully and at a pace that is equal to that of the owner, and in some cases even off leash! However, my puppy is often distracted, he attempt to run towards any person who comes near us, and may not necessarily walk in the direction i want him to (ie, he will turn around and want to follow the person who has just walked past us). I've only walked my cav about 4 times so far, in quite areas as well as along streets where there may be quite a lot of people. i just want to know what teh best approach is to teaching him to walk on a leash.

On a side note, my cav also went to his first puppy school class last week. While all the puppies were off leash and interacting with each other, i found that my cav did not seem to engage with the other puppies as much (although he loved the people in the class and would often go up to owners for a snuggle) and engage in "puppy fights" as much? He did sniffed around and was willing to sniff other puppies noses though...Overall, he was just very quiet compare to all the other puppies. We had some labradors, a border collie, a few crosses (maltese x shitz zhu, golden retriever x labrador), cocker spaniel and a little terrier etc in the class. He also cowered in the doorway after the terrier attempted to pick a fight with him. LOL. Just wanted to know if this behaviour is normal for a cav, or whether it should be an issue i need to do something about.

I would not be concerned with your pup being a little shy and withdrawn- i would be extremely concerned about the instructor letting it get to a point where your pup was cowering after another pup tried to pick a fight! That is absolutely not acceptable and should not be permitted in a puppy class. Have you spoken to your puppy instructor about the problems with walking on the lead?

Just my opinion on the walking thing (and I am not an expert), I believe it is important for your pup to know that you give the most affection and reward out of anyone else she/he is likely to meet.

I believe you need to do a few key things

1/ When he goes over to strangers (on lead) ask them to ignore him and when he comes back give him a massive amount of affection. It will only take a few times for him to work it out

2/ After this try walking him in a safe place off lead and ask some people to call him over while you keep calling his name to keep him close to you, then get them to ignore him. He will soon come back

3/ When my pup wants to go play with another dog or person and I am happy for him too, I make him sit, then I give a free command. But I get the person to call his name non stop while I make him wait for the free command.

4/ This is good for overall training, you need to get him to look at you when he is unsure so he can take your direction. One way I have read ( I didn't do it , as Erik just looked to me naturally as I spend most of the day with him) put a treat in one hand, let him see it , he will stare at it, keep saying "watch me" when he makes that split second eye connection give him the treat .

All these things just repeat and repeat.

**Now Roo sits back and waits for the flaming to begin :-) *** hahahahah

Edited by Roo

Bella was quite withdrawn at the first 2 puppy classes, then by the third, she wouldn't pay attention to me because she was too busy playing with everyone else...

So yes, I'd say that it's normal cav behaviour.

Do you use a flat collar or a harness on walks? I use a harness which gives me a bit more control over where she is...I also kepp the leash very short, so that she stays near my leg at all times. Roos ideas seem good aswell. Having the pup see you as the be-all-end-all is definitely the best method. Remember to reward for attention to you. It'll work well.

Sorry to hijack the thread, but my puppy Bison has also just started walking around the block (finally got him to stop chewing on the lead, or hitting the ground)

Although he isn't distracted by people too much and tends to follow me, run when i run etc, he stops to smell a lot of things. sometimes he will smell something for so long that it annoys me and i say "lets go" he knows this means go yet he will persist to smell the said thing in question. I know this is natural dog behaviour, but how can i make him more focused on walking and less focused on the things to smell.

keep in mind that all puppies will follow their masters for the first few weeks, as you are the leader so use it to your advantage and reinforce the commands for the action the pup does naturally. Then the day they get a taste of independence they already aware of some commands.

For interests sake

I use:

Heel

Watch Me

Ignore

Free

Sit

Fall in ( this is used to get the dog to sit between my legs/ or semi behind me, in case I need to get him out of the way at work)

Alot while I am walking my 12.5 week old. He gets most of them, it is just the reinforcing of them that needs to be done. He is only still extremely young but as we spend most of the day together he is getting it by osmosis.

Roo

I can't really add to the answers already given - just remember your pup has only just started walking - think how new and different everything is! Some pups are just 'shy' and can get overwhelmed by all the outgoing bouncy puppies at puppy school. Hopefully your pup will gain some confidence as you progress!

Just a quick question though - I have always known it to be "don't take your pup walking or to public places until 2 weeks after the 3rd vaccination" - is this not the case anymore? I know from reading this forum that some only get 2 vaccinations and they are covered. Does it depend on the vet or state (I'm in WA). All the vets I and my family and friends use do the "3 vaccinations and go out at approx 18 weeks) thing :scold: sorry if this has been done before :rofl:

we use a lead called a "gentle leader" . puppy school recommended it. Jedda didn't like it at first, but after a couple of days she is used to it - and no more pulling or chasing at all as the lead acts on their natural instinct to move their head (no pain of course). We also use small amounts of cheese on walks - to stop at corners, sit and heel as well as "watch me" when a distraction walks past. Not rewarding every time, but most.

Cheers, Kylie :scold:

Strangely enough I would be more that happy if my dog found no value in other dogs because that means the dog finds all the value in you and you get more out of the dog.

As for walking on a leash....stick to your backyard training until you're ready for the world of distractions and keep your expectations realistic :scold:

we use a lead called a "gentle leader" . puppy school recommended it. Jedda didn't like it at first, but after a couple of days she is used to it - and no more pulling or chasing at all as the lead acts on their natural instinct to move their head (no pain of course). We also use small amounts of cheese on walks - to stop at corners, sit and heel as well as "watch me" when a distraction walks past. Not rewarding every time, but most.

Cheers, Kylie :scold:

I really wouldn't be reccomending a head halter for any dog especially a puppy. If you have a puppy and you're attending obedience then you won't need a head halter. If your dog sees you as a leader it will want to walk with you not ahead of you doing whatever it wishes to do.

Edited by sas