Chew Toy Ideas

Cath

Our 10 week old Belgian pup is really moving into a chew stage. I have bought some toys but she still prefers "real items". Any puppy chew toy suggestions that would also stand up to being stolen by the two older belgians. I am thinking a small kong, but wonder if something with dangling appendages might be more interesting.

Cath

Jedda also much prefers any belongings of ours! :thumbsup:

I have given her an old pair of Haviana thongs which she can lick my scent off and also chew until her heart is content. An old towel in the bed is also good.

I think it is all about her having items that she can smell hubby and myself on....

For a heavily teething dog, those stuffed dog toys that squeek keep interest. Personally, Jedda isn't too keen on Kongs, but hey, each dog to their own!!

Good luck.

:thumbsup: Make a knot rope out of old teatowels, wet it and put it in the freezer!! Works a treat!

ahhh thats a good one ,might try that, mystafford doesnt really chew things , like milk bottles etc.. he loves his nylabone and his tug toy,, hes a weird one..

Jedda also much prefers any belongings of ours! :scold:

I have given her an old pair of Haviana thongs which she can lick my scent off and also chew until her heart is content. An old towel in the bed is also good.

I think it is all about her having items that she can smell hubby and myself on....

For a heavily teething dog, those stuffed dog toys that squeek keep interest. Personally, Jedda isn't too keen on Kongs, but hey, each dog to their own!!

Good luck.

Oooh, careful with the shoes. I once gave my cocker spaniel pup an old shoe of mine - the left one, which she loved. But, for the rest of her life she chewed every left shoe I ever owned. Sometimes when my foot was still in it :rofl: !

Jedda also much prefers any belongings of ours! :scold:

Good luck.

Oooh, careful with the shoes. I once gave my cocker spaniel pup an old shoe of mine - the left one, which she loved. But, for the rest of her life she chewed every left shoe I ever owned. Sometimes when my foot was still in it :rofl: !

:scold: That is funny Benny.

Yes madam Jedda has a bit of a shoe fetish. Stole one of my work shoes and chewed the leather off the heel. Didn't realise the next morning, was in a rush and walked around the office all day with a plastic heel on one foot. When I realised, threw the other bl**dy shoe at her. I know I shouldn't have, but she is still licking out my foot odour 4 weeks later :rofl:

I have realised that it is not a good idea to give a chew toy which is the same as something you own which you do not want chewed eg shoes!

I was advised to give Angus an old t shirt of mine when I left him as it would have my scent and make him feel more secure - yeah well...now he likes to steal my clothes at any given opportunity. I let him chew on the towel I used to bathe him and now I find he runs off with my towel when I am in the shower!

I find kongs, iceblocks flavoured with stock and treats etc and pig's ears or trotters great (be sure to reduce food allowance). Angus loves his soft toys (ones which squeak and rattle) and an empty soft drink bottle which makes a horrific noise on wooden floors!

Take him to the pet store - he will chose something! :scold:

thank you to everyone. I was worried about giving her "old" clothes, and so wont do it.

The tea towel sounds great. Guess I need 3 old tea towels - 1 for the pup and 2 for the old dogs. Maybe a water enclosed frozen chicken neck in the old dogs towel might help.

Thank you again.

Cath

No one has suggested a bone?

Our dog loves to chew on bones, brisket bones, cos its tough enought o slow him down, but soft enough he can actually chew through it.

He will chew it for an hour, sleep for an hour, chew it for an hour then hide it :laugh:

We could get him to chew anything like a dog toy until we got him the rope with the knots in the end, the end bits are all frayed. He LOVES this toy, in fact its the only thing he will play fetch with.

i just bought an 'indistructable treat ball' and the 'stones' to fit - cant remember who makes them but i got it from petbarn - wasnt cheap but is cheaper than repairing walls :laugh:!! she LOVES it, she only gets it when were out and i fill the middle with liver treats and she can chew at the stones all day - the first one has lasted a week ;) and shes very excited to get it everyday ;)

thank you to everyone. I was worried about giving her "old" clothes, and so wont do it.

The tea towel sounds great. Guess I need 3 old tea towels - 1 for the pup and 2 for the old dogs. Maybe a water enclosed frozen chicken neck in the old dogs towel might help.

Thank you again.

Cath

Bones seem like a real good idea - dog EQUALS bones. Mine loves it for sure, BUT everytime we give her bones, she's had an upset tummy everytime. Diarrhea for a week each time, vomitting along with a few chunks of bones with it. So be careful.

When we first got her, we bought her a fluffy kong toy and it is still in tact. She just likes squeezing it to make noise and she's a 6-month old Staffy! We've given her the plastic bottles, tug toys, squeaking rubber (non-toxic) ducks, balls and the kong treat dispenser which is awesome. This keeps her entertained for hours! We also put away the chew toys when we're around barr fluffy kong. The others come out to play when we leave her for extended periods.

• 2 weeks later...
Our 10 week old pup has great fun with plastic bottles. He loves the noise and the fact that they ''play back'' - well that is what it seems when he pushes them and they roll away and he goes chasing!

Seems like I have to try empty bottles with Laffi as well! Thanks for the tip :laugh:

:laugh: Roo

When Ed was a pup we gave him a brisket bone twice, both times he spent the night throwing up, so even though I know that heaps of dogs have them I personally don't

Plastic bottles are loved by Molly, and Ed really doesn't chew on alot of things, he's pretty good really, he'd prefer to sleep!

Edited by shoemonster

:rofl: Roo

When Ed was a pup we gave him a brisket bone twice, both times he spent the night throwing up, so even though I know that heaps of dogs have them I personally don't

Plastic bottles are loved by Molly, and Ed really doesn't chew on alot of things, he's pretty good really, he'd prefer to sleep!

Is there anything you sholdn't give them to chew. For example, I heard a story the other day about a very ill dog who obviously had some kind of obstruction. When they operated on her, they found chewed up bits of a soccer ball! Do most dogs just chew, but not eat or do you have to be reaaly careful with what you give them.