Clicker Training

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is there any advantage with an "iClicker"? "Quieter, for sound-sensitive dogs or classes" ??

The only advantage I have found with an i-click is that I know which way is "up" - or the fact that you can click just about anywhere on it. Found this out the hard way when I went to training without my clicker and borrowed someone's "tab" clicker. Stormy performed a perfect recall with straight sit that I went to click, but couldn't. It was only then that I found out that you can only click on one end of a tab clicker. Thankfully she is used to me "marking" her correct with a "yes" so I was still able to capture her recall.

I started using the clicker for doing some trick training - because some of the things I wanted to work on really needed that ability to pin-point something that I just couldn't do without a clicker. Unfortunately....somehow (and don't ask me how) one of the dogs got to the clicker, and now it is chewed and doesn't work all that reliably *waves fist at the dogs*

I like both the box and i click. the iclick doesn't get food stuck in it (LOL!) but can easily be 'clicked when you are 'playing' with the dog or if it is sitting in your pocket :rofl:. The box click doesn't tend to do that, but is louder and less ergonomic :).

Any other questions about clickers don't be afraid to PM me if you want info! I am a BIG fan :rofl:. Give it a go wagalot - I use both word and clicker - i'm trying to post vids in the video section (lots of tricks) so you'll be able to see me there using both voice and clicker :rofl:. You'll also see Leo 'understand' straight away as soon as he hears the click what it means!

Ok, I have a really stupid clicker training question.

I have been working on Micha's stays, I was wondering, when should I click him if I want him to stay for, say, 10 seconds. If he gets to five seconds and he is staying, should I click him to let him know he is doing the right thing or should I only click him just before I give him a treat (so when the 10 seconds is up).

Hope this makes sense :)

Not a stupid question - actually one of long standing argument.

A click marks a behaviour - but does it mark the start or end of one?

IMHO it marks the end because a treat always follows the click. So if you want a 20 second stay - you click at the end of 20 seconds - if you want a 2 minutes stay - the same applies

You can use a "keep going" signal to help

http://www.shirleychong.com/keepers/archives/keepgoing.txt

Ok, I have a really stupid clicker training question.

I have been working on Micha's stays, I was wondering, when should I click him if I want him to stay for, say, 10 seconds. If he gets to five seconds and he is staying, should I click him to let him know he is doing the right thing or should I only click him just before I give him a treat (so when the 10 seconds is up).

Hope this makes sense :)

This is where clicker trainers begin to divert husky and by no means is one right over the other. To me a clicker is a 'marker' and doesn't always mark the 'end' of a behaviour. It means what they were doing at that 'exact' moment was correct. When I am teaching tricks, or just beginning, I don't mind if the click marks the end of behaviour, but as I get further down the track, the dog must hold until 'released' at which point I may re-introduce my verbal bridge such as 'yes'.

So.... you could do this in one of 2 ways - do as oz pet rescuer says and only click at the end. You could 'remind' the dog 1/2 way through - say for example, Micha can only do a 10 second sit-stay. At 5 seconds you will say "stay" again, and then at 12 seconds return (the 'reminder' helps you add on duration). The next time you won't say the reminder until say about "8" secs....

You may decide to use your verbal bridge word and say "yes" to the dog 1/2 way through and not click until the end?

Or you may decide to click 1/2 way through, return to give the food and head off again.

I do a bit of 2 & 3. I will sometimes say 'yes' out with my dog so I don't need to return but the dog knows it is doing right, or I may click and then return to the dog, reward and then release for a play. I will always click when they are 'staying' at whatever distance I am at though.

Hope that makes sense - there is no definitive answer - just do what you think you should in terms of what you believe the clicker should be used for :rofl:

Leopuppy - I agree with what you say in so far as when I am teaching a trick or a new behaviour I will break it down and teach the elements. For instance for a spin - I click and reward a head turn, then a part body turn, then a half turn, etc but once Ive clicked the "more advanced" behaviour I would no longer click for simple head turn and so on.

Leopuppy - I agree with what you say in so far as when I am teaching a trick or a new behaviour I will break it down and teach the elements. For instance for a spin - I click and reward a head turn, then a part body turn, then a half turn, etc but once Ive clicked the "more advanced" behaviour I would no longer click for simple head turn and so on.

yes, that makes it so much easier to get the point across. But then I may also click my dog when he does something, yet still expect him to hold the position - not for very much though, so I guess I don't know where I stand on that one as usually if I want the dog to continue to hold the position I use my verbal "yes". But say for example, my dog does a drop, I may click when he goes down but I expect him to hold it until released......

again, not very often I do that as I usually only use the clicker for tricks, beginning training, refining training or shaping. For proofing and 'building' distance/duration I use the verbal.

make sense???

Wow thanks guys, great advice. Leopuppy I completely get what you are saying about giving the dog a "reminder" during the stay, I think I will try do that I just wasn't sure if it was good to repeat myself or not.

Wow thanks guys, great advice. Leopuppy I completely get what you are saying about giving the dog a "reminder" during the stay, I think I will try do that I just wasn't sure if it was good to repeat myself or not.

so long as you are not saying it every 5 seconds, I don't see why not :) Works great at building up to looong stays - say from a 1 min to a 3 min out of sight - lets them know they are still doing the right thing IMO :rofl:

leopuppy - personally I do not click unless it is the end of a behaviour and I am going to make a change. that change may be to do the same behaviour again (keep the mutt thinking).

So yes - my dog doesn't break when I click but that is probably more closely associated with the release command than anything else. The clicker is a marker of correct behaviour and more often than not it marks the end of a behaviour. I would never however use it as a keep going signal.

Also, Personally I dont reinforce stay - I reinforce what the dog is doing - sit, drop or stand.

Once my dog knows sit drop and stand I teach stay - they learn stay means dont move, but I reinforce the position while training. Stay it really a little superfluous.

Sit, Stay

Sit

Sit

Click/Treat/Release command

Wagalot, if you havent already bought one, pm me and i will put one in the post for you. I finally cleaned up the dog training equipment cupboard and found like 10 of the bloody things

I have the IClicks, http://www.clickertraining.com/store/?item=newiclick

hey tollersowned......no i haven't bought one yet :vomit: if that offer stills stands i will have 2 :vomit: how much do u want for them????

pm me and i will exchange details if you like :rofl:

geez u don't want to know whats in my dogs cupboard :rolleyes: emmm need a semi truck to get rid of all my unwanted junk :mad

hay leopuppy.......can u send me some info on clicker training???? sounds good, i do trick training to and think it might just sharping up Coopers tricks.

Off topic a lil.........how do u up load vids on here????

I would love to show off some tricks too :vomit::mad

leopuppy - personally I do not click unless it is the end of a behaviour and I am going to make a change. that change may be to do the same behaviour again (keep the mutt thinking).

So yes - my dog doesn't break when I click but that is probably more closely associated with the release command than anything else. The clicker is a marker of correct behaviour and more often than not it marks the end of a behaviour. I would never however use it as a keep going signal.

Also, Personally I dont reinforce stay - I reinforce what the dog is doing - sit, drop or stand.

Once my dog knows sit drop and stand I teach stay - they learn stay means dont move, but I reinforce the position while training. Stay it really a little superfluous.

Sit, Stay

Sit

Sit

Click/Treat/Release command

Yeah - each to their own. LOL - clicker trainers that 'bridge' and those that end behaviour. I do a bit of both, and like you say - more often than not it marks the end of behaviour. But I may click, say for example in a 'stay' when I am x distance away. I expect my dog to stay in position until I return to deliver the treat - then they are released. that is probably one of the few times when the release and click are not closely related :rofl:

hay leopuppy.......can u send me some info on clicker training???? sounds good, i do trick training to and think it might just sharping up Coopers tricks.

Off topic a lil.........how do u up load vids on here????

I would love to show off some tricks too :vomit::vomit:

Upload vids - upload them onto youtube first (you need to sign up) and then post the link :rolleyes:.

clicker training - check out the links on my webpage - also check out poodle wranglers thread 'clicker training DVD's' I think I posted one there..... If you need more - they are on my computer at home :rofl:!