What Fish Do You Feed Your Dogs And How Often?

My parents give their pound crossbreed a can of no-name brand sardines a week- cheap, he loves them and coat looks better since they started.

I've been giving our new pup some tuna 2-3 times a week, mixed with rice and/or kibble. Loves it. He's a furry hoover! He ate a fish oil capsule whole after I dropped one.

BTW: Any way to stop pups inhaling their food? I don't fancy handfeeding pet mince or tuna (pong!), but will if needed.

My parents give their pound crossbreed a can of no-name brand sardines a week- cheap, he loves them and coat looks better since they started.

I've been giving our new pup some tuna 2-3 times a week, mixed with rice and/or kibble. Loves it. He's a furry hoover! He ate a fish oil capsule whole after I dropped one.

BTW: Any way to stop pups inhaling their food? I don't fancy handfeeding pet mince or tuna (pong!), but will if needed.

I also would like to know how to encourage my 9 weeks old GR to stop hoovering her food and start chewing it :rofl: !!!

I never have her fish yet but I will start this week!

Since reading this thread, I have given my dogs some sardines. I didn't realise that fish was good for them :laugh:

They absolutely love it. I am very popular at the moment with them. :laugh:

I'm going to start giving them 1 tin twice a week, over their dry food.

Brock is looking amazing!!! He has grown so much and his coat...I need my sunnies to look at it!!! :champagne: I don't have pups, but my adult girls get a tin of sardines or a tin of pink salmon split between the two of them twice per week. Between that and the Eagle Pack their coats are looking good too. :cheers:

I also would like to know how to encourage my 9 weeks old GR to stop hoovering her food and start chewing it :champagne: !!!

I never have her fish yet but I will start this week!

Someone suggested to me to put large rocks in their bowl, so they have to move them around. Alas I have no suitable rocks. I'm convinced my pup would try to eat them if too small.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Norsgra,

I've been paying attention to our dogs' coats (since seeing your pics of Brock and HH's pics of the others). Since we started including sardines, tuna, yoghurt and raw eggs (about 6 weeks ago) our pound puppies coats just shimmer and shine and feel so soft.

Now the thing is, I also eat sardines, tuna, yoghurt and soft boiled eggs and my hair is nowhere as shiny as theirs - I'm thinking of swapping my Weet-Bix for Nutro :laugh: .

I'm not sure what is causing their coats to look and feel so spectacular so I guess it's just the combination of the above . Just keep doing what you are doing as Brock looks fabulous :laugh: .

Guest Clover

I usually give sardines, tuna, makeral in oil to the dogs a couple of times a week.. or when i think about it :laugh:. Clover loves fresh raw sardines from the market though, but i hardly get down to melbourne to get them for her.

I give my dog a tin of sardines in spring water twice a week plus flaxseed oil (contains the different types of Omega oils) so he has a shiny coat and it gets rid of the dry flakey skin which is a breed related condition.

Yea, Bronte gets tinned sardines and tuna (usually the cheapest brand) several times most months, and she loves them.

Also occasionally tinned mackerel and fresh/cooked fish giblets/pickings when we cook fish meals for ourselves.

I have also heard that raw whole fish/fish heads can be quite good for dogs every now and then, but I fear the finer/tiny/bones or sharp/shattering bone structures in some of them would pose too great a risk and/or challenge for me to pick through and filter out etc. so this is very rare for our dog.