Dremel Rpm For Nails

Griffo

Hi, I recently got myself a wonderful Dremel Multipro and I thought i might try it on Ellie's nails as clippers just don't seem to do the job very well (or maybe i just don't know how to use them!!) I've read up on the process and I have also read thru some of the previous threads on this topic, so I am all set to go except for one small (okay, BIG) concern...

I have the Dremel Multipro 395VW which has variable speeds. On the box it says the minimum speed it does is 10,000rpm.

Before I attempt to butcher my dog, I was wondering if anyone could tell me whether they think this speed would get her nail too hot, causing her pain?

Speeds.....................Variable 10,000-37,000 rpm <----- from website

Thanks in advance!!

Hi Rachelle, I bought a cheaper brand initially that also had a minimum speed of 10 000. I was not happy using it so bought the dremel golf cleaning kit off ebay (only about $40 inc postage). I found this much better to control and safer to use. Lowest speed about 6000 I think.

Edited by badboyz

Sorry, I have a cordless Dremmel which only has nos. 1-10 on a dial. I use 4, but don't leave the sandpaper in contact with the dog's nail for a long time, so it doesn't get too hot. A Dremel's been a godsend with a puppy with sharp nails and front dewclaws.

IMO: Try the slower speeds, then go up from there. You can always try a bit of Dremelling on the back of your heel if you have some rough/ hard skin there, even your toenail :laugh: . Are you using the finer sandpaper? I find using a too coarse sandpaper gives a poor result- nail left with a "chewed up" appearance.

Addit: My kids (eta: human ones) were fascinated by the Dremel- I found the 8 year old dremelling his own toenails!

Edited by Poodle wrangler

i have the golf kit version :rofl: (much cheaper than the full one :)) and use the slow setting.

I would try it, leave in contact for a very short period and then feel it with your finger to gauge how hot its getting. i did my kids back feet last night (i alternate different nights so they dont have to put up with it so long!) i treid the higher setting on my tool and found it was too quick - took too much off to quick and i got very close to a quick.

i have found while in the process of doing the dogs i do tend to catch my own nails while trying to hold their toes in a good position!! :laugh:

thanks for the replies!! most helpful. I absolutely love my dremel and originally bought it for my jewellery making...but last night i had a brain wave while i was trying to clip Ellie's nails....maybe i could find yet another use for my mighty dremel....

I bought a cheaper brand initially that also had a minimum speed of 10 000. I was not happy using it

Yes this is what i was worried about, was it because it spun too fast, creating too much heat? Or because it wasn't good quality?

Are you using the finer sandpaper? I find using a too coarse sandpaper gives a poor result- nail left with a "chewed up" appearance.

I wasn't too sure which sandpaper to use on her claws, so thanks for that Poodle wrangler. :rofl:

i have found while in the process of doing the dogs i do tend to catch my own nails while trying to hold their toes in a good position!!

lol....i wont have that problem...i am a chronic nail biter, so they are well and truly out of the way. :):rofl:

My kids were fascinated by the Dremel- I found the 8 year old dremelling his own toenails!

:laugh::rofl: I have to say tho, I can understand his fascination...I am ADDICTED to my dremel!!

Rachelle have you read this site: http://homepages.udayton.edu/~merensjp/doberdawn/index.html

She recommends between 5000 - 7500 rpm.

I am not used to using these tools so was not comfortable using the faster one. I felt I had less control of the nail. No idea if it was due to the speed or the qualtiy. If you are used to your dremel I suggest you give it a try and see how it feels. Good thing about the golf kit is it is very small, lightweight, comes in a little carry bag - easy to throw in the tack box.

Yea thanks Badbyz, I have come across that site before which is why I asked this question (it is a great site, isn't it!!!)

I mainly want to know if anyone has been able to use 10000rpm on their dogs nails without discomfort. Although she suggests a speed slightly slower I wasn't sure whether it is enough to make that much difference.

And yeah i might give it a try as you suggest, might just try it on some wood and see how quickly it heats the wood up to give me a bit of an idea how long i can hold it there for...

wish me luck!!!

I use the cheap $12 one from Bunnings.

Cordless, heeps of attachments.

I do it in a sweeping motion away from the nail, i don't hold it on.

Iv'e also done my neighbours 4 yr old Staffy with it, no issues.

I don't know about the golf kit version, but the Multipro I got from Mitre 10 for $114 with an extra little case with additional bits.

However you can get a Multipro for just under $100 without the extra bits and just add to it yourself. The thing I like about the Multipro is that you can use it for just about anything you can think of - drilling, sanding, polishing, cutting, grinding - they are so much fun to use too.

Probably a bit more expensive than the other models you can buy, but I think it is worth every cent - that's if you are going to use it for more than just trimming a dog's nails.

ETA: it also comes with a 5 year warranty.

Edited by Rachelle

Guest kitakins

i have that $12 one. i bought it a while back for engraving. i hate it. battery doesnt last long and wont work while charging. battery still drains even though its hooked up to the mains power!

i have the 12 dollar one too. i love it, i have done 2 dogs and battery still lasted, and i have used it with cord in as well and it worked fine. heaps of attachments , have done heap of engraving and sanding with it too for the bird cage breeding box..lol.

for 12 dollars you cant go wrong, i was told bunnings always have them.

lol my 10 yeah old son is fasinated with it to and did the same on his nails..lol :laugh:

Sway does the ebay one you put up come with the bits needed for doing the dogs nails?

ETA would Mitre 10 have something similar?

Yep has the bits for nails. has 60 bits to chose from.

You can also buy more bits if you want.

And the bits for my nails, rough heels and the kids toys. :laugh:

I use it to neaten up sharp plastic on the kids toys if it has some.

Im not sure if Mitre 10 would have them or not.

I mainly want to know if anyone has been able to use 10000rpm on their dogs nails without discomfort. Although she suggests a speed slightly slower I wasn't sure whether it is enough to make that much difference.

Hi Rachelle,

my grinder runs at 10,000 rpm and I have no problem with it at all. I have left the sanding disc in contact with the nail for up to 15 seconds without the dog showing any discomfort.

Hi Rachelle,

my grinder runs at 10,000 rpm and I have no problem with it at all. I have left the sanding disc in contact with the nail for up to 15 seconds without the dog showing any discomfort.

Curlyking!! yay thanks a heap for that, exactly what i wanted to know...!! Now i dont have to spend $12 on a new one lol!! thanks heaps

;) I have a Dremel and used to run it on about #3 or #4 (it goes to #10 so I presume it is referring to RPM). Would only work on a nail for no more than 3 seconds. I'd then go to the next and the next etc. Then return to the first one .... so on and so forth. And Kal's nails were TOUGH and THICK! I guess it depends on how close to the quick you are as to how quickly the nail heats up. But no way could I give one nail a constant 15 seconds of application.

Here's a link to a web-site on Dremel Tips/Hints that might help some here. Go to the left of the page and click on "How to Dremel Dog Nails".

Edited by Erny