Weeing On Bedding...help!

jlb

Hi there, I am hoping people might be able to offer some advice with my piddling puppy!!!

She is a 15 week old Staffordshire Bull Terrier and is just not getting the toilet training thing.

She is able to come inside during the day but sleeps outside under the back verandah with our 12 month old Cavalier. They have a fully lined kennel or mattress to sleep on.

When she comes in I am sure to take her for regular toilet breaks and 90% of the time she is good but she has no cues that she wants to go. She could be walking along and just stop and wee then keep going as though nothing happened.

Outside is even worse. Every morning I go outside and there is wee and poo on the verandah and in addition she has usually done a wee either in the kennel or on the mattress. I didn't think that dogs were meant to do this!!

I am considering buying a crate and trying that but am not sure if it will work considering she is already piddling on her bed!

Can anyone help?????

She is 15 weeks old , and can only hold on for so long.

When she comes in I am sure to take her for regular toilet breaks and 90% of the time

You have to do the same thing for outside.

She needs to be taken to the spot you want her to use, other wise she has no idea.

Should I be getting up overnight and going out to her to take her to the toilet even though she has free access to the area?

I am taking her to a regular spot during the day.....I thought I would keep her on a leash and try that for today but that hasn't been too successful. She was sitting next to me and when she got up there was a puddle.....I am not sure how she even managed to wee from that position!!

The joys of toilet training!!!!

Hi Jodie... it seems our pups all seem to be having the same sorts of things, roo mentioned erik is getting better but still poo's on the deck sometimes... Cayenne is getting better but still has accidents inside as well...

In reference to the crate thing, part of the theory is that they won't wee where they sleep, so you have to make the sleep area small enough that they cant wee at one end and sleep at the other... At the moment Cynda could even wee in the kenel and then go sleep on the matress... or vice versa... Cayenne had a problem 3 or so weeks ago with wee'ing in her crate - i posted in this forum about it, since taking 1/3rd of her crate space away and removing the matress and replacing it with 2 small towels she hasn't had a problem... I recomend a crate - but if you do this then you need to be in ear shot of her during the night to know when she needs let out... because they are still young and eventually she will just have to go. Cayenne sometimes lasts all night but mostly she is up around 5am to be let out.

Good luck with it, I am planning a massive assault on cayenne's toilet training from friday this week as I know I am going to have time to concentrate on it then... I'll be setting 30 min timers so she has 30 mins of play after going to the toilet, then she is out to go again, if she doesn't go in 5 minutes she goes in her crate for 10 minutes then outside again, repeat this until she does go, once she does she gets another 30 mins play time... I have read that if you can do this for 2 or 3 days constantly then pups of this age *should* be pretty well sorted out... we'll see! ;)

I experienced this problem with Angus too but I did not use a crate. He had blankets etc on a trampoline bed (daytime bed). He would pee on it and then would also sleep on it so I ended up with smelly pup!

Yesterday I discovered that the cat has taken to peeing on his daytime bed and he was still sleeping on it!

As Red posted, we are all having the same issues. The crate has worked well. I am one of those people that wake a few times each night, so I take Erik out just before I go to bed (10.30pm) then around 1.30-2.00am and then at around 5.00 ish. Each time he just looks at me, stretches and heads for the garden , does his wee and trots back to bed. The 5.00am stop he does number 2's then 1's in a different spot.

He has wee'ed in his bed twice in the week I have had the crate. I have the same size as Red's but haven't partitioned it off. Will do this if the wee's in the crate continue.

He then gets breakfast at around 6.00 and normally does another poo just before or just after.

Mycatmilo: Erik is also a manky dog, he loves to sleep in his wee. :)

a friend of mine has just rung me to ask what she should do about her pup weeing on its bed!

it sleeps outside on a tramp bed, but it wee's on it, she is constantly cleaning it, she uses vinegar to get rid of the smell, but she keeps doing it.

am listening to all your suggestions to give her :)

Ultimately - make the bed small so they can't get away from the wee, and give them bedding that the wee doesnt soak into so much so they can't get away from it easily...

Since cayenne had her problems cutting down the size of her crate, and removing her nice cushy foam matress - replacing it with just a towel she hasn't had another incident in her sleeping area... Roo maybe you could think of getting that big cushy thing erik has out of there, might help if he keeps having problems... Cayenne doesn't care about sleeping on the towels btw, she sleeps just as well - sometimes she moves it and sleeps on the plastic base!!

Edited by RedStafford

consider the weather. Fern is 6 months old and fully housetrained but pee's on the carpet on the back verandah when the ground is wet! Last night it was raining and I dreaded what the carpet would be like but she peed on the mattress (in it's waterproof covering thankfully) and the bedding was soaked. Easily washed but...... The back verandah is now blocked off so Fern can only go in the backyard, the dog yard or in the kennel! Hopefully she will get used to wet feet and go where she is supposed to go. Only ever have this problem when the ground is wet and have never had this problem with a dog before. If I take her up the back she runs back to the verandah to pee and I can't get there in time to stop her. Tomorrow when I am home from work I'll put her on a long line when I walk her around the back yard so she can't make the mad dash to dry ground :rofl: When I'm not home she'll be blocked off.

I think what Red was saying is true that she has too big an area to sleep on so can pee one end and sleep the other or just use the kennel as the toilet and sleep on the mattress.

I have ordered a crate from the local pet shop so should get it in the next couple of days and will bring her inside and start crate training.

Rebanne with regards to the weather it has rained here today so weeing on the verandah has increased as my little girl also does not like getting her feet wet. I take her out to the lawn and she runs back to the verandah to wee......I am also going to use a leash next time we go out for a toilet break.

Thanks for all advice.....it has been much appreciated.

Oh this brings back memories. :rofl:

I had the same problem with Paris!!!

I dont know how to attach an old thread but if you search my topics, go back to the start of my post's and you will see that I posted one regarding the same thing.

Did get LOTS of advice from other DOLers.

For me, Paris grew out of it, but I had to really watch her signs (her ears would go back) and the fact she figured out she got attention (not always positive attention) from me when I relised she'd wet the bed.

My dog, I was rotating FOUR beds at atime.

Good luck, keep us posted! :rolleyes:

forgot to add, make sure you clean the bed well!!! Get rid of the smell of urine out of it.

My boys pee and poop in same places now. They both grew out of peeing everywhere.

Mind you when the weather is crappy they will pee/poop closer to the house.

Mind you when the weather is crappy they will pee/poop closer to the house.

:rofl::rofl: Paris as well.

Big tough dogs when the sun shines but god help them if its raining LOL

Lately Humphrey (our boxer living with my BF) has been pooping under the awning...his reason...the BF hasnt mowed the lawn in a fortnight so its pretty long cause of the rain. But on the short grass he will prance around like a tough dog.

I'm sorry if someone has already mentioned this, but..................from what I remember puppies bladders aren't completely developed until around the age of 6 months.

Our staffy was the same, just a little slow but she got there with a little maturity.

Good luck........... :thumbsup:

Hi again,

The crate arrived yesterday so I put Cynda in it last night. She went in without a drama and had an initial bark and then went to sleep. I have partitioned it off so she only has a small area and a couple of towells to sleep on.

I took her for a toilet trip at midnight, then got up at 4am as I hadn't heard anything from her, she was fast asleep on a puddle of wee!!!! Still took her out but she did not do anything. I then changed her bedding.

My OH took her out again at 7am but it was too late and she was sleeping on another wee.

Have decided tonight to set the timer for every 2 hours and see how we go. She doesn't cry or indicate that she wants to go to the toilet and is quite happy to sleep on her wee!!!!!

Sorry if you have been through this before but puppies are like babies. Keep you awake all night and need constant attention. Crate, outside or inside - you have to set your personal clock and take them where you want them to pee. Praise them when they do it and "try" to get some sleep before the next episode. I used newspaper to start with (and they proudly peed on the newspaper I was reading once they got the gist).

You hear about these "perfect" dogs that get it straight away - they exist, I had one. BUT ... the rest are a trial and error ,sleep deprivation nightmare. Don't lose hope, they kind've get it eventually and you will freak out with joy!