Great Barko Dog Food

My dogs are currently on this kibble and I've found it really good for weight gain. I also like that it doesn't swell if you soak it, it just turns to mush so I don't bother anymore.

Even Daegon seems to not mind this kibble, so while he's eating it, it's staying :champagne:

Yes, I have been using both this and Uncle Albers which is made by the same people. The difference as I can see it is that the uncle albers is slightly smaller. Cost is about $25 for 22kg bag and I buy it at either Robbos Pet Barn or my local produce store. All in all I think it an excellent food looking at my dogs. However, they do only get it 2 or 3 times a week as a rule

Yep, I have to say my dogs coats are better on this food than they were on the Bonnie Working Dog.

That formula used to do really well for my guys, but for the last few months I've noticed Kovu doesn't hold his weight as well and I had to feed much more of the Bonnie to Daegon to get him to hold a decent weight. I've been able to drop back from 7 (yes, 7 :rofl:) cups of Bonnie for Daegon to 3 1/2 of the Barko and he's starting to gain :)

The kibble is definitely much more moist than most. It's still a dry food, but it does seem to feel more oily.

I love it because it has done my dogs wonders, shiny coats, weight gain for the impossible to hold weight dog AND it's cheap, which is always nice. Not often anything to do with dogs is cheap :dropjaw:

I was told that Uncle Albers was good for greyhounds as it has more oils than most other dry foods.........anyone had any experience, I haven't tried it yet.

We have been using it for about 3 months. It has been great. Roxy has allergies (no idea if they are environmental or food related), and since going onto Uncle Albers I have seen a slight improvement. Don't get me wrong, her allergies are far from better, but there has been a slight improvement. Her paws were looking up for a while, but have since slipped again. But her ears are where I see the improvement. She has not had a yeast infection since being on this food. And of course her coat, which is lovely.

I have used every super premium food under the sun, with not even a slight affect on the allergies..... until I tried this food!!!!!

Edited by roxy's mum

Where can I get some from to try? Can anybody post the analysis and ingredients up? I'm off to search on Google. Now is Uncle Albers the brand and Barko the name or vice versa?

They're two different foods - Uncle Alber's and Great Barko but both are made by the same company Lauke Mills (the flour company)

Can't help with the ingredient list I'm afraid but maybe someone above might post it ... Shek ?

Edited by Hazz

I seen some dogs on this, not too ad but seem to poo by the bucket load ? :confused:

I don't have a problem with a lot of poo. What comes out of my dogs is a small amount of hard poo. Maybe because I only feed about 1/2 cup together with chicken necks or mince of some sort being the majority of the feed.

Sorry I too have emptied the bag and binned it. However, I have a feeling that the ingredient list was on the forum not too long ago.Perhaps a search would bring it up. I know Ilooked at the list and although it could have been better it was not the worst I've seen by a long shot

I did a DOL search and found this info posted

by ellz

Have a look for Great Barko. Australian made in South Oz by Laucke Mills. I pay $25.50 for 22kg. Main ingredients are meat and meat by-products (beef, lamb, chicken, pork and fish) without heaps of cereal fillers. I have spoken to the company when I had queries and they answered all of my concerns readily and without bullshite.It is excellent for gaining weight...isn't one which produces voluminous, sloppy, fluffy cr*p and most dogs seem to like it. I've had to put my fatties on a diet and my Stafford bitch looks like a fat, black, shiny seal. HIGHLY recommend it.

by ellz

Great BarkoBeef, lamb, chicken, pork, fish, cooked cereals, wheaten bran, canola, soyLysine, methionite, antioxidant, bentoniteVit A, D3, E, K, B1, B2, B6, B12, niacin, pantothentate, folic acid, biotinCalcium, phosporus, sodium, chloride, cobalt, copper, iodine, iron, manganese, selenium, zincProtein 20%Fat 10%Fibre 5%Customer information number 08 85628340I have been feeding 2 American Cockers and 3 Staffordshire Bull Terriers on this food now for nearly 3 weeks. They are ALL doing exceptionally well, including the 9 year old Stafford who doesn't "DO" Tassie winters. Shiny coats, fat bellies (to the point of cutting back on rations) and no scratching or mucky eyes which is my usual indicator of a food not doing the trick.

D_mentias said

Barko is 22% protien and Australian owned