What Do You Put In A Kong?

miss shel

Chicken wings cut into three pieces through the joint (I have a large dog :confused: ).

I have also heard of people soaking kibble so it is mushy and putting it in the kong and freezing it. Cheese spread, peanut butter, vegemite. You can also mix up a weak (not too salty) chicken broth and freeze that - plug the ends first with peanut butter.

IF you type Kong recipes into google you will find some amazing variations. One was macaroni cheese. mix precooked pasta and some cream cheese together, put it in Kong. Microvave for 30 seconds. Let cool thoroughly then give to pooch!

Yogurt put in the kong and frozen is a good one on a hot day.

I put some dried apple and peanut butter in Milo's today. He seemed to enjoy that.

Have fun

Lexie & Milo

Mine love the basics: vegemite or peanut butter smeared inside. Not so good with white faces though! Pehaps some cheese and dog bickies mixed together and microwaved then cooled.

Lots of great ideas on the web including the Kong site.

Just remember to cut their main meals down by the same amount you put in the kong.

Thanks for the ideas. I just bought one for our puppy who's arriving on Saturday, but then I was looking at it and not quite sure how to do it, or what to put in it. I've got one of the one's that are shaped like a snowman, do you fill the whole hole with mushy stuff? or just smear the insides? I'm sorry I'm so clueless I was hoping it might have instructions... :confused::eek:

Thanks for all your tips, I have done a search on google for recipes and I found heaps.

I was a little concerned about some of the things suggested in the recipes i found as I want to ensure a healthy diet for my pup. Like cheese, peanut butter, yoghurt, as they ok to give your pup everyday?

Till now he has only had eukabana and beef liver treats.

Edited by miss shel

Try stuffing it with some mince, either chicken or beef, from the butcher. My boy also loves me smearing the ends with peanut butter and then filling it with roo meat (sounds yuk but he loves it!). Try filling it with some apple, carrot or even some cooked rice mixed with bikkies. They will pretty much eat anything you put in there, all the fun is getting it out! Your pup will be fine licking some peanut butter or vegemite, but if its diet has been quite restricted so far, I'd probably only use very small amounts and see how his tummy reacts. Likewise with the dairy products, my boy must be lactose intolerant or something, even the slightest bit of yoghurt ot cheese hits him with the runs. All in moderation until you work out what your pup likes and can handle.

This may sound like a stupid question, in relation to mince and chicken do you give it to them raw or cooked?

Definitely raw for all meats. I mix raw chicken mince with cooked mashed vegies for extra nutrition, and stuff that in the Kong. You can freeze it in there as well, which means it will take your dog longer to eat (and keep them out of trouble for longer!). It's a good boredom buster for work days.

Edited by VintageDiva

We've bought the Kong paste for puppies that comes in an aerosol can, it smells like vegemite and they go absolutely NUTS over it.

We've also started putting it on any tablets the might need to take (one of our girls is on antibiotics atm) and it helps them eat/swallow the tablet.

I might try finding some receipes, they haven't really been interested in the kongs until lately, so I might try filling them with interesting stuff.

Erin, your beagles are very cute.

I have been using kibble with baby food (apple & pear). Today I tried sardines (they are so smelly but he loves them).

I think I need a few of these they seem to be empty in about 10 mins.

Shel

Edited by miss shel

• 2 weeks later...