Private Instructors

ROFL PAX :laugh: ,

Got to line a job up there first.

But its seriously tempting me at the moment. I want to go back on another holiday but I don't think I'll be able to force myself into coming home again.

Edited by ness

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Private training partners are great Jules. I don't actually have one myself, but like the 'training partners' we are trying to organise - I find the 1:1 very useful!

I also love CDODC's trial ring - you get 1:1 feedback and constant support at trials :laugh::)

I'm certainly looking forward to getting out of basic so I can get over to the trial ring Leopuppy. My currrent class is totally feral! All dogs that have failed basic a couple of times.

And of course our training partners thing will be great!

im upset nes i thought you were coing to visit me fine connor and gemma will be dissapointed though.

Its like anything one on one will aways be ebtter than a group and if you can afford it i say do it because you'll get through quicker avoid teaching bad habits and develop your handling much faster

LOL wheres my rock we will come visit you too :laugh: - I would have been coming to Melbourne in May because my parents are driving over and offered to take Ness and I but its on the same time as Nationals :o . Both the Obedience and Agility Nationals are in Melbourne next year so we might make plans to come visit.

Gemma must be all grown up now - I demand new photos :) .

I didn't say there weren't brilliant trainers in Melbourne - just not in SA LOL. Yes one on one is certainly the way to go.

Edited by ness

LOL wheres my rock we will come visit you too :laugh: - I would have been coming to Melbourne in May because my parents are driving over and offered to take Ness and I but its on the same time as Nationals :cry: . Both the Obedience and Agility Nationals are in Melbourne next year so we might make plans to come visit.

;) :love: COOL! I finally get to meet you! Well if you and Ness need a place to stay......

Of course there are great trainers in Melbourne..... um HELLO - I live there :):o:birthday::cheer:

oops - hang on read that wrong.... did someone say good trainers? Nope that rules me out :party::):) :p

ROFL Leopuppy - you guys go have some really good trainers over there to. I guess maybe its not that we don't have good or great trainers more to the point that they aren't very willing to share and want to keep all there secrets to themselves.

The crowd I know over in WA however (even before I met them and just through there responses to questions posted on lists) were more than willing to both provide a suggestion and happy to receive feedback on whether there suggestion worked and suggest modifications which you may try.

I guess the real difference is there willingness to share any information they may have and don't in any way feel intimidated by the thought that somebody may take there information and manage to train something better then they have. Might just be because I am an outsider but I didn't get that impression from hanging around the rings over there and think they treat everybody the same way.

There have been others from other states who likewise have been happy to help and assist with information.

Edited by ness

i think some people fear competition and arent keen to share ideas for that reason also there culd be great trainers around who no longer are active so then they are hard to track down if they arent attending dog stuff on a regular basis i know few trainers that are amazing but arent active anymore

Im always open to offering ideas and advice wehn im around but it can get time consuming and often you feel like your won dogs suffer because your so busy with everyone elses and i know for me i tend to get so absorbed in helping everyone else i lose track of time so this may be the case for others too

Also there is the bang your head factor after tbeing asked for help many times byt epople who really just want a quick fix or you to do the work you tend to get a bit skeptical about how serious some epople are and i know at club nowadays i refuse to help out for that reason im pretty selective as to who i will help because if im heping soemone they get 120%of my attention im diogn it for free so i want to knwo they are willing to put in the hard yards

People like you ness are a godsend to trainers someone who listens takes things on board can think for themselves and is willing to put the hours in if only all dog trainers were like that

I'm always willing to offer what little advice I can because that is how I started - gaining tips and advice from others! If they beat me - I don't care -i'll be immensely proud of them and maybe think to myself - wow my advice did help :laugh:

Forgot to add thens theres the yeah butt crowd even after youve shown them what to do and its worked they have a thousand excuses why it wont work.

And the ones that you spend hours working with months even only to have them then set up for themselves peddling your ideas as theirds with no recognition to who helpd them get started

Yes my instructor here that I catch up with occasionally now (she was instructing at a club I became a member of last year but I won't go into the details here) - not enough though as I loved being picked to shreds - mostly its my handling that needs the work now, is like that. She is a former ANKC judge but after a long long time in the trialling game and the atmosphere of the trialling scene over here she has decided to not trial her current dogs and just enjoy them as pets without the undue pressure of trialling.

As for people like me being a godsend to trainers - hmm Gina and Sandi are too polite to say otherwise but I am sure sometimes I do harass them to much. But sure I put in the hard yards with the information they give me. I guess I am just lacking confidence to sort of go ahead without the assistance as I have never trained a UD dog before and I am trying to avoid making all the mistakes I have made with my training to date. Muddling only gets you so far (CDX title :laugh: ), not sure I could get through a UD title without the help I have had to date.

Edited by ness

i agree leo i love seeing epople that ive helped get success wehn we had our trial group i would spend more time worrying about everyone elses performance hoping all went well i was never concerned with how well i did i can have 199 but im more excited about soemone else ive helpd gaining that elusive pass

Your doing great ness and i love that you always remember the people who have helped you along the way you will get ud and OC i have no doubt and im sure gina and sandy love helping you they would get a kick out of seeing you succeed each little step of the way i wuld prefer to be harrassed by someone 24/7 that was doign the work then seeing someone once a week gettign paid for it but knowing they didnt practise

Oh yes the yeah but...... crowd - who I use to belong to. Gave up making excuses when I went to make an excuse for Ness not working over in WA and then less than 5 minutes later Gina had her heeling like a pro. Same enviornment. Same everything - apart from maybe the same belief in Ness that she could do it.

Don't think I have made to many excuses since I have returned - if we have an off training night half the time its because I haven't completed my end of the bargain. I got a first hand look at what happens when I don't plan my sessions last night. Ness was a ratbag.

Edited by ness

I sure do have a private instructor! I don't have lessons every week or anything, just when he comes to Melbourne every month or so but every time I have a lesson I go away and we improve out of sight. I work as an obedience instructor and do take private lessons myself but imho everyone who is seriously into their dogsport needs the help of an instructor, even if it's only now and again. It's true that most classes, there's just too many people in them - though one to six would be great!