Puppy Driving Me Insane Help!

un1qua

Our 4 month old bc pup continues to wet in the house. She seems to have no idea at all and its driving me nuts. I have never had a pup so difficult to house train. She has just peed on the bean bag for crikeys sake!!! Has anyone got any ideas? She's great in every other way but just doesn't seem to even gel that it's just not the go. If we accidently leave a bedroom door open even if shes been out for hours she'll just go right on in and poo! Help pleeeeaaase!

Yep she is crate trained, has to be when she's like this! That's what is making it so weird. I have done everything by the book with her. I have 4 other dogs and many many more before her I just can't work this one out!! I took her out ten minutes before she went in the bean bag and she went on command no prob. I just don't get it

No, not yet. That's what I was thinking about. It just doesn't seem right and was wondering if anyone else had experienced this problem or if I should be thinking about a physical issue

I have experienced this problem but it was alot more serious than an infection and we had to make the decision to PTS our 5 month old airedale baby, not likely your girl would have the same problem.

I have also had one of my girls get a bladder infection but we only knew because she was weeing in her sleep , blood and urine tests showed up nothing so we had xrays done and they found it that way.

Could it be an attention seeking thing? Do you have a routine for her? My mum's rescue Dally could not be house trained in her first home (it was a shocking home - not saying yours is, just maybe your puppy feels left out or something?). After my mum rescued her, she was house trained in 2 days.

It may just take a bit more time? Some dogs pick it up much faster than others - I would know. My golden came with the idea of toileting outside firmly implanted in her head by 9 weeks - we rarely had problems. My toller seemed to take FOREVER to train - he was probably about 4.5ish months before he was reliably not toileting inside. Before that he'd wee outside, and then five minutes later would wee inside too. I can't tell you how much paper towel we went through. :laugh: Then one day I think it just clicked? Others have said their pup was 7 months before it was fully toilet trained.

Thanks Sne

I think that might be the case, I just have never had one take this long before, was wondering if it was a common thing. It's like shes totally clueless, just like a six week old pup when it comes to toileting "gotta go, here will do"! She even walks in it just like a little pup. Probably just going to have to be more patient, and hope that there is nothing physically wrong.

A vet check couldnt hurt, but I think patience is the key. It is hard, no matter how hard you try to be patient it does get waring after a while. Dont be too hard on yourself, Im sure you are doing the right thing as you have done it many times before.

Like sne said, one day it will just click... :laugh:

Thanks Sne

I think that might be the case, I just have never had one take this long before, was wondering if it was a common thing. It's like shes totally clueless, just like a six week old pup when it comes to toileting "gotta go, here will do"! She even walks in it just like a little pup. Probably just going to have to be more patient, and hope that there is nothing physically wrong.

Hey there,

Take heart. Our BC boy has been driving us insane with exactly the same thing. He's just reached 4.5 months and it finally seems to have clicked in the last week or so. He hasn't weed on the deck/outside bedding or any of his other 'favourite' places for about a week. Until that he would pee on their beds on the deck (they sleep in crates, but have big pillows on our tiled deck which is where they spend most of their time when we are at home), on some other matting on the deck or on the day beds out the back.

Funny thing is we haven't been doing anything different, but have been able to increase the amount of time he spends inside with us with no accidents. (If they are inside they have to stay inside and the same for outside as we have indoors cats - what a PITA!)

Cheers.

Tony R

I am sure he will get the drift soon,you sound like you are trying all and everything,just hang in there our little Kelpie is totally reliable and he is only 13 weeks but i have had some pups over the years that took that much longer but all ended up house trained ,good luck.

We thought the same about our little girl but a vet check showd a mild urinary tract infection. Two weeks on antibiotics fixed the problem. Poor little girl couldn't help it. I feel bad for getting angry when she had an infection that I didn't know about. Sugggest you see a vet and take a urine sample (in a totally clean container - as it can affect the result).

Good luck.

I'd reccomend reading through some of the previous topics on this thread in regards to your issue because there have been some recent ones :laugh:

Your problem could be any number of things.

1) Your puppy is only 4 months old...have some patience

2) Your puppy should see a Vet to rule any problems out

3) You have been slack or haven't toilet trained correctly.

Can't offer any advice as our two still aren't reliable but whoever it was who mentioned paper towel! My goodness we should take stocks out in a paper towel company and spray and wipe.

Welcome to my world!!!!

I feel for the OP, my new pup (now almost 18 weeks) has only just got it and he was a fountain. :D Just keep at it. And follow the earlier advice posted above.

Using a crate is the way to go. I had never used a crate previously with other dogs, now I am waxing lyrical about them to everyone who cares to listen. A dog owners second best friend.

Cheers and good luck

Roo

Our 4 month old bc pup continues to wet in the house. She seems to have no idea at all and its driving me nuts. I have never had a pup so difficult to house train. She has just peed on the bean bag for crikeys sake!!! Has anyone got any ideas? She's great in every other way but just doesn't seem to even gel that it's just not the go. If we accidently leave a bedroom door open even if shes been out for hours she'll just go right on in and poo! Help pleeeeaaase!

Hi, from my personal experience it can be a behavioural thing. When she pees don't get upset with her, simply remove her from the area and take her outside and instruct her to toilet on the lawn (or wherever). Getting angry with them can encourage them to keep doing it as it can be out of attention so don't make a fuss, just ignore the fact she has peed, pick her up and take her outside and say "this is where you potty". Our Sibe peed on the carpet 6 times in one afternoon because we were giving the cat attention or eating dinner which we didn't share so we we just continued to ignore and put her outside, it stopped pretty much straight away (well after the 6th time)!

Our new pup is much better than our first dog. I follow the no punishment for indoor mistakes, praise like mad when performs outdoors. He now looks at me as he starts to wee, waiting for a "good boy" :laugh: .

Can sympathise with your frustration. The local GP's office or pathology place is a source of sterile containers for urine testing (don't say it's for the dog) in case you go to the vet.

They're all so different. 4 months is still pretty young though but it wouldn't hurt getting her checked out.

It's funny how it all comes together... have an 8.5 week old pup here who whines at the door to do a poo, but will wee anywhere, so she half gets it! LOL. I expect it to take a while yet!