Need Some Advice From All You Sexy Dols. ?

frank

does anyone know of any harmless dog repellent i can spray on things to stop my 4mnth old cocker chewing things . so far 3 pair of thongs, the box trailer light cable , twice . and the big one . the $600 outdoor air hockey table power leads . ( ruined ) hope i can fix it !!!

plus 4 palm trees and many japanese brush boxes .

Frank, try this for starters.Get a Cottonball and coat it in Vicks Vapor Rub.Take it to your and let him or her get a dose or hit of the Vicks.This will be unpleasant for the Pup of course.Then smear a bit of Vicks on things you do not want chewed. Tony

Frank, try this for starters.Get a Cottonball and coat it in Vicks Vapor Rub.Take it to your and let him or her get a dose or hit of the Vicks.This will be unpleasant for the Pup of course.Then smear a bit of Vicks on things you do not want chewed. Tony

excellent . thanks Tony . just what i wanted to hear . cheers

There are some sprays etc which you can buy from the pet store specifically for this purpose - I think some are citronella based.

My dogs love that citronella spray - they chew and dig whatever i spray it on - hence it's in the bin now.

does anyone know of any harmless dog repellent i can spray on things to stop my 4mnth old cocker chewing things . so far 3 pair of thongs, the box trailer light cable , twice . and the big one . the $600 outdoor air hockey table power leads . ( ruined ) hope i can fix it !!!

plus 4 palm trees and many japanese brush boxes .

Simple solution....watch your puppy like a hawk, it's dangerous for your puppy as well to be chewing cables as so forth as you know. If you're puppy is doing this when you're out then put your puppy in a pen or run.

You need to watch the puppy so you can catch it in the act and give it a firm no and give it something it's allowed to chew then praise so puppy learns an association.

Correction then praise.

Good luck :)

Edited by sas

That's actually dangerous because if the puppy isn't put off my smell alone and injests something that is not meant to be injested then the puppy can get ill or poisioned.

What if the puppy gets this near its' eye? Have a puppy with a burning sensation in it's eye is not on in my books.

Edited by sas

oh gosh i feel your pain! we where fostering a Curley coat x GSD till we found him a big farmy home.. the little buggar... he dug his way under the house and tate the phone cords right through, Course i didnt know this at the time When i rang the ophone company to come fix the phone cos it asuddenly stopped working.

Well in the time the guy had come to fix the phone, and when i got home... he had chewed it again! so of course i didnt even know what was wrong with the phone till i blasted the phone company for not fixing it.. :rofl:

Cost me two lots of $180 for a telstra call out before we figured out what was happening to the phone line. Course then i took up watching the pup ever spare second with a water pistol.

LOL about Maxiewolf's pup!

I use a water pistol too when I can watch her, but I found that she would sneak off when I was distracted and chew on things she's not meant to. I managed to solve this by using a multipurpose cleaner/disinfectant that I had lying around. It's a Citrus Fresh one so I would assume it has citronella in it. I sprayed that onto whatever she was likely to chew and haven't had a problem since. SHe doesn't like the smell and she bit into a sprayed item once and was put off. The spray was for cleaning my kitchen benchtops, so I doubt it would be toxic and I got it from Aldi, cost less than $2. The sprays I was looking at in the pet stores were ridiculously priced.

The only sensible solution is to be tidy and put anything that you don't want chewed out of your puppy's reach, puppies find all leather items extremely attractive so make sure that you don't leave any leather clothing or shoes lying around. Make sure that you supervise your puppy at all times (you will need to do that anyway if you're toilet training) and crate or otherwise contain your puppy when you can't watch him. You can also pop your puppy outside with a bone, puppies usually find a bone far more attractive than anything else and a soft brisket bone should keep him occupied for quite some time.

I wouldn't use Vicks either.

my pure german shep was a little bit of a chewer, i used to think she was sooo naughty but i think that was just compared to my first dog who was a family dog, our very first male shep chewed a few thongs once and my dad growled at him pretty bad showing him the thong and he hit him across the top of his bum with the chewed up thong and he never touched or chewed another thing again, not once. i dont really think hitting a dog is good and everyone says it doesnt help but when they are a puppy i guess they are similar to toddlers who cant really communicate back with you. smacking may not always work and i have heard if you hit your dog or show aggression towards them they will show aggression back but in our case our dog was not scared of us and was not aggressive and he also never chewed another thing again except for his toys.

now my girl... shes 9 months old now. around the 4, 5, 6 months was probably the worst, and maybe just after she was desexed. shes over chewing things now, now shes dug a big 1m by 1m by prob half a m deep hole in my back yard. sometimes she leaves it alone and we fill it in and she doesnt touch it for a month then all of a sudden shes dug it again. so we're going to fill it and get some new turf and put over it and put a fence around it

we did try putting wire over it and locking it into the ground but then she just dug around the wire... maybe she buried a bone in there?...

anyway i suggest you just get rid of the things you dont want your dog to get into or put a fence up so she cant get into your entertainment type area, dont leave your shoes outside, dont think leaving items on tables will stop your dog either coz my dog got up on our outside table a few times and shes a huge german shep, im surprised the whole thing didnt crash down.....

dogs are sneaky, and they arent stupid

you cant hit your dog or get up it for something if you didnt catch them in the act otherwise they dont know what they are in trouble for

(mind you when i say to lucy "LUUUUUUCY... did you do that?" and point to the hole in thr ground she sure as hell knows what im talking about and cowers and goes and hides

Don't know if this works or is dangerous, but one of the ladies at the dog park said she sprinkled cayeene pepper on the furniture and other valuable things. It has worked and all it does is give them a very peppery taste in their mouth.

Might be worth a go.