Dog Clippers

Hi good luck with the grooming, I have tried quite a few brands and the best two (IMO) are Laube and Andis.

If you have a toy or mini I would go with the Andis as they are a little lighter, cheaper and easier to handle. If you have a standard I would but the Laube they are a bit more expensive but are extreemly powerful and will make the job a lot easier.

I used to use the KM-1 until I tried the above brands.

I have always used the Wahl KM2, so do not know much about the other brands. I have never had a problem and am very comfortable using these clippers on poodles, but as you are new to grooming, you may find the Andis better, as NicoleL said, as they are lighter. When you go to buy, ask if you can actually take them out of the box and feel which ones you are going to be most comfortable with.

I bought some 'Saxon' brand clippers from a Doler Nicestmann77. Haven't seen them advertised recently, but these were a good budget buy for a newbie. I'm not experienced enough to advise a brand, really. Nicestmann77 has good value clipper blades and sharpening; very helpful.

Whatever you decide, checkout prices online as they can vary by about $100- for exactly the same clippers.

• 3 months later...
Laube are more expensive to buy and repair but from what i've been told they have a longer life and so far I have found them to be better quality. I would personally spend the extra.

Hi "poodle wrangler" we advertise on a Australian auction site now (Oztion auctions) thanks for the plug.

Another vote here for the Andis two speed. :happydance2: I love them - nice fit in the hand, don't get too hot and don't need to be opened up for servicing like some other brands.

I've had my pair for about 5 years and they are used to groom about 5 dogs. The only problem I've had (which is very common) is that the cord needed to be replaced on them as it broke away from the motor housing.