Why Do Dogs Roll In Poo?

Hi everyone.

I did a search for this topic and found nothing, so I do hope that it hasn't been done before.

Does anyone know why a puppy (or a dog for that matter) seems to enjoy rolling in poo?

My 5 month old Chi will, if I turn my back for long enough, run off and find the nearest dog poo and roll in it.

I have started picking it up daily (I only have 2 dogs and a large yard so I could probably get away with doing it less often otherwise) but obviously I miss some, because she rolls in old stuff.

Does anyone know why? Is it a territorial thing? When I desex her, will the urge to do this stop or will she quite possibly want to do this for the rest of her life (if given the chance). Would it be anyway health related? (I can't see why though, because she is in great health but I am just trying to keep all possibilities open)

My staffy has never rolled in poo at all so it can't have been learnt of the older dog.

Incidentally, this always seems to happen when I am getting ready to go somewhere with her, obedience or the vets. Because no one wants a dog smelling of poo, she goes and rolls in it for me! Thanks poppet ;)

I normally have to bath her on these occasions, but once I was running so late I had to grab a wet cloth, scrub the poo off and dry her off and then put some leave in Aloveen condition on her so she wouldn't smell. She had to have a bath when she came home though.

Because it's fun!!!!

Seriously, from what I've seen it depends on the dog...my dearly departed ACD loved to roll in sheep poo and duck poo especially...lovely smears of green down her face. She didn't mind a nibble at her own poo either...or another dog's for that matter. She was spayed too.

My Dal has shown no interest in rolling or eating poo at this stage although I do pick it up as fast as he does it so he has never had the opportunity. Chi sounds like a bit of a character - perhaps she just prefers Eau de Dog to Channel No. 5?

Only one of my dogs rolls and she will only roll in herbivore poo - not cat or dog.

One theory is that it's an instinctual behaviour that masks their scent from prey. I think they enjoy the smell too.

Edited by poodlefan

Oh good, SD - I was beginning to worry I was the only one ;) I was starting to think there was some underlying health or behavioural issue there.

Yours sound like mine, one would take great pleasure in it :(, the other not interested!

Yes many people cannot believe that my "sweet little chi" rolls in crap :(

They don't know the real Abby though lol!

Only one of my dogs rolls and she will only roll in herbivore poo - not cat or dog.

One theory is that it's an instinctual behaviour that masks their scent from prey. I think they enjoy the smell too.

Thanks Poodlefan. I can live with that, after all it is a managable problem. Pick up the dog doo, and don't let her out of my sight :( .

I suppose I had never really experienced it before in my dogs, so I was just starting to worry it was something a bit more sinister than just instinctual behaviour. I do tend to worry a bit though ;) :( I like to be informed, better safe than sorry etc etc.

EFS

Edited by Emmala

all our dogs avoid poo. but buster loves rolling in dead things.

not even his "leave it" command will work if their is something dead to be rolled in!

Oh another question :(

Sometimes the poo has a fruity smell to it. Do you think it could be bat/flying fox poo? We have them around.

Lol Busterlove - I do not know which would be worse to be honest ;)

I have always gone with the Concept that its to mask their scent from Prey Animals.You should see some of our Dogs when they come back from up the Paddock totally Green from Cow Manure. Tony

Mine don't roll in poo but I have some experience with poo eaters. A pup from one of my litters who is now 2 years old just loves cat poo. Once her mum didn't clean up the kitty litter quickly enough and she got into the cat do doo. She dragged it out into the lounge room and proceeded to munch it up on the beige leather couch, spreading as she dined. My parents first Westie, Sophie used to "clean up" after herself if she had an accident inside when she was a puppy. My parents were most disgusted. They'd see a little parcel on the tiles, go to get some paper to clean it up and by time they got back she had licked it clean. Sweet little Sophie was then named the dump dog. They were so disgusted in her behaviour. Ah copraphagia. Common enough to have a technical term. Reminded me of the horror movie Salo.

What I don't get is that they all have to have a whiff whether it's fresh laid or weeks old. They even turn around and sniff their own like they're mentally grading it. My boys even have a sniff WHILE the other one is busy doing the business and hasn't hit the ground yet. I'll never understand that.