Soon To Be New Puppy Owner

Falling_dawn

HI every one I’m new Cavalier owner I get her next week at 8 weeks

Just asking the experts

When do you start walking her?

What sort of lead would you recommend?

What sort of bed is best?

And most importantly will she be ok in the house alone for 1-2 hours or should I take her to my parents house if I need to go to the shop.

We have a cat any ideas on the best way to introduce them to each other.

I have seen a picture of a puppy attacked by the family cat It lost an eye I am scared this will happen to my new baby I will not leave them alone together but I would like them to be able to get along.

HI every one I’m new Cavalier owner I get her next week at 8 weeks

Just asking the experts

Welcome to the site! :laugh:

All my opinions below... others will probably give other advice! :flame:

Me, I'm no expert, but see the below...

Put a flat collar on her and the lightest lead you can get as early as possible, and start walking her around the yard... Do a search on vaccinations to decide when you feel comfortable with her being on the ground outside of your property...

A light one, i have a very light material webbing lead for my staffy pup, the lighter the better IMO - I don't believe they should feel the lead unless YOU want them to.

And most importantly will she be ok in the house alone for 1-2 hours or should I take her to my parents house if I need to go to the shop.

We have a cat any ideas on the best way to introduce them to each other.

I have seen a picture of a puppy attacked by the family cat It lost an eye I am scared this will happen to my new baby I will not leave them alone together but I would like them to be able to get along.

Do a search on crate training - this will best answer "what sort of bed" and being alone for 1-2 hours, it also adresses the issue of the cat, as the dog would be seperate when your not there... a crate is also a good toilet training tool, and will help to ensure you get good nights sleeps while she is young.... here is one website with info about this here

You sound like you need to study up quickly before your pup comes to you... you have come to the right site - learn to use the search feature, and don't be shy to ask questions...

Oh, be sure to learn how to post pictures because everyone will want to see some...

HTH

Edited by RedStafford

I introduced my cat to firstly my friend's spoodle who we lived with for 18 months and then to my dane without any dramas at all. The spoodle and the cat were the same size and weight and used to chase each other around the house and roll around together.

I found with Angus that Milo treated him gently when he was little (I got him at 9 weeks) and just reinforced his message with a swipe across the nose when needed.

Milo thinks there is nothing better than Angus' feet hanging over the side of the couch for a good smooch.

post-14529-1178536898_thumb.jpg

IMO - I would be leaving the puppy there alone for the 1-2 hours rather than her going to your parents as otherwise you get a dog which you can never ever leave alone.

Good luck with your puppy!

That's okay Mu Shu - rest assured that Angus is a perfectly healthy weight (currently 40kg) - some danes can go through a ribby stage while their body's all even out. He eats extremely well - 4 cups of Royal Canin Giant in the morning and 4 cups of mince/ rice/ vegetables for dinner plus added extras during the week.

Thank you every one for your help will check out the sight

Already made up the food from the breeders recipy she gave me ( all fresh meat veg. flaxseed oil ect…)its about 2 weeks worth so hopfully she will eat it .

The youngest dog I have had were a couple of 2 yr old ( that was a gess from the vet ) crossbreed rescue dogs they passed away recentlly at around 13 years old so puppys are all new to us :)

Young pups really don't need walking for exercise, but once she's had her 2nd vaccinations, I'd take her for very short walks near home. They love the different smells, sights and sounds. You can get her used to a lead in the yard, before this.

A light one. Any collar you buy will be too small later on, so don't splurge early.

When we brought our mini poodle home at 8 weeks, we used a cardboard box with old small blanket indoors- good insulation, cosy + easy to replace if chewed. Have a look at crates, but I'm not a big fan, myself. Depends on your set up at home and how catastrophic any accidents could be. You can put newspaper or an old blanket in a crate- something that's easy to wash or disposable in case of accidents. Buy a "nice" bed once pup's thru the chewing stage.

Will she be ok in the house alone for 1-2 hours or should I take her to my parents house if I need to go to the shop.

Yes. Should you decide you want a crate, you can be sure pup won't get into trouble. It's good for pup to get used to being alone at times, actually. Make sure you're yard is puppy proof if you plan to leave her outside while you're out.

Most breeders have information sheets or booklets about bringing your puppy home. Can you get one b4 bringing pup home?

Best wishes :)

I introduced my cat to firstly my friend's spoodle who we lived with for 18 months and then to my dane without any dramas at all. The spoodle and the cat were the same size and weight and used to chase each other around the house and roll around together.

I found with Angus that Milo treated him gently when he was little (I got him at 9 weeks) and just reinforced his message with a swipe across the nose when needed.

Milo thinks there is nothing better than Angus' feet hanging over the side of the couch for a good smooch.

post-14529-1178536898_thumb.jpg

IMO - I would be leaving the puppy there alone for the 1-2 hours rather than her going to your parents as otherwise you get a dog which you can never ever leave alone.

Good luck with your puppy!

Totally OT but your cat Milo reminds me of my cat Shandi (similar colouring from that pic) :)

:D :p Awe what a little cutie he is gorgeous i bet you are excited.

Yes very very excited her name is Louise "Lucy"

Does anyone know about fresh vs. dry food?

The breeder told me we must give fresh food only and only get dry food as emergency food they gave me a recipe with lost of diffent things and I have to add calcium .

I had a Vet look at it and they said it was a good recipe but said I should get her on to dry puppy food ASAP so it got all the right nutrients.

Any thoughts anyone

:o

:D :p Awe what a little cutie he is gorgeous i bet you are excited.

Yes very very excited her name is Louise "Lucy"

Does anyone know about fresh vs. dry food?

The breeder told me we must give fresh food only and only get dry food as emergency food they gave me a recipe with lost of diffent things and I have to add calcium .

I had a Vet look at it and they said it was a good recipe but said I should get her on to dry puppy food ASAP so it got all the right nutrients.

Any thoughts anyone

:o

A good quality dry food - like Science Diet which my Benson is on or Nutro, Eagle Pack etc. They are a little $$ but I think if you are going to do the fresh food thing it will probably be more expensive. You can always give your pup a little variety but as the Vet said good quality dry food is like the perfect diet. Cause I like variety in my own diet I actually given Benson a little to so I give him just dry food in the morning and a frozen chicken neck as I'm leaving so he doesn't whinge that I am going, then for dinner he gets 80grams of mince and dry food. Also he gets a small lamb shanks every three to four days but I do cut of the majority of the meat so that he doesn't get overweight, as Golden have a tendency to do ;)

post-16055-1178859313_thumb.jpg

Ha! The vet's seeing you coming! The vet wants you to use dry food that you buy from them. :o

Stick with what the breeder has suggested and add lots of meaty bones of all descriptions, eggs, sardines, tuna etc. Grains and rice are just filler.

Fresh food does not need to be more expensive than dry. Have a read about BARF (bones and raw foods). Can't convince me that the chemicals, grains and meat products that often are not even the first ingredient on the list in dry food is better than fresh, let alone the "perfect diet".

Do your research and choose what YOU think is best for your dog. Many threads here :D

I am no cavy expert but I know some breeders recommend not using dry food becuase cavy's are prone to problem skin, especially later in life, and some think the fresh diet prevents all that happening. :p I'd go with the breeder unless you find your dog is not doing well on it.