Excessive Drinking Older Dog

Hey all , my dogs brother (who lives with my ex) has been drinking alot of water all of a sudden can anyone tell me what this could be caused by aside from diabetes? He seems normal in all other ways and is still eating well , his gums are a good colour. He's almost 11 and is in great condition. Any ideas?

Edited by openarms

Thanks guys. Heart problems would have been the last thing i would have thought of! What sort of heart problems cause excessive drinking?? No weight loss if anything he could stand to loose a little weight. It's werid how he has only justb started drinking alot out of nowhere..

Ditto the above responses regarding blood work and a urinalysis, excessive intake of water is something that should be checked out.

There are some benign causes but no one can say what the cause is over the net - dogs that spend time inside while there is active heating going on may also need to drink more water.

My old poodle x has a faulty heart valve *somewhere* and he drinks excessively. The vet explained to me that the heart pumps the blood out, and with a normal valve, the valve stops the blood from being sucked back at with the next beat. In my dogs case, 100% might be pumped out, but 40% might get sucked back. They usually get a bit of a droopy belly with heart problems as well, but my fellah doesn't. The excessive drinking ( in my case) comes from the body thinking it is dehydrated, due to the lack of blood supply. The body isn't really dehydrated tho, and that is why the excess water causes the droopy belly, and also the cough, as it floods the lungs a little. I hope this is correct ^^ as I am trying to remember what the vet told me.

He has had it for years, and it is steadily getting worse as he ages...but in saying that, he is on no meds for it as the only 'symptoms' he has is excessive drinking, and a slight cough every so often. It is not limiting his activity, but as he is also blind, he also doesn't put stress on himself with playing as a normal dog might...

Good luck with your pooch, openarms, and see a vet soon.

cheers

kym

Yes it certainly could be Cushings. My girl seemed healthy in all other ways other than her excessive drinking and urination... We also had trouble keeping weight off her, or getting her to lose weight and she did have a slight pot belly. She was slightly more lazy than usual, but nothing really noticeable.

Excessive drinking could be a sign of quite a few dangerous illnesses so I would send him off for some tests!

My old boy started drinking heaps after his chemo and it turned out that the chemo had damaged his thyroid gland and it was hardly working. He also put on weight easily because it was not working properly.