Can Eating Possum Make My Dog Sick?

cheree

My 12 month old Siberian Husky Peaches caught a possum the night before last (thursday) and I believe she ate the whole thing, she seems ok but her energy is very low and she is very sleepy. Should I be worried? Is it bad for dogs to eat possum? or should I say is it illegal for dogs to kill them?

phone your vet to be sure, I would think you'd want to worm her and check her over for ticks that might have hitched a ride - less likely at this time of year I believe but worth a check. Maybe keep the food fairly bland and reduced meals for a few days in case of tummy upsets but dog can and do eat some revolting things, often without consequence. Definitely phone a vet to make sure though as there may be transferable diseases or other issues I'm not aware of.

Edited by Kissindra

as for being illegal, i would think only if you get caught.....

as for making dog sick only if it pukes :wave::rofl: was the OH's very helpful reply! shish men! :rofl:

our dog will catch and kill given a chance they seem to love the taste, not mine tho. :(

hehehe thak you for your help

Miss Peaches defintely enjoys both the killing and the eating, all that was left was paches of fur on the grass!! I just hope any other possums lurking in my yard decide to move on!!!

Zero has grabbed a couple of possums in his time - he has never been sick from them. I always worm him and then fast him the next day (or at least reduce his meal) and give him a good grooming too.

Your dog has probably just eaten a whole lot more than it usually would so that could cause the sleepiness but I'd keep an eye out to make sure. Definitely go over her with a comb and make sure she hasn't picked up a tick but other than that, there's not a huge amount you need to do. Any signs of problems, straight off to the vet.

Dogs tend to have cast iron stomaches. Kivi only likes possums that have been festering in the swamp until nice and tender. Never has made him sick. IME if it doesn't agree with them it comes right back up then and there. I remember saying to my last dog on her third try at eating some truly revolting roo offal "If it's making you sick then stop eating it!" She thought I maybe had a point and gave up after bringing it up yet again.

Zero has grabbed a couple of possums in his time - he has never been sick from them. I always worm him and then fast him the next day (or at least reduce his meal) and give him a good grooming too.

Your dog has probably just eaten a whole lot more than it usually would so that could cause the sleepiness but I'd keep an eye out to make sure. Definitely go over her with a comb and make sure she hasn't picked up a tick but other than that, there's not a huge amount you need to do. Any signs of problems, straight off to the vet.

I would keep an eye out also for mites.......I know you cant see them with the naked eye........Our guys caught & killed & ate a possum awhile ago now & a couple of weeks later started scratching quite abit. Noticed a bald red spot on one the sheppies back & while at the vet of one thing, got the vet to have a look at the bald spot. Turned out to be a mite, cant remember the name, gave all four dogs a hydrobath in malawash, solved the mite problem!

They don't carry any infections that can make a dog sick as far as I know, except for external parasites. They can have sarcoptic mange. Surburban possums can also suffer with bacterial dermatitis which is pretty gross, but I don't think transferrable.

It is illegal to kill any wild animal - deliberately. A dog killing one is seen as accidental, like a vehicle strike. My dog has grabbed a couple over the years... The important thing to check is up in trees in your yard in case a young joey has been orphaned. This happened with one my boy caught - but the dogs were standing under the tree and staring up at it so it was easy to find! If there is one contact your local wildlife rehab group.

i like the idea if its no good it comes out straight away...

1st hand puke is your own... which my dog loves...

but

he really likes

2nd hand puke.... which is some one elses puke. :bottom::rofl: even better to eat 2nd hand puke.

She definetly was satisfied and very proud of herself for the whole day licking her chops!!!! hehehehe She seems fine now just very full she isn't even trying to get at any of our food like she usually does! The only problem now is there are more up on the power lines in the yard and she is obsessed, can you get someone to come and take them to a new tree or do we just wait until she gets them all which i am sure will happen cos possums don't seem too smart esoecially when this one ran along the gound!!

Wanted - possum eating dogs.

Full menu available - stocks overflowing.

Lend us you dogs and save on dog food.

I'm sure you would feel a bit lethgargic after a big meal too! :bottom:

Seriously i can bring her over to anyone who would like to erradicate unwanted possums LOL I've never seen her so satisfied!

Unfortunately, you will never get rid of them. As soon as one bites the dust, another takes its place.

The one on the ground may well have missed the mark when it jumped from one spot to another and fallen. They do that.

I remember possums falling through an open manhole in the ceilng one night when I was lying awake listening to them thumping around up there - at boarding school. :D I don't know how come thay left the cover off the manhole.

They then proceeded to run circles around the dormitory before taking off down the passage way. It does get a bit disturbing when one jumps on your bed and wakes you up.

Just think of the profits the pet food industry could make if they were allowed to harvest the possums? :)

Unfortunately, you will never get rid of them. As soon as one bites the dust, another takes its place.

The one on the ground may well have missed the mark when it jumped from one spot to another and fallen. They do that.

I remember possums falling through an open manhole in the ceilng one night when I was lying awake listening to them thumping around up there - at boarding school. :rolleyes: I don't know how come thay left the cover off the manhole.

They then proceeded to run circles around the dormitory before taking off down the passage way. It does get a bit disturbing when one jumps on your bed and wakes you up.

Just think of the profits the pet food industry could make if they were allowed to harvest the possums? :rofl:

Dear oh dear, possums are living beings too :rofl:

Wanted - possum eating dogs.

Full menu available - stocks overflowing.

Lend us you dogs and save on dog food.

I'm sure you would feel a bit lethgargic after a big meal too! :rofl:

Is that supposed to be funny? :rolleyes:

Edited by Moselle