Australian Pure Bred Dog Forums - Dogz Online: Another Prefix Question - Australian Pure Bred Dog Forums - Dogz Online

• 4 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Old topic!
This topic has had no activity for over 365 days. Due to that, you will not be able to reply. Please create a new topic!

Another Prefix Question

#31 User is offline   TessnSean 

• Forum Regular
  • State:VIC

Posted 15 March 2012 - 05:47 PM

View PostPooMother, on 15 March 2012 - 10:35 AM, said:

So in Vic they tell you why it wasn't approved? I've been knocked back on mine and no reason given other than 'ANKC would have their reasons'

Now I know catteries and kennels have nothing in common here, however, the cattery prefix I've had for 16 years has been declined amongst others and I've heard nothing on my appeal that was sent off last year. I combined my dogs names, my name and my dogs names etc I'm at a loss. I don't want to send names willy nilly for fear I'll get something I hate so I really think about the names.

I've also googled, searched FCI and Sways list and none of the ones I submitted show up anywhere.

Beside each of the rejected prefixes it said overseas prefix or too common a word and that is in Victoria. One that was rejected as too common a word was Glyneryk. I can see the reason that. Everybody uses that word ;)

#32 User is offline   PooMother 

• Forum Regular
  • State:NSW

Posted 15 March 2012 - 05:54 PM

Oh I use Glyneryk everyday, totally understandable......not lol.

No I received nothing at all other than declined in the email, didn't even mention the names I had submitted. I live in NSW.

#33 User is offline   Bjelkier 

• Hav-a-Sam

Posted 15 March 2012 - 07:04 PM

View PostPooMother, on 15 March 2012 - 05:54 PM, said:

Oh I use Glyneryk everyday, totally understandable......not lol.

No I received nothing at all other than declined in the email, didn't even mention the names I had submitted. I live in NSW.

It's possible it was too close in sound or look to something else.

Try submitting names in other languages, like where your breed originally comes from or your own family history, this seems to work pretty well for some people.

I got very lucky with mine and got first choice, I picked mine from finnish mythology.

#34 User is offline   PooMother 

• Forum Regular

Posted 15 March 2012 - 08:53 PM

Unfortunately for me dogs are Scottish origin and just about everything is taken. I did a lot of research and have even made names up oh well will see what they say this time. I really don't think they can use looks similar or sounds similar etc when they have approved a lot of similar prefixes.

#35 User is offline   alpha bet 

• Certified Dog Trainer - Training School - Registered Breeder

Posted 15 March 2012 - 09:10 PM

One thing to remember is there is no restrictions as to what breeds come under the prefix.

So dont just search by breeds

#36 User is offline   PooMother 

• Forum Regular

Posted 15 March 2012 - 09:29 PM

No I did both and still googling everything under the sun. It seems to be very inconsistent though decline some but approve others that are very similar

#37 User is offline   Haredown Whippets 

• The DOLer formally known as Poodlefan
  • State:ACT

Posted 15 March 2012 - 09:33 PM

View PostPooMother, on 15 March 2012 - 09:29 PM, said:

No I did both and still googling everything under the sun. It seems to be very inconsistent though decline some but approve others that are very similar

I think it has to be 4 letters different to others. There'd be a bunch of "Glynsomethings" I think.

Scottish eh?

Haggis
Sporan

I submitted my second set of 10 names (I didn't get Telida :cry:) a few weeks ago. Still waiting.....

#38 User is offline   poocow 

• Superdog to the Rescue!

Posted 16 March 2012 - 08:28 AM

View PostTelida Whippets, on 15 March 2012 - 09:33 PM, said:

View PostPooMother, on 15 March 2012 - 09:29 PM, said:

I think it has to be 4 letters different to others. There'd be a bunch of "Glynsomethings" I think.

Scottish eh?

Haggis
Sporan

I submitted my second set of 10 names (I didn't get Telida :cry:) a few weeks ago. Still waiting.....

It has to differ by 2 letters, good luck to everyone with their choices - I managed to get my 10th choice.

#39 User is offline   Edpra 

• Forum Regular

Posted 16 March 2012 - 09:41 AM

I got my first choice when it arrived in the mail last week- Im rapt- 96% pass on the open book exam and Ive been using Edpra on DOL for the entire time so had my fingers crossed- and its the first 2 letters of my first dog and the first 3 letters of my foundation bitch :)

#40 User is offline   huga 

• She's got the WHA-BAM!
  • State:QLD

Posted 16 March 2012 - 07:46 PM

It has to differ by three letters.

It can't sound the same as an existing prefix.

It can't be the same as an overseas prefix.

Prefixes have to be unfinancial for 10 years before they can be re-issued to someone else (or someone who wants something similar), and even then it can't be the same breed.

Each prefix submitted is looked at individually, and if you have any questions, I would be contacting someone in the office of your state body.

#41 User is offline   PooMother 

• Forum Regular

Posted 18 March 2012 - 06:55 PM

Have contacted them and the reply was 'they would have a good reason to decline' they being National Register.

#42 User is offline   Dlanigervon 

• Forum Member

Posted 19 March 2012 - 03:29 PM

I sent in several and they were declined, I then decided that I would look at a name, reverse it and if it made another word then I would use that. In the end I finished up with "Dlaniger" which, when read backwards reads "Reginald" thus my Christian name, perhaps that might help solve the problem.

#43 User is offline   Sempre (Haylee) 

• Forum Member
  • State:QLD

Posted 19 March 2012 - 08:39 PM

It would be great if there was a way to just check over the phone instead of having to put in so many choices, With my cattery prefix I think we only choose 4, I did call and although not happy they did check there and then to see if it was registered which it wasnt so I sent it in with just the one
I understand that they do a lot more checking it seems with kennel names but it would still be great to just be able to know if something is taken in Aust even as a starting point

#44 User is offline   PooMother 

• Forum Regular

Posted 20 March 2012 - 06:47 PM

I was told I couldn't have 3 of my choices as they were 'similar' because there are 2 kennels in aust that also end in the same last 4 letters........what about all the ones starting with beau and border etc?

#45 User is offline   pebbles 

• Former Exhibitor/Former Breeder - Former Everything!

Posted 20 March 2012 - 10:09 PM

Not sure how they work things out - last year I got an account for renewing a prefix which hasn't been paid for/used for over 20 years :confused:

Share this topic:

Old topic!
This topic has had no activity for over 365 days. Due to that, you will not be able to reply. Please create a new topic!

• 4 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Privacy Policy | Web Site Terms and Conditions