Back Seat Buddy

Sail_Away

Hi everyone

I first bought a $15 car hammock from the Reject shop but it doesn't fit my car all that well and the material bunches up and sags in places so my seats still get sand/dirt on them from my dog - The straps are also starting to fray so I guess that's all I can expect for what I paid for it… I then bought a $50 one online and even though it was their smallest size it was WAY too big for my Honda Jazz. So anyway I have been reading posts about the back seat buddy and I really thought it was too expensive but it has such rave reviews that I'm willing to give it a go… the Petsavenue website recommend a small for my car but I wondered whether I should go up a size to medium as I've read some people have been able to do this between cars? Possibly get a larger car in the next couple of years so would hate to need another back seat buddy..

I used to have one before getting a ute.

I had the large as at the time I had a falcon. I would probably go with that as they are more versatile. They used to also unzip in the middle so you can use half if you wish. The top also unzips from the bottom so it makes it easier to wash and the fabric is that much stronger and thicker.

I used to have one before getting a ute.

I had the large as at the time I had a falcon. I would probably go with that as they are more versatile. They used to also unzip in the middle so you can use half if you wish. The top also unzips from the bottom so it makes it easier to wash and the fabric is that much stronger and thicker.

I'm assuming there isn't a huge difference in size between the three then? Even though the website says I should get a small I just figure that doesn't give me much leeway if I ever get a bigger car… so was thinking medium but def don't want to buy it if it's way too big for my car… smile.gif

Judging by the photo of your dog, which I think is a RR (?), I would get a large sized one. I don't know what size ours is, but you can unzip it and use it as one piece if need be; we just unzip it to plug the dog seat belts int. Ours takes up the entire back seat and is in mint condition even after 6 years. Money well spent.

Edited by poochmad

Falcon's are considered to be a large-ish vehicle.

I just went to their website and they said X-Large for a Falcon. I now have a Toyota Duel Cab and it recommends a medium. It's a pity there are no actual dimensions of the sizing on their website. That way you could at least measure and decide if a medium or large would be too big and if so by how much.

If it is too wide, then this can be a good thing as well, as it will also fold up the doors a bit - protecting them from scratches.

It would also depend on how big a car you would be looking at upgrading to and how long down the track.

I notice there is also only $20 difference between the small and medium and $40 to a large and over $300 not a big difference. I would look at least a medium then or see if you can find physical dimensions of each size.

ETA: I would not get the fleece one..... Get the canvas one - if your dog is wet, they wear much better than fleece and are easy to care for. If you want plush - you can throw an old sheepskin car seat cover over it or other blankets.

Edited by Mystiqview

Thanks guys - my dog is a Hungarian Vizsla - so only medium sized but she is great in the car, just sits or sleeps the whole time. I am constantly at the beach though and the cheap hammock I have in my car bunches up and sand goes everywhere! Just after something stronger and one that holds it's 'shape' - I'm assuming this is what the BSB is like? I have a Honda Jazz which is a small hatch - so need to fit the hammock to the car as best I can - it is a shame about the measurements but I probably wouldn't know how to measure it right anyway! laugh.gif I just don't want to buy medium and then find its WAY too big for my car and sags into the footwell which makes it pointless (this just happened with the last hammock I bought) - So the back seat buddy holds it's shape??

I had the red canvas one. The back is a polypropelene type material and is quite stiff. The canvas part is using a stiff canvas and it is also padded and quilted. I had Dobermanns at the time and I think I only just was getting into borders. I got mine when they first came out. The layers of fabric and the quality of fabric they used kept its shape pretty well.

There is 10cm difference in width between small and medium (5cm per side) and 10cm per side for the large. I think from memory and those who have them now, can probably confirm this, the one I had when I had the falcon only just made it to each end of the vehicle. Also, I think if you are visiting the beach regularly, you would want it to fold up around the edges a bit as well to stop the sand from falling down to the side of the seats.

I did not find with claws it did pick at the quilting a little, but I had mine many years before selling it.

The rear fits to the baby seat attachment and the front goes over the and "hangs" off the headrest. I never had a problem with it sagging. I never had the cheap ones, so could not comment with those.

Found this link which has measurements:

Kumalong Online Store

Size Dimensions Price

Small 120x140cm $245.00

Medium 130x140cm $265.00

Large 140x140cm $285.00

X-Large 150x140cm $305.00

Jumbo 150x150cm $330.00

Hmm… So I had measured the height from the base of my back seat to the head rests = 60 cm, then the length from the backseat to the back of the front seat = 75cm and the width from door to door = 130cm… but this must not be the right way to do it going by the measurements above confused.gif haha

Also you recommend the canvas one over the fleece? Unless I put a towel down over the fleece when I'm at the beach - my dog slips around on the canvas types though...

You want to measure from the top of your headrest down to about level with the back seat, over to the back of back seat then up again to the top of the back seat. That is your length. It would depend also how far you would like the back seat buddy to come up behind your front seats... I used to have mine as a real hammock and using the seat as main support. The only gap was that between the back seat and where I positioned the front seats over the footwell. Rather than keeping the back seat buddy from hanging off the back seat itself.

If the width from door to door is 130 cm then I would say at least go with medium as from that link I posted, the width of the medium is 130cm. That will stop sand from sliding of the edges and down between the seat and the door where it is near impossible to vacuum back up.

The canvas material is much firmer/stiffer and also provides a semi water resistant surface. Hence why I would recommend it over the fleece version if your dog visits the beach regularly. Remember you also have to be able to clean the fleece and fleece does not like to be washed and has to be steam cleaned, whereas the canvas is much more wash and wear and more likely more durable. You would also be able to shake the sand out much more easily than what you can from fleece.

If you need to put a towel down or as I said I used to put down old sheepskin car seat covers for plushness. These also can be pulled out if a dog vomits or washed and shaken as needed be. The back seat buddy kept my seats clean and caught any dirt/sand etc from getting into the upholstery of the car.

Found this link which has measurements:

Kumalong Online Store

Size Dimensions Price

Small 120x140cm $245.00

Medium 130x140cm $265.00

Large 140x140cm $285.00

X-Large 150x140cm $305.00

Jumbo 150x150cm $330.00

Hmm… So I had measured the height from the base of my back seat to the head rests = 60 cm, then the length from the backseat to the back of the front seat = 75cm and the width from door to door = 130cm… but this must not be the right way to do it going by the measurements above confused.gif haha

Also you recommend the canvas one over the fleece? Unless I put a towel down over the fleece when I'm at the beach - my dog slips around on the canvas types though...

Would the 140cm be the length here? and the 120/130 etc be width???

I just called Petsavenue and spoke to a lovely gentleman who said the medium would fit my car also but would come up the sides slightly but some people like that as it catches dirt/protects sides etc… I prefer the hammocks to just act as a barrier for the dog falling into the footwell so def don't want it sagging there so length is important - if the length is the 140cm on the sm/med/large than I may as well go large as the width of my car is 130cm so an extra 5cm either side might be a good thing…?

He also said the fleece is not natural only fake so that it doesn't stay damp if wet and drys overnight… I'll have a think about that one… But def either the med/large I think now.smile.gif

I just called Petsavenue and spoke to a lovely gentleman who said the medium would fit my car also but would come up the sides slightly but some people like that as it catches dirt/protects sides etc… I prefer the hammocks to just act as a barrier for the dog falling into the footwell so def don't want it sagging there so length is important - if the length is the 140cm on the sm/med/large than I may as well go large as the width of my car is 130cm so an extra 5cm either side might be a good thing…?

He also said the fleece is not natural only fake so that it doesn't stay damp if wet and drys overnight… I'll have a think about that one… But def either the med/large I think now.smile.gif

I read the measurements to be 120 to be the width (across the car) and the 140/150 to be the length (from top of back seat to the top behind driver).

The attachment straps where you attach to the child restraint points and over the headrest are adjustable and there are two D rings at either end of the mat so you can take as much slack up as you need to. I preferred to have the back seat buddy come as far as behind the driver as possible to stop drips, drools and also to prevent them from thinking they can come between the two front seats and sit on my lap. (They were restrained of course, but when you have a dobermann, he can still get his head between the two front seats and wash your ears for you. My male BC can do the same while still being restrained in the back).

Having a larger dog with no feather "protection" around the claws, I would be going for what is most durable and less likely to rip and wear due to claws. The fleece may be more comfortable and stop them from sliding on the canvas, however it is not as strong and tough as canvass and may wear more quickly. That was where I used to still throw a towel or some blanket over the top for comfort, and rely on the back seat buddy to catch the sand and dirt and also protect the seats if the dog decided to vomit (which can happen from time to time). I also found the canvass much easier to wipe off if there was a small accident in the back. You still had to clean it properly when you got home, but if out, it only needed a wipe over to get by until it could be cleaned properly.

From memory, the correct sizing does not reach all the way to the edge of the seats. It leaves a small gap to what I could call the wings of the backrest of the seat. I preferred mine to wrap up a little at the sides, so if there is any mess (dirt or other) was contained within.

SA I have a natural fleece one for mine and it wears fine. I have two Border Collies and walks usually involve them getting wet and a lot of the time at the beach. I have had it for nearly 4 years now and its perfect condition. I unzip the fleece bit from the backing and chuck that through the wash every so often.

I do have a cheap polar fleece blanket (just a cheap as chips one which i think I paid like $8 for) which I place over the seat part and I wash that a little more frequently then I do the actual back seat buddy but otherwise I would definitely recommend them.

SA I have a natural fleece one for mine and it wears fine. I have two Border Collies and walks usually involve them getting wet and a lot of the time at the beach. I have had it for nearly 4 years now and its perfect condition. I unzip the fleece bit from the backing and chuck that through the wash every so often.

I do have a cheap polar fleece blanket (just a cheap as chips one which i think I paid like $8 for) which I place over the seat part and I wash that a little more frequently then I do the actual back seat buddy but otherwise I would definitely recommend them.

Ness has said it all. smile.gif i have a medium fleece one bought for the previous car and its still perfect. I think the medium should be plenty big enough for a Jazz. smile.gif - wont the large be much too big??

1360553084[/url]' post='6119464']

What brand is that, my girl (the picky princess she is) only likes beds or mats that are fleecy or she protests. A fleecy one would be good for me to get for her.

I read the measurements to be 120 to be the width (across the car) and the 140/150 to be the length (from top of back seat to the top behind driver).

The attachment straps where you attach to the child restraint points and over the headrest are adjustable and there are two D rings at either end of the mat so you can take as much slack up as you need to. I preferred to have the back seat buddy come as far as behind the driver as possible to stop drips, drools and also to prevent them from thinking they can come between the two front seats and sit on my lap. (They were restrained of course, but when you have a dobermann, he can still get his head between the two front seats and wash your ears for you. My male BC can do the same while still being restrained in the back).

Having a larger dog with no feather "protection" around the claws, I would be going for what is most durable and less likely to rip and wear due to claws. The fleece may be more comfortable and stop them from sliding on the canvas, however it is not as strong and tough as canvass and may wear more quickly. That was where I used to still throw a towel or some blanket over the top for comfort, and rely on the back seat buddy to catch the sand and dirt and also protect the seats if the dog decided to vomit (which can happen from time to time). I also found the canvass much easier to wipe off if there was a small accident in the back. You still had to clean it properly when you got home, but if out, it only needed a wipe over to get by until it could be cleaned properly.

From memory, the correct sizing does not reach all the way to the edge of the seats. It leaves a small gap to what I could call the wings of the backrest of the seat. I preferred mine to wrap up a little at the sides, so if there is any mess (dirt or other) was contained within.

Such a fantastic detailed description! Thank you very much, that has made me picture how it will fit. It's a shame that it doesn't have slots for the seatbelt points as I normally use that too fasten my dog in with a harness but I could use the child car seat anchor points behind the head rests if I can find a tether long enough to attach… Or can a harness be attached to the D rings on the BSB?

Ness has said it all. smile.gif i have a medium fleece one bought for the previous car and its still perfect. I think the medium should be plenty big enough for a Jazz. smile.gif - wont the large be much too big??

Yeah your right, I think I would be risking it with a large, it would probably just be too wide… I think I'll go the medium smile.gif I can't believe I'm gonna spend this sort of money on a hammock but they seem to be the best! laugh.gif

I had a medium in my Pulsar and it fits in an X-trail just fine. :)

I have a large in my X-trail at the moment but I consider it to be too big. I have the fleece as scratchy dogs nails drive me bananas.

It does seem like an exorbitant amount but it is just a really well made product that lasts for years and it doesn't seem there is any equivalent in terms of quality and materials.

Edited by Staff'n'Toller