Puppy Behaviour After Anaesthetic

vickimills57

My 8.5 month old lagotto - Milo - was desexed yesterday morning. I collected him from the Vet at 12:30. He slept most of the afternoon, was not interested in food or water nor in our other dog. He was a little wobbly when he walked. All of these behaviours were to be expected. Today he has been a lot more wakeful but very restless, unable to stay still for much more than 5 minutes. He is up and down off the couch, in to the kitchen, moving from room to room in short sharp bursts. He usually follows me around the house but he has been very slow on the uptake with this as well. The best way to describe his behaviour is restless. I will continue to monitor him and will call the Vet tomorrow if he hasn't settled a little more.

Just interested to know if others have experienced similar behaviour from their puppies/dogs after anaesthetic.

That reads like my dog when she doesn't get her walks like she wants. Or if I skip a day - stir crazy dog.

He could also be in pain. Was there follow up post op pain killer for him?

You could try some sedentary trick training to wear his brain out a bit and encourage him to sleep but if his (missing) bits are irritating him that might not help.

How long before you can take him for short on lead walks?

Good to monitor him ... check whether he seems to have a temp, and make sure he's drinking ... and check with your vet if in doubt or if you conclude he is in pain. But having said that, I had one boy who didn't cope well with his desexing .. lay on the couch with his hand over his forehead sort of thing for a few days. Their response can be quite an individual thing.

Thanks everyone for your responses. Been monitoring Milo closely. He is settling back into more normal behavior. I think he feels violated, the poor little fella :( Vet has given him some anti-inflams.

Thanks again for your concern.

I think he feels violated, the poor little fella :(

I'm not surprised though that is projecting human feelings onto the poor dog. Important bits are sore for sure. (no wonder blokes cross their legs and are reluctant to take their dog to be desexed).

Hopefully the meds will help some.

Thank you for the update.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...