Sleep Deprived!

jars

Hi All,

We have had our 13 week old Standard Schnauzer, Pepper now for over 4 weeks. For the first week and a bit she had the usual transition stage and woke up a few times a night. She then settled in and will sleep from around 9pm till about 5.30. However, in the last few days she seems to have gone back to waking several times a night. Like last night for example, she went to bed at 9, woke up at 11 and then again at midnight and then at 5am. All times I just took her to toilet and then straight back to her crate with a blanket over it.

Any ideas on why this could be going on? How long does it take before a puppy can realistically sleep through the night?

She wees and sometimes poos as well and then settles down. It has not been really hot here in Melbourne until yesterday and she was dirnking more as a result.

But I was wondering if it could be food related as well. She does not like the Meals for Mutts and hardly eats it, so she may have been waking up in hunger. She eats a little with the mince, but she tries to finsih off the mince and leaves the rest. She had some Science diet that the vet provided and she loves that but I do not like it. I just got some Blackhawk for her yesterday and mixed it with the Science diet. She seems to like it too. Finishes it off without any mince. But between 8pm and 6 am this morning, she pooed 4 times. Could this be just as a result of her eating more or adjustment to the new food?

This is really not good for us as my wife has hypertension and really needs sleep in order to keep her blood pressure under control. We have the last puppy pre school today so will ask the vet about it then.

Ok - in my opinion , that much poo means she is perhaps getting too much grain etc in her food ...or too much food ;)

Maybe try her on her puppy kibble for the morning meal, a small amount of mince for lunch , and a couple of chicken wings -WHOLE AND RAW for her evening meal (your tea time) Theoretically that should make for much less moving thru the belly overnight ;)

And yes.. eating chicken wings like this will take her a little while , and is best done outside ;)

She wees and sometimes poos as well and then settles down. It has not been really hot here in Melbourne until yesterday and she was dirnking more as a result.

But I was wondering if it could be food related as well. She does not like the Meals for Mutts and hardly eats it, so she may have been waking up in hunger. She eats a little with the mince, but she tries to finsih off the mince and leaves the rest. She had some Science diet that the vet provided and she loves that but I do not like it. I just got some Blackhawk for her yesterday and mixed it with the Science diet. She seems to like it too. Finishes it off without any mince. But between 8pm and 6 am this morning, she pooed 4 times. Could this be just as a result of her eating more or adjustment to the new food?

This is really not good for us as my wife has hypertension and really needs sleep in order to keep her blood pressure under control. We have the last puppy pre school today so will ask the vet about it then.

This is a lot of changes of diet. Frankly, that's probably not helping.

What did the breeder recommend the pup be fed.

Baby puppies often don't sleep through for a while.

Edited by Haredown Whippets

When you are sleep deprived it can be hard to see the good things. Yay for your puppy who is asking to go out and then settling when back inside!

I 2nd everyone who is saying the diet has changed around way too much and is most likely the main reason for 4 poos overnight. I also 2nd the raw chicken wings as the last meal before bed but I would give them an hour before bed which leaves time for a good wee and poo before settling for the night.

This is a lot of changes of diet. Frankly, that's probably not helping.

What did the breeder recommend the pup be fed.

Baby puppies often don't sleep through for a while.

Yes I know it's a lot of change. Was not planning to, but she just stopped eating the Meals for mutt kibble that the breeder recommended. That could also be why she has been restless at night. She may have been hungry. I have stopped the hills and just feed her the Blackhawk. I will try the chicken wings on the weekend and see how she goes.

On the plus side, she did really well in puppy school today. Her recall was pretty good even with the distraction of other pups around her.

Quick update. I think the food was the problem. She has nicely transitioned to Blackhawk Puppy and loves it. As a result, she is feeding better and so is full and sleeps from about 9.30pm till about 5.30. Now to try and get her to sleep in till 6! Thanks for the advice and suggestions.

Quick update. I think the food was the problem. She has nicely transitioned to Blackhawk Puppy and loves it. As a result, she is feeding better and so is full and sleeps from about 9.30pm till about 5.30. Now to try and get her to sleep in till 6! Thanks for the advice and suggestions.

:thumbsup: That's good news all round. Thanks for updating. :D