Poodle (standard)

Troy

Standard Poodle

ANKC Standard

(from http://www.ankc.org.au/home/breeds_details.asp?bid=196 )

Group: Group 7 (Non Sporting)

General Appearance: A very active, intelligent, well balanced and elegant looking dog with good temperament, carrying himself very proudly.

Characteristics: (Refer to General Appearance)

Temperament: Good temperament. (Also refer to General Appearance).

Head And Skull: Long and fine with slight peak at the back. The skull not broad and with a moderate stop. Foreface strong and well chiselled, not falling away under the eyes; bones and muscle flat. Lips tight fitting. Chin well defined, but not protruding. The whole head must be in proportion to the size of the dog.

Eyes: Almond shaped, dark, not set too close together, full of fire and intelligence.

Ears: The leather long and wide, low set on, hanging close to the face.

Mouth: Teeth - white, strong, even, with scissor bite. A full set of 42 teeth is desirable.

Neck: Well proportioned, of good length and strong to admit of the head being carried high and with dignity. Skin fitting tightly at the throat.

Forequarters: Shoulders - strong and muscular, sloping well to the back, legs set straight from the shoulders, well muscled.

Body: Chest - deep and moderately wide. Ribs - well sprung and rounded. Back - short, strong slightly hollowed, loins broad and muscular.

Hindquarters: Thighs well developed and muscular, well bent stifles, well let down hocks, hind legs turning neither in nor out.

Feet: Pasterns strong, tight feet proportionately small, oval in shape, turning neither in nor out, toes arched, pads thick and hard, well cushioned.

Tail: Docked: Set on rather high, carried at slight angle away from the body, never curled or carried over back, thick at root.

Undocked: Thick at root, set on rather high, carried away from the body and as straight as possible.

Gait/Movement: Sound, free movement and light gait are essential.

Coat: Very profuse and dense of good harsh texture without knots or tangles. All short hair close, thick and curly. It is strongly recommended that the traditional lion clip be adhered to.

Colour: All solid colours. White and cream poodles to have black nose, lips and eyerims, black toenails desirable, brown poodles to have dark amber eyes, dark liver nose, lips, eyerims and toenails. Apricot poodles to have dark eyes with black points or deep amber eyes with liver points. Black, silver and blue poodles to have black nose, lips, eyerims and toenails. Cream, apricot, brown, silver and blue poodles may show varying shades of the same colour up to 18 months. Clear colours preferred.

Sizes: 38 cms (15 ins.) and over.

Faults: Heavy build, clumsiness.

Vicious temperament.

Coarse head, lippiness, snipy in foreface.

Flesh coloured nose.

Light or round or prominent eyes.

Over or undershot or pincer mouth.

Long back, coarse legs and feet, long flat toes.

Bad carriage, heavy gait.

Open soft coats with no curl.

Particolours -

White markings on black or coloured poodles.

Lemon or other markings on white poodles.

Notes: Male animals should have two apparently normal testicles fully descended into the scrotum.

QUESTIONS

1. What is my relationship with the breed? (ie breeder, first time owner etc)

2. Where and why was the breed first developed?

3. How common is it in Australia?

4. What is the average lifespan?

5. What is the general temperament/personality?

6. How much daily exercise is needed for the average adult?

7. Is it a breed that a first time dog owner could easily cope with?

8. Can solo dogs of this breed easily occupy themselves for long periods?

9. How much grooming is required?

10. Is it too boisterous for very small children or for infirm people (unless the dog is well trained)?

11. Are there any common hereditary problems a puppy buyer should be aware of?

12. When buying a puppy, what are the things you should ask of the breeder? (eg what health tests have been done (if applicable) and what is an acceptable result to those tests so the buyer has an idea of what the result should be)

If you wish to contribute to the knowledge about this breed, please answer the above questions. (Copy and paste them into a new post).

• Please only answer if you breed or own a pedigree example of this breed.
  • You do not have to answer all questions
  • Please keep posts limited to answering questions or for asking further questions if you require more (or expanded) information.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1. What is my relationship with the breed? (ie breeder, first time owner etc)

Breeder, Owners and Exhibitor

2. Where and why was the breed first developed?

France, Russia, German take ypur pick each say they created the breed. The Standard poodle was develpoed as a Water Retirever. Its trims where designed to protect its internal organs from the cold water, these trims where not as elaborate or as extensive in coat as what we see in the ring today. Also used as guard dogs and for a short period where used by the French Police as Policing Dogs, they became more popular with Circus' as performing pooches doing tricks and amusing the audiences. To the more common Fashion Dogs they became today in Dog Rings.

This breed excels at Obed, Aglity and waits doting on its master.

3. How common is it in Australia?

Standards are a common breed but not as popular as the other 2 sizes.

4. What is the average lifespan?

Teens

5. What is the general temperament/personality?

Happy joyful, proud, intelligent

6. How much daily exercise is needed for the average adult?

30-60mins walk and some mental tasks to keep them from getting bored.

7. Is it a breed that a first time dog owner could easily cope with?

yes and no. Some Standards can be over the top and very Boisterous, but others can be quiet and calm.

8. Can solo dogs of this breed easily occupy themselves for long periods?

Yes if left with someting to occupy themselves with.

9. How much grooming is required?

Show sog can take about 10hrs of preparation from Wash - drying - trimming - then more prep at shows.

pet dogs are normally cut back with a #7blade and kept short, this is normally the easiest way of keeping a pet poodle.

10. Is it too boisterous for very small children or for infirm people (unless the dog is well trained)?

Depends on the dog

11. Are there any common hereditary problems a puppy buyer should be aware of?

Hip Dysplasia, Von Wilibrands (vWB), Hyperactiveness

12. When buying a puppy, what are the things you should ask of the breeder? (eg what health tests have been done (if applicable) and what is an acceptable result to those tests so the buyer has an idea of what the result should be)

Check that the pups/dogs have been tested for all relveant health testing and their results.

Ask if the parents are VWB clear or affected and if the pup have been tested

Do they come with grooming instructions

Which puppy is best suited for me

Our 2 are quite vocal, they bark at their own shadows :laugh:

If hey are in coat and maintained they can do well but just like all mammals, they too can be affected by heat. Proper shading should be provided. Our girl does quite well in summer she's shaved off which keeps her a bit cooler.

Are they vocal dogs?

How do they handle the summer heat?

I have to differ slightly from Darkrai, as regards the vocalising, but I guess all dogs are diffrent - I've had Standard Poodles for over 30 years and have found that, in the main, they only bark when there's something to bark at! Mine are excellent "doorbells" :D

As far as the heat goes, they do handle it reasonably well, as long as they are not carrying a full coat. Don't, however, make the mistake my ex & I made - when we went to Perth with our 1st girl and it was very hot we had her clipped right down, whereas they need a bit of coat to insulate them against the heat.

Are they vocal dogs?

I have to differ slightly from Darkrai, as regards the vocalising, but I guess all dogs are diffrent - I've had Standard Poodles for over 30 years and have found that, in the main, they only bark when there's something to bark at! Mine are excellent "doorbells" ;)

;) Wanna swap then :lie:

I must admit though they can be peaceful, but make excellent guard dogs :D

Are they vocal dogs?

I have to differ slightly from Darkrai, as regards the vocalising, but I guess all dogs are diffrent - I've had Standard Poodles for over 30 years and have found that, in the main, they only bark when there's something to bark at! Mine are excellent "doorbells" ;)

;) Wanna swap then :lie:

I must admit though they can be peaceful, but make excellent guard dogs :D

They do indeed - Niki was the BEST one - very protective & with a deep, growly bark!

Granulomatous sebaceous adenitis: a disease of sebaceous (sweat) skin glands characterized by reactive tissue growth and autoimmune destruction of the sebaceous glands. Hair loss occurs and is poorly responsive to treatment. Common in standard poodles, Akitas, Samoyeds and vizslas

Skin for Sebaceous Adenitis (SA)

How: Two small skin biopsies done in the midline near the shoulders

When: After the second birthday and annually thereafter

Where: Your veterinarian can take the biopsies; these are then sent to a certified veterinary dermatopathologist.

Hope thats helpful, top part was from a post on DOL in 2004 and the lower part from poodles in Australia, i do have more information about SA and other hereditary disease, but alas tyhey are in Sth Aust in storage. Most genetic issue and hereditary problems can be googled or search on the internet.

As far as I know I don't know anyone with Standards that have SA, but that doesn't mean that it's not out there

Edited by Darkrai

• 3 weeks later...
Do they need 2 be exercised daily and if you miss a day would they be bouncing off the walls?

What sort of exercise do they require, a walk? jog? off lead running?

I have two standards and yes they do need to be walked every day or taken to the park or some form of exercise. If we don't by around 4pm Ella is dropping a tennis ball at my husbands feet then she runs outside to wait for him. Ella is seven and Oscar is six and they are showing no signs of slowing down. If I cant take them out they are satisfied with a loooooooooooooooooong ball game in the back yard. I don't walk long distances which Ella needs because I also walk a toy poodle and a Jack Russell all at the same time. The Jack will just keep stopping on me if I go to far, so I go for a walk then let them have a run at the dog park. I am lucky to have a dog park five houses away from my home.