Fleas!

kiesha09

This morning before work I discovered that one of my dogs has fleas (only a matter of time for the other one too I guess). I have never had an animal with fleas before and honestly its freaking me out :laugh: .

I have frontlined them both this morning and this afternoon I will worm them also (as I've heard fleas can spread tapeworm). I'm going away this weekend (with dogs so looks like their doggy holiday will be an indoor quarantined one :love: ) so before I go I'm going to wash the bedding, dogs and mine, wash rugs on lounge, vacuum carpet then let off a flea bomb.

Is there anything else you can recommend? Has anyone else used the mortein flea bombs or is there something else you can recommend?

Also, should I give the dogs another frontline treatment before their next monthly treatment is due to make sure their gone?

Fleas make me stressed!!!!!!

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We got fleas for the first time this week and it spread to both cats and the puppy (inside cat's i'd never flea treated as they are inside only and get checked daily) and puppy is frontlined but still got them, poor little guy. Sophie was fine.

Ended up discovering that the pets aren't responsible - a workmate lent me a foam mattress for hubby's brother to sleep on when they stayed 1 night last week and the mattress had fleas! Grr! So now it's cost me a fortune re-stocking the house with advantage, advantix and capstar and mortein flea bombs.

I used one of the flea bombs last night - seems to have worked well.

Argh! I feel your pain!! It really isn't a very fun situation to have to deal with.

Did you turn off your fridge when you used the flea bomb? I want to set it off as I'm leaving to go away for the weekend but don't want to turn off my fridge.

Argh! I feel your pain!! It really isn't a very fun situation to have to deal with.

Did you turn off your fridge when you used the flea bomb? I want to set it off as I'm leaving to go away for the weekend but don't want to turn off my fridge.

I only used it in the spare room where they seemed to be pretty well isolated but i'll be setting one off in the living areas this weekend to be sure they're gone - It says turn off the fridge so i would - we're going to put the dogs in the backyard, the cats in one of the back rooms with the windows open and turn everything off, set off the bomb and go out for lunch! I think you'd be ok turning off the fridge and freezer as long as you don't open them again until you've turned them on again - everything should be ok just for 2-3hours i'd think.

If you Frontlined them then there's no reason to keep them indoors when you take them away this weekend...

Personally I'd have bathed them first then used the spot on - though I prefer the Fido's Fre-Itch Concentrate as a bath and no spot on.

If you Frontlined them then there's no reason to keep them indoors when you take them away this weekend...

Personally I'd have bathed them first then used the spot on - though I prefer the Fido's Fre-Itch Concentrate as a bath and no spot on.

Oh really? I thought that they might still spread them to other dogs (if they saw any while we're away) as it would take a few days to kill them. But if not that is fantastic as I wasn't looking forward to it.

I hindsight I would have bathed them first too except I found them about 20 minutes before I had to leave for work and freaked and just wanted to get rid of them ASAP.

Oh really? I thought that they might still spread them to other dogs (if they saw any while we're away) as it would take a few days to kill them. But if not that is fantastic as I wasn't looking forward to it.

I hindsight I would have bathed them first too except I found them about 20 minutes before I had to leave for work and freaked and just wanted to get rid of them ASAP.

What's on the dogs should be dead by the time you head off for the weekend...

For future reference, get a bottle of the Fido's Fre-Itch Concentrate and if there's a next time dip them in a made up solution...I also make up a spray bottle and spray the dogs if I'm heading to a show in an a tick area. One capful toa 500mL spray bottle and the big concentrate bottle lasts for ages...

What's on the dogs should be dead by the time you head off for the weekend...

For future reference, get a bottle of the Fido's Fre-Itch Concentrate and if there's a next time dip them in a made up solution...I also make up a spray bottle and spray the dogs if I'm heading to a show in an a tick area. One capful toa 500mL spray bottle and the big concentrate bottle lasts for ages...

Thanks Aziah for the tips! Although I do hope and pray that this is my last flea infestation for a while. I'm going to turn into the flea nazi I think. But I will get some Fre-Itch concentrate in case.

Just nipping in to say that I've been hearing of a lot of people getting flea infestations on dogs who are regularly treated with frontline plus, mine included. We've since switched to comfortis ($52 from pricelesspets.com.au) which is a tablet and it's much better in my opinion (and the dogs').

I normally just use Sentinal Spectrum because I've never really had problems with fleas before. But that doesn't kill all stages of the life cycle. I just happened to have 2 lots of frontline in the cupboard so used it straight away.

However, now that I've had an issue with fleas I"m going to be doing everything I can to not get them again so will be using frontline or somethign similar also. I have heard that some dogs develop a resistance to frontline but due to the fact that mine have rarely used it I don't think there should be an issue.

Yet thanks for the name of the other product. Will be sure to get onto it if frontline doesn't work.

Wow, you lucky thing to never have had fleas before. :mad We had the most heinous infestation last summer I was at my wits end. None of the flea treatments worked at all! And yes, my dogs were wandering around spreading fleas to other dogs. There was nothing I could do about it. I was bathing weekly but they'd be back in a day. Flea bombs knocked them down for a week.

It all came to an end with Comfortis. It took 3 months for them to disappear. We are now flea free, which just makes life so much nicer. I am tossing up whether to keep them on it still. They missed the last month and still no fleas, but I am so scared of getting another infestation with Comfortis added to the list of treatments that don't work.

Corvus that is my absolute worste nightmare. The thought of fleas gives me the heeby geebies, don't know why. Probably because I've never had to deal with them before.

I pray that these treatments work! But I mgiht buy some Comfortis just in case.

Wow, you lucky thing to never have had fleas before. :mad We had the most heinous infestation last summer I was at my wits end. None of the flea treatments worked at all! And yes, my dogs were wandering around spreading fleas to other dogs. There was nothing I could do about it. I was bathing weekly but they'd be back in a day. Flea bombs knocked them down for a week.

It all came to an end with Comfortis. It took 3 months for them to disappear. We are now flea free, which just makes life so much nicer. I am tossing up whether to keep them on it still. They missed the last month and still no fleas, but I am so scared of getting another infestation with Comfortis added to the list of treatments that don't work.

Same, Comfortis got rid of the fleas on Atlas and in the house/garden too. It's good stuff, I've never seen a flea on Luuka and I do try to check very thoroughly.

Frontline doesn't work for fleas - that is the problem. Switch to another product - I use Advantage and Advocate and in spite of it being a very bad season for fleas, I've only found 1 and I have several dogs.

I've been having it sprayed on all the pets done by the vet (I can't be around the smell).. We haven't had any issues with fleas on any of our pets for years (except when Karma out cat disappeared, when she came back she had fleas)

So all has been ok until recently until we moved here into our new place. We suspect both Cavs have a flea allergy from being bitten at some stage (can't see any on them!)

I've washed them a couple times with their shampoo (avoleen) and a flea shampoo, but they are still scratching heaps!

We live near the sea (and a river), and my Mum was telling me such areas are known for more bugs/feas/mozzies... not sure if that's true ? but they are being attacked here, unlike last place !

The vet did tell us that fleas can be buried under the dirt , and if you disturb it (which we have), thats when it can cause problems too!

I have brought a flea spray for around the house, and for their bedding (but I have to becareful with chemicals because of my fibro condition)

I am trying to grow some citronella plants to put around the outside of the house (even tho its more for the mozzies)

So reading this thread with interest what to do ??? Its annoying !!!

Edited by JulesLuvsCavs

The only thing I found that helped remotely when we were having our problems last summer was lemon-scented teatree oil. I would put a few drops on a cloth and tie it around the collar of my old dog, who was suffering very badly. She loathed the smell, but I feel like it kept the fleas at a managable level between flea baths. She still had heaps, but without it she had more. I tried diatomeceous earth and it did crap all. I would never depend on the teatree oil, but when nothing else worked it seemed to help.

Pennyroyal is supposed to be good, but I'm not game to use it. It's quite nasty stuff and I read somewhere that dogs can actually have a bad reaction to it being around. Like, breathing difficulties.

My dogs had fleas this year for the first time in their lives - more than 9 years and I freaked out too. We've never had problem with fleas while living in Canberra. It was actually our groomer that picked it up. I Frontlined all of them, washed all bedding and flea bombed. They don't seem to have any now but I'm keeping a vigilant eye on them.

JulesLuvsCavs - yes lots of coastal towns have sandy soil which seems to be a preferred environment for fleas...

AGain, I recommend the Fido's

Oh ok... eeek!

Where do u get the Fido's from ?? is that the full name of it.. can u show me an image of what it looks like ?? thanks :mad