9 Week Old Not Eating

Hi,

Im starting to worry a little bit, my 9 week old Golden Retriever, has decided eating a 1/4 of her meal each time is ok, and leaves the rest.

Is this something that is normal in puppies, or is it something that I should be running to the vet over?

I'm feeding her Supercoat/Nutro the reason I say both is that I am slowly weaning her off Supercoat, so am mixing the foods.

Thanks,

Adam.

Hi,

How often is the puppy getting fed and how much? Does she get treats etc as well? Is she keeping down what she does eat? And how long has she been doing this?

Edited by Kharn

Hi,

She is being fed 3/4 cup each meal three times a day. No treats during the day, but will in a couple of days as we are starting training.

She keeps down all her food.

Noticed it around 4 or 5 days ago, she wasnt eating all her lunch. Then this morning she left most of brekky and most of lunch, and just gave her dinner and she went to it for a bit then walked away.

I have been wetting the food, so thought mayby she might not like that and will try not wetting it tomorrow.

Any ideas would be great.

Thanks.

HTGR - when we bought our 8 week old beagles home, they ate all their food the first morning and then after that, they wouldn't eat much. We were lucky if they were getting 2 mouth fulls. I phoned the vet and they said that as long as they were drinking water (which they were doing a lot!) they would be fine and that they would eat when they were hungry.

They've slowly eaten more over time, but still don't eat a full meal when it's placed in front of them.

Maybe she's just not a big eater? We stayed on the same diet as the breeder had been using so it wasn't a change of food that stopped them from eating.

She is adjusting to a life where there are no littermates to compete with. I had the same thing happen with my latest pup.

Put the food down, give her 15 minutes, if she has not eaten it take it away and give her nothing else until the next meal.

Are you feeding chicken necks/wings? Any bones at all?

I have a 9 week old too, if I was in your situation as long as my puppy was eating something, drinking, toileting okay and her normal playful self I'd tend not to worry. She may just be being a bit fussy and may have realised she doesn't have to compete for food (I'm guessing you don't have another dog?). Also she may not be fussed on the new food, but she'll eat if she's hungry.

Good luck and try not to worry too much.

:hug:

When ours were the same age we went through the same thing and I, like you was a bit worried. Also, we had two litter mates so there was competition, but still they were fussy. Would eat anything but kibble....bad puppies.

I ended up reducing the amount of kibble by a small amount and mixing in raw mince (chicken, lamb or turkey)....that solved the problem. They're also on Nutro and will now eat it alone...but they do love their additives of mince, tuna, sardines, raw egg etc....BUT, mine are now 8 months old, so don't try too many different things at 9 weeks as their little stomachs are very sensitive.

I know it's worrying, but Holly will come around. Good luck.

PS. Holly is beautiful :D

When ours were the same age we went through the same thing and I, like you was a bit worried. Also, we had two litter mates so there was competition, but still they were fussy. Would eat anything but kibble....bad puppies.

I ended up reducing the amount of kibble by a small amount and mixing in raw mince (chicken, lamb or turkey)....that solved the problem. They're also on Nutro and will now eat it alone...but they do love their additives of mince, tuna, sardines, raw egg etc....BUT, mine are now 8 months old, so don't try too many different things at 9 weeks as their little stomachs are very sensitive.

I know it's worrying, but Holly will come around. Good luck.

PS. Holly is beautiful :D

Thanks Benny,

We haven't had a puppy for years now, so I forget about all these little things, and go in to panic mode straight away.

I will add just a bit of mince to her meal tomorrow and reduce the amount of kibble with it, I was going to add beef mince, I think that should be ok...or would lamb be better?

My other concern is her not wanting to go into her kennel! It is driving me nuts, if I put food in for her or her toys she will go in and get them but then come straight back out. I really want her to start using it during the day, to keep her warm etc.

Hopefully she will come around!

Thanks,

Adam.

This is only from my own experience, but I think if she thinks her kennel is a safe, warm place to be, she'll use it if she needs to.

She may not want to use it if your around because she'd rather be with you? Our puppy has a kennel, and I see her go in and out, but not stay in. I can only hope that if it got cold or wet she'd be smart enough to go in!

Hey Adam

Holly will be just fine. Benson at 12wks now rarely goes in his kennel if I'm about but he uses it during the night and I'm sure sometimes in the day. Re food I added a tiny bit of cooked rice and boiled chicken to the biscuits and kept reducing the amount over a week and now he woofs down his kibble!

I am sure she is getting enough also if she is getting chicken necks - by the way a really good trick is to give them to the pup frozen - that ways they can't gobble them straight away. Also lamb brisket! Beef mince is fine too!

I love that I am not the only worry wart out there :D

Kisses to Holly and we need more pics on the Golden thread K! ;)

Susan

Edited by First Time Puppy Owner

I would suggest going back to feeding the diet the breeder recommend & see what happens,you may find its the Nutro you have introduced & between that food change & settling its a bit much espeaicially when you stressing over it.

You may like nutro better but you truley need to give the pup a chance to settle in its new home with a diet that its familiar with .

The firs thing i would have experimented with was feeding the original diet & seeing how she ate especially before going to the vets,if she eats all the original diet then go back to basics & get her settled agian & then introduce a slight change for one meal only for a few weeks then build it up slowly to a full change

I second Toohey's suggestion of removing the food she leaves until next meal time.

Also consider that she might be suffering reflux, could you hand feed her or raise the bowl until the problem passes? I have raised a few pups who refused food and lost weight all due to a little heartburn.

Thanks Everyone for all your help and advice!

Im just about to feed her now, and will not wet the food, leave it dry!

Will go out and buy some beef mince and chicken necks to start mixing in for her. Chicken necks once every 3 days (I heard not too often) and beef mince one meal a day.

If she doesn't eat her meal again, I will revert back to the breeder recommended diet and take it from there!

Will keep you posted!

Thanks

Ok Update!

I fed her breakfast and didn't wet the food, she seemed to enjoy it only leaving a little in the bowl, but she ate so much more.

One thing I did notice though, was that she wanted me to stay while she ate. Everytime I walked away inside she would start barking and not eat her food, almost like she was protesting :cry:

I think that might be the problem, but I can't stay with her while she eats every meal, especially the mornings as I have to get ready for work.

Hopefully lunch will be better.

Adam.

Ok Lunch and Dinner all gulped up apart from a few kibble pieces.

I have fed her dry all day today and she seems to love it! You can hear her crunching them and really getting into it!

We knocked down an old BBQ we had in the backyard today, and caught her trying to eat the little pieces of concrete that were left on the floor! She was crunching like crazy, lucky I caught her and took it out her mouth...with a little fight! They will try eating anything I tell ya! :kissbetter: