Canine Carts And Weight Pulling

Hi,

I have been doing some research in this area. I'm very interested in getting my dogs into it. I've seen some equipment on ebay and may purchase it soon. Is there anyone selling canine carts in australia at all? I mean I can modify a cart myself, following books guidlines but would prefer to buy one. Do the husky club do weight pullin at all? Can any breed that is capable of pulling go?

Anyone else interested in getting something started? I think dogs are more happier doing work especially working breeds. Most of the sites ive visited are in the states or europe.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi,

I have been doing some research in this area. I'm very interested in getting my dogs into it. I've seen some equipment on ebay and may purchase it soon. Is there anyone selling canine carts in australia at all? I mean I can modify a cart myself, following books guidlines but would prefer to buy one. Do the husky club do weight pullin at all? Can any breed that is capable of pulling go?

Anyone else interested in getting something started? I think dogs are more happier doing work especially working breeds. Most of the sites ive visited are in the states or europe.

Hi Jennifer,

I think it sounds like great fun. I would love to have a go but although I have 6 dogs, they are all working dogs. Kelpies, borders and ACD. I dont think they would be big enough and not sure that I really have the time anyway but good luck to you and have fun with your dogs.

Which state are you located in? If you are in SA or VIC, contact the Bernese Mountain Dog club in your state. They do carting and also weight pull and would probably be able to direct you to someone who makes the carts :(

Edited by cassie the bernese lover

What state are you located in? Unfortunately there are NO weightpull comps in NSW so I will be travelling to compete in either QLD Mal and husky social club of QLD or Victoria Alaskan malamute club of Victoria SA also weightpull and thier link is Mal and husky club of SA If you do not own a mal or husky I'm sure they will let you join as long as your dog is well behaved :p I'm not sure on where to buy the carts (I will have mine custom made) but harnesses and ganglines can be bought from Express Outfitters , Polapaws and I bought mine from Windchill Dog Gear and can't reccomend them highly enough!

Hope this helps!

ETA: Forgot to say that any dog with the desire to pull is welcome to compete! Berners, Pitts, Northern breeds even Saint Bernards are great at weight pullers! My sister is looking to get a Samoyed and will be wanting to compete as well! If anyone wants to start something up here in NSW i'd love to hear from you! The Malamute club of NSW apparently hold comps but I havn't heard anything on that front for quite awhile! Their site is NSW Mal Weight Pull

Edited by aquaticmalamute

Hi guys,

Thanks so much for getting back to me. I'm in NSW unfortunetely! Thanks for passing on those links :p...

On the american sites, I have seen border collies and many other breeds I would have thought not strong enough to pull a cart but the carts are counter balanced so the weight is off the dog. I have seen 2 border collies pull a one seater human cart.It looks so much fun.

I have started my dogs off helping gathering tomber for the fire. They are really enjoying it.I have a staffy and a pittbull X.I'll keep u posted on my progress, maybe i can get some interest going in NSW.

I never thought of this as a sport...........but often threaten my lazy dogs with it when there is wood to cart about!

They seem quite happy for me to push the wheelbarrow up the hill why they lay about!

Thanks for the info everyone!

Well if anyones interested, i am buying some weight harnesses and cart pullin harness online. I dont mind sharing at all to get something going. One will be staffy sized and the other around pittbull, husky size...

I'm gathering up info as we speak, if anyone can read up some or send away for info, would be great too. I think there should be enough interest in nsw to get something going?

Dogs are happiest when they feel neded and have a job to do...

I have my pittyX booked in for k9 force in july to get his dog agression issues addressed (post a dog attack as puppy), so i am totally understanding for those of you who have dogs with some issues who are interested. It can all be done in a responsible manner...

I have been reading..and it says there are two types of harness.One for sledding or carting and one for weight pulling..I preseume the weight pulling would have extra padding. I thuink we should work on it to try and get something going...

You can't use X back race harnesses for weightpulling 1) it's against regualtions and 2) they aren't designed for heavy pulling :laugh: Proper weight pulling harnesses have a spreader bar at the rear and are designed to make the pull easier and more comefortable for the dog (keep in mind some dogs can pull up to 1 tonne!!)

To the people interested in forming a club, do you want to form your own weightpull club, with own rules, insurance, equipment and venue with the ability to earn titles for your dogs? or to join a club which offers most of these services, all you need to do is show up with your dog? I'm sure we could get something going with the malamute club of NSW, they have members with a venue and all the equipment we need, but I presume due to lack of turnouts they have ceased the competitions?

I have always wanted to do something like this with Hero he is a strong little bugger and can hold my entire weight when we are playing tug! So I would be very interested in joining in! I'm off to google it now for some more info.

Guest Pandii

This is the sort of harness I am looking for

post-4865-1180605849_thumb.jpgpost-4865-1180605815_thumb.jpg[a

tachment=83739:attachment]post-4865-1180605754_thumb.jpg

any ideas on where to get one

post-4865-1180605792_thumb.jpg