What Type Of Gate Is Better - With Visability Or Not?

We have lap and cap gates which have a few small gaps - but after Jedda has spent two weeks at Grandma and Grandpa's who have iron gates with heaps of visability to the road, my dad believes Jedda will get bored without the large visability to the road.

I was always under the impression that the only a small gap was better as the dog would get frustrated with staring at stuff going past without being able to get to it and then possibly bark quite a lot more when we aren't home.

What is the opinion and consensus on this one.

Iron gates or lap and cap?????

Cheers, Kylie and the now getting very large Jedda.

:rofl:

I have a see through bars type gate at my rental and I really dont like it as I'm paranoid about my girls getting pinched as they are totally visible from the street and I hate it.

We've just bought a house and on the weekend we are doing all new fencing and I am definatley getting a non see through gate for their safety.

If she's inclined to bark at what she sees through the gate, I'd be going for a no visibility version.

And if she's more inclined to bark at what she can't see but can hear, go for visibility. Helpful, yes?! :provoke:

I fixed my neighbours dog (who barked at anything it saw or heard in my yard) by placing black plastic along the fenceline. For him, he was barking because he heard a noise and then saw something.

But my dogs are more inclined to bark when they can hear something but not see it to identify it.

So the barking issue could be either way.

As for boredom, IMO if you have enough to mentally and physically stimulate your dog within your yard, there is no reason to see the street. Especially if it's possible people may harass or feed the dog through the fence.

You could also get in trouble from the council if the gate has gaps that are too large and passers-by feel "threatened". :rofl:

Edited by molasseslass

Yeah - the reason we got the lap and cap gates in the first place was for safety, security etc. Given she is so beautiful (not biased at all), I wouldn't want her to get stolen or fed etc either.

(She isn't a huge barker by the way. )

Jedda has heaps of toys on rotation, kongs, hidden schmacko's etc, so I personally dont think she needs visability to the road.

Thanks heaps to those who have replied so far.

We have 6 odd foot colourbond gates and fences and the girls dont bark unless you come really close to the gates (we back onto a carpark), which for security is great.. The developer who is sizing up the strip we are in had the misfortune of looking through the gap in the gate late last week... Lola saw him LONG before he saw and heard her... :rofl:

When they are in the office with me and have full view of the street they bark like crazy at anything that moves...

All our yard is fenced with timber posts and wire so Riley can see out.

When I house sat for my aunty her yard was fenced with colourbond so Riley couldn't see out. He barked and barked and barked. I had to leave him at home in the end. He hated not being able to see out - I think he was bored.

I guess it depends on the dog though.

I have a see through bars type gate at my rental and I really dont like it as I'm paranoid about my girls getting pinched as they are totally visible from the street and I hate it.

We've just bought a house and on the weekend we are doing all new fencing and I am definatley getting a non see through gate for their safety.

Same Same but different for me. (not being a smart arse, just if I posted it would pretty much be the above post, without the rental bit)

yep, i wouldnt allow mine to see out - Rather no one know i have dogs, then see them at the gate everyday.

Mine dont bark, have never had access to looking out of the yard, so they know no better. Ifi had to move into a house with gates they could see out of, i woulddo something to cover them up

We have a gate with gaps in it, but our fences are really high and you cant see through them.

We live on a pretty quiet street, Bundy hardly spends any time at the gate, so I dont really worry.

She's pretty quiet too, no barking at cars or anything.

But, it depends on the dog really..