Dog Bicycle Leash

junior will stay by me i could probly have him off lead but i wont take the risk it doesnt take much for him to lose focus and then i will be in a bit of pain as he is very very strong

I wasn't going to bite but seeing we are in the training section........

Why don't you just teach your dog to run next to your bike and not bother with the lead at all? It sounds like most of you already do a bit of training anyway so surely it wouldn't be too much of a stretch to extend it to a ride on the bike.

I used to tie 2 greyhounds to the handle bars of my BMX twice a day as a kid until they spotted a rabbit one afternoon. Never tied a dog to a bike again. :laugh:

My dog wears a lead for her safety, despite her being quite reliable off-lead. Never mind the fact that its the law that dogs are on-lead unless in a designated OL area.

Not everyone has the luxury of places to ride that are safe for an off-lead dog close at hand, even in rural Vic I have to throw the bike in the car and drive 15 mins to find somewhere safe that I can let her off lead and is suitable for bike riding.

For the purposes of ET they have to get used to being on lead while beside the bike.

:laugh: Has anyone got the dog walky bike thingy on the lovemypet site? I take the viz with a lead and had a bad tumble last night. Ripped right elbow, knee and hip. She looked at me like I was stark raving mad!! and I had a few ks to get home. Pain. OH bandaged me up. Lovely. Anyway, I am now going to invest in something for the bikes and this one seems more accessible for me. Not very experienced at net buying etc. In fact NO exp.xxx

that's the one i have and that's where i got it! it's good. it has springs that act like a bungee to absorb any lunging. also the metal pole keeps the dog away from the wheels. i think it's great. i think i saw them for $71 somewhere, cheaper than i paid. maybe shop around.

Don't want to risk being pulled off :laugh: Ouch.

Wouldn't ride on a path/road just holding the dogs lead, as if they pulled they could pull both of us into traffic.

The bike attachments are safer.

You can still get pulled off your bike with an attachment.

that's the one i have and that's where i got it! it's good. it has springs that act like a bungee to absorb any lunging. also the metal pole keeps the dog away from the wheels. i think it's great. i think i saw them for $71 somewhere, cheaper than i paid. maybe shop around.

Oh good. I'm getting one asap. had to have a small op on my elbow and heaps of stitches! My doc (friend) took great delight in inflicting pain on me (didn't really feel a thing). Didn't notice how bad it was till the following day. Bugger! can't bend right arm for 2 weeks. I don't think so!!!!!!

But not as easily as holding a leash in your hand, which imo is safe for you, your dog, or anyone walking by.

I have a walky dog attachment and reccomend anyone to try one of these - very strong and I've never been pulled off using it. :laugh:

But not as easily as holding a leash in your hand, which imo is safe for you, your dog, or anyone walking by.

I have a walky dog attachment and reccomend anyone to try one of these - very strong and I've never been pulled off using it. :laugh:

I'm guessing from your photo the walky is for a viz? That's what mine would be for too. She loves the bike. :laugh:

I've been thinking about getting one of these (and a bike :confused:) but I didn't know how safe it was?

I took Bondi to a park with a bike and had a ride around with her, I felt safe because if she pulled etc I could just drop the lead and not be pulled over, but I wouldnt be able to do that on paths/roads. If you are going at a reasonable speed and the dog lunges/pulls would it pull you over? And is the dog prevented from being able to get under the wheel?

I have found it pretty easy to keep my balance when he pulls. In fact if I stick a harness on him, I barely even have to pedal. He does lunge out ocassionally, but I haven't felt much except resistance (ie it's harder to pedal if he's pulling away from the bike). We slow down, I try to regain his attention and off we go.

My dog seems to instinctively stay away from the wheels. He definitely can't run under the front wheel as the leash doesn't stretch that far. When we see other dogs, he loses focus, and slows down to trotting behind the bike. Sometimes even trying to turn around as we pass them. We're still training to overcome this problem. For the moment we stick to quiet streets. At least until he's better trained.

The one I got is mounted close to the back wheel (ie lower to the centre of gravity). According to some reviews, if the attachment is designed to go higher (higher than the centre of gravity) it becomes more unstable and harder to control. That's why I got the bikerdog anyway. IMO the springer also looks pretty good for this purpose.

Just my thoughts and experiences...

I use a springer with my GSDs, I think its fantastic!

The worse incident I've had was with my strongest dog, who decide to lunge at a corgi being walked past. She lunged around the front of the bike, but couldn't get far enough due to the lead, and pulled the springer arm right around which pinned my leg against the bike. I still had plenty of time to get my other foot on the ground to balance and grab her lead - if she hadn't been on the springer I hate to think what would've happened.

The springers don't fit as well on the current day dual suspension moutain bikes, which I think is a big reason why the spinger moved during this incident. Other than that, I use it most days with several dogs and love it.

ETA I gave up biking with the dog mentioned above, she is fear aggressive and just too hard. I tried using a halti on her with an extra lead to control her head, as well as attaching her to the springer with a harness, but I still didn't feel comfortable. My other dogs will happily trot alongside on a loose lead.

Edited by ImaShepHead

I wasn't going to bite but seeing we are in the training section........

Why don't you just teach your dog to run next to your bike and not bother with the lead at all?

It sounds like most of you already do a bit of training anyway so surely it wouldn't be too much of a stretch to extend it to a ride on the bike. I wish training this dog were that easy!!

I used to tie 2 greyhounds to the handle bars of my BMX twice a day as a kid until they spotted a rabbit one afternoon. Never tied a dog to a bike again. :confused:

Why don't you just teach your dog to run next to your bike and not bother with the lead at all?

1. Because he doesn't have a reliable recall; 2. because it's illegal; and 3. because he's somewhat dog aggressive I don't want to take that sort of a risk.

surely it wouldn't be too much of a stretch to extend it to a ride on the bike.

I wish training this dog were that easy!! :rofl:

I used to tie 2 greyhounds to the handle bars of my BMX twice a day as a kid until they spotted a rabbit one afternoon. Never tied a dog to a bike again. :rofl:

Bet that's the fastest you've ever gone on two wheels!