4legs Dog Food

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I buy it and freeze it. For weekends away I chuck a frozen packet in the Esky. It thaws out nice and firm and helps keep other stuff cold. :rofl:

Good idea :laugh:

My dogs will eat it half thawed too. :o

Edited by poodlefan

Only one of my dogs will eat it.

It stinks to high heaven, the pug, (who eats everything for those that don't know pugs) won't even put her nose near it.

The staf will eat it but that is no suprise really. He'd eat crap if you served it to him. :)

I think it is icky and smelly. 2 out of 3 dogs feel the same. But having said that, lots of dogs eat it.

It doesn't follow with our doggy diet here anyway so it's not a biggy that mine don't like it. (I got it the other week when I was trying to entice a foster to have a feed. She hated it too.)

I've bought it on occasion (and me, a BARF feeder! :( :D ) if I've run out of the good stuff and can't be arsed mixing up BARF. The boys love it, which makes it tempting to use more frequently :D . We'll use it when we can when we go on our big trip, but htere's only so much we'll be able to carry.

Smells ok to me :)

I buy it for Angus every so often, he loves it. I cut all the balls in half and put it in Glad bags and freeze the difference. It doesn't seem to last too long once opened. I noticed about one year ago the balls just about halved in size rfom when they were first available.

I got home late and couldn;t be bothered doing dry/meat and yoghurt so they got 4 legs.

A pack was divided between the 3 and was gone in 5 minutes.

Well actually about 30 seconds i think. :)

I think it's Macca's for mutts. Don't know why it has to have guar gum in it, or why the meat has to be cooked. I think they use white, rather than brown rice, and I don't understand why there is only 2% more crude protein than fat (minimum); though this could possibly be why dogs like it. If they're so happy to list the ingredients, why aren't they just as happy to list the "essential vitamins and minerals" they claim to put in it?

Never tried it, and if its that high in fat I won't be. But I find their doggy cool treats really good, and Darcy loves them, but it appears Safeway is no longer stocking them :rofl: Or if they are, not down here in Western Vic :thumbsup:

We were lucky and got to sample a very large amount of the food that could have fed all of our dogs for at least a month, if just fed on that food alone. I was very happy with it, had no allergy issues and all of mine loved it, the Pugs and Staffords.

It's not affordable for me to feed a large amount of, they now just get it when we travel, as it's freezes and is quick and easy. :thumbsup:

My dogs have all loved it and I use it when I travel, it was also the only think Sway was happy to eat in the last few days before whelping.

I had a very fussy eater and even he would eat it.

I think it is icky and smelly. 2 out of 3 dogs feel the same. But having said that, lots of dogs eat it.

What do you mean by icky?

And the packet I bought didn't smell at all :thumbsup:

If it's less than fresh, it can be quite pongy. Be careful with use by dates and watch out for bloated packaging... if its puffy, don't buy it. :rofl:

I have found a bulk supplier of the food in queenbeyan if anyone is interested they have it in 1.5kg bags also stock the 900gm tubs. The 1.5 kg only come in the beef or chicken with pasta but they have the other 2 types in the 900gm. Pm me if you want details.

Like some other BARF feeders here, it's Jack's "take-away" food if we go away for a long weekend. I freeze it and pop it in the esky for the trip. He loves it.

Given what others have mentioned and experienced, I'd be cautious about feeding the full-size "balls" to smaller dogs without perhaps making the pieces smaller, and maybe adding some homemade stock or egg to moisten it.