Ppcollar (aka Prong) - 2008 Regulation Review - Outcome

Do you want pics of dogs wearing them?

Yes please .... to show the Government that dogs wearing them are not the unhappy, down-trodden, fearfully submissive dogs they seem to think they must be. Also to show the Government that the PPCollar is not a breed specific nor even necessarily size specific requirement. :o

Please note that unless the person in the pics has identifying features blurred out and is on public property, a "model release" would be required for me to use them. So if anyone has any pics (still or video footage ... vid footage only needs to be a minute or so), please take this into account. I can organise to send through a model release for you to sign if you want or need one. For privacy sake I'm making sure features which might identify location are also being removed. If you are unable to remove these identifying features yourself before submission to me, then simply send a written note with it confirming you want me to arrange to have these identifiers removed and I'll arrange for it to be done.

Cheers!

Erny

Edited by Erny

• Replies 209
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I have one of Kaos wearing a prong. It is a bit dark though. I can send the larger file if you like. Where do I send it?

ETA: I might try to find the camera and take a better shot . . .

post-489-1201290805_thumb.jpg

Edited by Kavik

From the "other" thread :-

did you get mine erny?
Don't think so Rachelle .....

Rachelle - with most if not all submissions I've acknowledged receipt of them. Save for the last week - I've been so caught up in trying to focus to straighten out, sort through and bear relevance to info from Govt docs (and integrate it to the submission) that the last couple of submissions I hadn't acknowledged straight away. Yours wasn't one of them anyway.

Can you tell me when you sent it?

If by any chance you have my old "bigpond" email address ..... would you please delete it as I no longer have it functioning. Please send to [email protected]

Edited by Erny

From non-"professional" owners ..... about 10 or so.

Professional trainers ..... still rolling in.

Vets ..... a few.

Not really many when you consider how many out there recognise the benefits of the PPCollar to both the welfare of dogs' and to the dog owners.

Still inviting for more. Deadline is extended to end February given delays caused by Christmas and the fact that I keep blowing out my work load because of the addition of new ideas :o.

I'm continuing to work on the submission (almost caught up with the new information sourced and have been adding that in) and if time doesn't run out on me too much today, I want to re-visit the wording of the Petition and get that out to the "blog space' I've created, so people can download, sign and post back (snail mail style).

Once I've got that going (and hopefully it will generate under its own steam to a degree, so I can keep moving on things) I want to concentrate on putting the DVD together.

Beyond that, it is simply much waiting for everyone out there to provide the things required.

Oh - and no takers yet on organising an appointment with their MP (to which I'm willing to be a spokesperson if preferred), provided travelling distance is within reason.

Taking a break from the work I've been doing on the submission - I have so much information swimming around in my head I'm getting giddy! Figure I need to go back to it with a clearer mind in a day or so.

So, while I'm taking a break from that I've turned my attentions to the petition wording. I presented this to my MP for opinion - he felt that what I had originally drafted was too complicated in that it might not be clear to the average person what the petition was actually for.

(Refer post #146 for original wording)

I think he made a good point. I originally worded the petition with the Government in mind, not the people signing.

My MP was getting an opinion from the Minister (?) but it has been quite a number of weeks and I haven't heard back apart from a couple of emails from him to say he hadn't forgotten. Great that he's kept in touch, but time is going by and I really need to get the petition "out there" as it needs time in itself to generate interest and response.

So I re-drafted the wording of the petition and am resorting to you guys again for your opinion on it. Does what I've written seem patently clear to you what the petition is seeking?

To the Legislative Assembly of Victoria

The Petition of the Residents of Victoria draws to the attention of the House

That we recognise use of the "Pressure Point Collar" (also known and referred to as the "pinch" or "prong" collar) [the Collar] can be and is beneficial to certain dogs and dog behaviour in terms of the animal's welfare and humanity during training; exercise; and/or behaviour modification, in comparison to the other more freely available training/managements tools.

The petitioners therefore request that the Legislative Assembly of Victoria regulate for permitted use of the Collar under supervision and/or instruction of a qualified dog trainer.

Look forward to your responses.

Thanks in advance. :(

ETA: I don't think the way I've put the word "humanity" in fits very well, but I did want to use the word "humane" in there somehow, without making the whole thing too wordy. Any suggestions? My brain is strained.

Edited by Erny

Do you want pics of dogs wearing them?

Yes please .... to show the Government that dogs wearing them are not the unhappy, down-trodden, fearfully submissive dogs they seem to think they must be. Also to show the Government that the PPCollar is not a breed specific nor even necessarily size specific requirement. :wave:

Anyone around my area offering to take pics for me please - yes mine are both German Shepherds but they can manage the waggy tail bit

Not being pro or con for the particular item, have you contacted overseas trainers where the "item" has been debated?

Hi LL

Have made contact with one person ..... who directed me to another back here.

Plenty of OS reports available on the benefits of the PPCollar ("prong collar") ...... and these were also referred to and submitted when the 'ban' was proposed. Government docs acknowledge them, but if one can read tone into the written word, it seemed they were brushed off just because they were from overseas. :wave:

Mind you, much has been shrugged off regardless of origin.

There isn't really much (if any) in the way of research papers here in Oz ........ but if it IS Oz research they would take more notice of, I don't understand their logic - what's the point in spending a fortune duplicating what has already been done overseas?

Implication is that the opinions of Victorians will hold most weight - presumably because they are the voters(?). I think opinions from interstate will help bolster the opinions of the Victorians, but the further away we get (ie overseas) the less notice they seem to take.

All the same ..... included in the submission are some reports/opinions and research docs from overseas ....... again.

Edited by Erny

submission sent today

Good luck Judi :o

And a very good one it is too.

As have been everyone's who have sent them through. :o

Thanks for the "good luck" Mark.

All I really need is for the Minister to have an open and understanding mind.

• 2 weeks later...

Below is the link to PPCollar "blog space" relating to Petition Forms and Vic Govt Petition rules.

Please have a look and print out the Petition form that is relavent to your residency. Please read the "instructions" first, as the Vic Govt will easily dismiss the petition if their petition rules are not observed.

And, once last "please" :love: .....

Please send the PPCollar Blog Spot to anyone you know who would also be interested and willing to help by signing the Petition and posting as per Instruction Page (2nd post on blog).

I'm reliant on getting this around as much as possible. :cry:

Cheers!

Erny

ETA: Even if you have already provided an individual submission to support this campaign (which submission does weigh more than a petition signature), your signature to the petition will still count. Of course, I'm hoping that I can obtain many more signatures to the petition than I already have in individual submissions. It will all add up to help. :rofl:

Edited by Erny

• 3 weeks later...

I am drawing to conclusion of the PPCollar submission to Government. The "main" submission is about complete and is presently under scrutiny for editing purposes at the moment.

I have the submissions people have sent in (:rolleyes:) ..... but can always use more :wink: .

The petition is "out there" but I need lots more responses. Even those who have made a submission are entitled to sign the petition. Of course there's got to be plenty of other people out there who didn't do a submission but who'd be willing and happy to sign the petition. Please see the link in the post above.

I'm in the throws of putting the finishing touches to the final additions to the submission as a whole and although that in itself is not a small task, I expect to be proceeding to the next step of arranging presentation to the Government fairly soon. This last step (ie the finishing touches) is no mean feat in itself so suffice to say that there is still time for those who have wanted to support but haven't yet gotten around to it, to do so now. :laugh:

Really ...... although the submission is going well, I sincerely need your help. Please :). Thank you :).

I can't believe this has taken almost a year ...... how time flies when you're having fun :confused: .

Edited by Erny

The next four weeks or so will almost be the last before the "main submission" is all but complete. If you want to see the current Vic Regulation changed to permit 'restricted' use of PPCollars, now's the time to be a part of helping this endeavour. Would be a shame if the only thing that precluded the submission from being accepted and passed was 'lack of interested numbers'.

If you haven't made a submission yet, it would be most welcome now. The submission will weigh more heavily but at the very least, a petition signed (even just one signature to the sheet) is another plus. For the petition please refer to post # 175. Be sure to print out the petition that is appropriate to you. :D

Submissions can be emailed to [email protected]

The petition with original signature needs to be forwarded by snail mail as per instructions at the foot of the form.

Thanks to those who have made a contribution. Don't forget - you can still sign the petition even though you've made a submission. ;)

Erny

Edited by Erny

Hi Judi,

I will happily sign this petition for you after all the help we have been given with our shepherd girl and the difference it has made on training and walking her... good luck with it all and i look forward to hearing of the outcome.. Would a submission be helpful?

Edited by charli73