Containment Systems-please Help!

K9: we have a few brands that we sell, when installed correctly they are very effective..

My dads Neighbour has one a very aggressive Cattle dog is behind it although it keep the dog in. When my dad first moved into his house his little Tenterfield terrier raced over to say hello (She has never encountered an aggressive dog before) and it ripped her to shreds she only just mad it.

What worries me is ever time my dad goes near the boundry its ready to kill him, what if a child walk in scares me just thinking about it. Dad it putting a very large fence up at his own cost just to block out the noise the dog never stops. Even barks and growls at the owner

One situation I feel these systems should not be used

Tracey

F: My dads Neighbour has one a very aggressive Cattle dog is behind it although it keep the dog in. When my dad first moved into his house his little Tenterfield terrier raced over to say hello (She has never encountered an aggressive dog before) and it ripped her to shreds she only just mad it.

K9: the systems dont keep other dogs out, that responsibility belongs to the owner of the other dog. I dont think that Terrier would have made it if it came into my yard either, my dogs are not in any way dog aggressive, but it is their territory...

Like other's have said it's great for keeping your dog in but not others out. I toyed with the idea of one of these or a physical pen, I chose the pen over the fence mostly because of the keeping other dogs out situation. Now I regret that choice and am thinking of getting an eletric fence as well - purely because she is super determined to get out and is very good at doing so!!! :p

thanks for your comments guys. I have a dobe who gets out of the tiniest spaces-she's moved pot plants, poles, sleepers, pavers etc. and she got to next door the other week.....neighbours rang the ranger and I got a warning but next time won't be so leninet (spelling?) so basically I need something that will really keep her in!! Her grandmother is a hudini as well....lol

hi all

I did a search on this but couldn't find much....basically I'm interested in the opinions/thoughts of those that have used the electronic containment systems. Do they work? Are they worth the money? and any other comments.

I have one in my yard. Pandii does too.

Mine is around garden beds i do not want destroyed.

I believe Pandii's is around her fence line as her dogs were getting out and it is extra incentive for them not to escape.

Mine have been 'bitten' a couple of times and now don;t go near it.

k9force- I checked out your website but couldn't seem to find anything on the containment systems....could you point me in the right direction!

K9: Best email me, we have been so busy of late, website going through update so they kist we have are not on there, email me & I can give yo the options, I think we have better prices than you will find anywhere...

[email protected]

We have an electric fence around the perimeter of our yard - we needed something to keep 4 busy Labradors out of the new gardens.

We looked at all the options and then one day mentioned to our vet who is a breeder and a trotter trainer - her advice was to go to the local produce store and get the electric fence from them. Think it cost us about $250 and we had to supply the fence posts. Its battery operated but can be hooked up to solar power.

And yep it works

Hi Africandreams,

After we finished our new house and let our turf & gardens establish themselves for 3 weeks, we put the dogs back on and our BC decided to dig a massive hole in the corner.

We decided on an electric fence to run inside the boundary to prevent digging. We bought one online (here) called the Pingg-String.

It was cheap compared to some of the others we found, delivery was very quick and setting it up (with the instructions provided) only took an hour to do our whole yard.

We turned it on, over the next couple of days all the dogs eventually had a "run in" or two with it and now they know to stay away from the areas with the wire. This keeps our CKCS from sneaking through the gaps in the pool fence and no one has dug any holes anywhere.

Before exposing the dogs to it - I tested it on my OH first (and then myself :)) its not a big shock - more like static electricity zap that you would get so I was happy to use it on them.

Now, we don't even turn it on - we just leave the wire there as a reminder that its "Off Limits". But if they ever try to get cheeky and test the boundary its all connected and ready to be turned on as needed.

We are going to start building on our acreage block (hopefully) early next year and we have already allowed for the extra electric fencing around the entire boundary just as a precaution.

It has definately saved us alot of headaches and possibly a break-out or two. :love:

We bought one online (here) called the Pingg-String.

How is your one powered?

Ours is Mains Powered (control pack & leads are weatherproof) but it can also be used with batteries, as long as you remember to replace them when required.

mains_type.jpg

They also make a solar powered version.

In most situations a kit using a mains powered Pingg-String energizer is the best choice. Its running cost is very low, at about $1/month. You must have an outdoor power point. If the distance from your power point to the Pingg-String barrier is more than 2m, then purchase our Lead-Out Cable to link the energizer to barrier wire. However, if this distance is more than 15m then the solar powered energizer may be more practical.

You may choose to put a sign up - Ours runs along the inside of our fenceline so for it to zap someone, they would have to either walk into our yard and not see it, or reach through the gaps in the fence and grab onto it.

If you are using it in place of a regular fence then I suppose it would be common curtesy to put up a sign, however as far as I know - it's not a requirement because its only 12 volts of electricity.

K9: One thing to be aware of with electric fencing is that, the wire itself is a positive looking for some way to get to earth. When your dog touches this, its central nervous system completes the circuit to earth..

Containment systems have two probes on the collar, one negative & one positive, meaning approx 25mm of skin is the only path of the electricity...