When To Take Puppy On Plane ?

hazel

We are expecting the arrival of our new pup soon . However not long after the pup arrives we are flying from Melbourne to Canberra for a family celebration and will be gone a week . I had thought that I would take the pup with me ( in fact have already booked it onto the plane ) . But the breeder tells me that I should not take the puppy on a plane until two weeks after it's 12 week immunisations due to the risk of parvo virus . It will be 11 weeks when we are due to leave .

Obviously this creates some problems . There is no way that I can leave the pup in Melbourne as there will be no one left at home , but also I do not want to put the pup at risk .

Does anyone have any experience of flying with pups ?

I would be following your breeders advice, if you have no one at home to look after your pup can it stay with the breeder until you get back from your trip?

As your pups health is important you dont want him/her sick.

Hi Hazel

My pup flew from Canberra to Melbourne at 8 weeks (he was a very strong pup - and was not going to leave until he was 10 weeks originally) to come from the breeder to me and I had no concerns. My concern with your situation is the number of changes for your pup within a short period of time....and stress increases the risk of disease because it can suppress the immune system. So....puppy leaves the litter/mother/familiar environment to come to you (big change), begins to settle in to its new environment and then is put on a plane (big change), is transported to a new environment (big change), begins to settle in and then is on another plane trip (big change) and returns home. So, for me, it is not so much the plane trip itself but the combination of a number of novel experiences...some of this depends on the personality of your pup too....a very bold pup would probably cope well but a more timid pup might struggle. If the pup was a bit younger when you were traveling I would consider leaving it with the breeder for an extra week....but that's difficult again because I prefer to get my pup at a younger age, and it depends on the breeder. Lots of considerations for you...I'm looking forward to reading other views.

My puppy flew over to Port Hedland (my home) all the way from Sydney (the breeder) when she was just 13 weeks old. She was a very strong puppy and considering she'd crossed the entire country in one day, she acted like nothing unusual had happened!

In regards to parvo and other pet related diseases.... I have been told that most airlines require you to present a current health certificate from the vet prior to travelling anyway, so the risk of your pup getting parvo is minimal I would think. If you bring your own crate, then your pup shouldn't come into contact with any other animals along the way OR contract anything any other dog may have left in the hired crate.

Hope this helps you!

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but don't many breeders fly their pups interstate to their new homes between 8-10 weeks of age?

Is it an option for the breeder to board your pup for the week you're away?

My pup did this when my Dad had to go to hospital. It was great because it's a familiar environment for pup and he was very happy to go. Too young for kennel IMO.

I'm not an expert, but would guess there's more risk of parvo in a kennel than if pup flies with you? It's a short trip, though of course you can't count this with delays etc.

My understanding (from when I sold a puppy in NZ going from the North to the South Island) is that 10 weeks is the minimum age for flying domestically and 12 weeks internationally.

I think you will find that no respectable kennel will take a puppy which has not had its last vaccinations.

It would be far safer for you to leave your puppy with the breeder until you return from Canberra.

.... I have been told that most airlines require you to present a current health certificate from the vet prior to travelling anyway.

This isnt true for domestic flights.

Personally i agree with spotted devil ,The first month is so crucial for pups in settling to there new home,teaching it the house plan & letting the adjust to leaving its littermates & gaining trust of its new family.Not all pups settle quickly & not all new owners cope well for the first week

If i was the breeder i wouldnt send the pup until you got home.

You are going to take the pup to a place where ther sounds like will be alot of people & you could very well find your pup could suffer badly for the long term but its a risk you must decide.

We have flowen pups often but my concern is the disruption to the pups home life at a crucial stage

i agree with the above - i flew both my pups up from interstate at exactly 8 weeks old without any problems.

I dont consider the flight such a problem but more the being away from home for a week so close to coming home....its tough enough on any family getting a new puppy and the first couple of weeks settling in and night-time crying etc.

your family wont appreciate being kept awake at night, toilet training etc and having to adjust to your puppys need for a week.

how lng between gettin gpup and travelling maybe he breeder could just hold onto the pup for an extra couple of weeks to save the stress :wave:

I agree with Showdog. It is not the flight that is the problem (2 of my dogs flew to Hobart at 8-10 weeks) but the constant changing environments which may cause undue stress for the pup. If it was me I would ask the breeder to hold on to the pup till I returned from the holiday.

I agree with Showdog. It is not the flight that is the problem (2 of my dogs flew to Hobart at 8-10 weeks) but the constant changing environments which may cause undue stress for the pup. If it was me I would ask the breeder to hold on to the pup till I returned from the holiday.

I agree with Hounder.... in fact, if I remember correctly ( I don't always...... ) we did this for Hounder with her Bree for a couple of weeks ( Hounder, do I remember correctly ? )

In any case we have done this for several people, happy to do so for a good home for our pups, also we never charge for the "extra" weeks.....

Might if it was 6 or 8 weeks..... but 2 or 3 is no problem.

ASIDE to Hounder..... we just went to a points show, BOY got BOB ( 17 dogs ) and Junior in Group......"quite" pleasing.... :rofl::cry::angel:

Dave.