Pork Bones/meat

I was wondering.....

Its salami season down here and everyone is busy making homemade salami.

I have been given a heap of pork bones by a frired. They are all large sizes and have a fair bit of meat left on them.

Has anyone had any bad experiences feeding dogs pork meat/bones? It has all been properly butchered etc

It seems like a stupid question but I cant recall every hearing anyone mention pork bones/meat in a dogs diet...........

I know in humans, there is a chance of getting trichinosis from eating raw pork.

From what I've read, trichinosis is a nasty infection that you definitely don't want to contract, so I personally wouldn't feed myself or my dog raw pork.

I have no idea how relevant this is to Australia and if it affects dogs too

EDIT: yep, seems dogs can get it too

However, this site says it's not in australia but this one says it is... :rofl:

Edited by deltron

Thank you for that.....

Although I was concerned aboout the disease being found in roo meat etc in the wild. Whilst I dont do it myself (I live in town). A lot of people on farms etc will shoot a roo, butcher it themselves, and feed it to the dogs. I wonder if they are at risk of that disease as well????

Thank you for that.....

Although I was concerned aboout the disease being found in roo meat etc in the wild. Whilst I dont do it myself (I live in town). A lot of people on farms etc will shoot a roo, butcher it themselves, and feed it to the dogs. I wonder if they are at risk of that disease as well????

Perhaps...

The (human grade) meat you buy in the shops is farmed under strict guidelines and the meat is inspected before sale. If you were killing and butchering your meat yourself, i'd say it's more likely that the meat could be harbouring parasites. However, responsile owners of dogs are worm reguarly, so perhaps it's not such an issue for dogs to eat that meat than it is for humans.

I really dont get some people!!!!

Dogs have evolved from eating rotting flesh (any sort) out in nature and have made it to 2007......

Meat and bones are the most natural diet a dog can eat, before 50 or so years ago, there wasnt any kibble, etc around......

Your dog can eat any meat, pork, roo, beef, rabbits, goats, you name it.......

Even if it sits in the sun or lies buried for a couple of days, your dog will be ok....

Edited by Den

Den: the difference now being that our dogs live long and healthy lives, if we're lucky, whereas 50 years ago dogs had a relatively short life span. I think that's due to them being fed a more balanced diet.

I don't feed pork bones to my dogs but many people do with no ill effects.

Den: the difference now being that our dogs live long and healthy lives, if we're lucky, whereas 50 years ago dogs had a relatively short life span. I think that's due to them being fed a more balanced diet.

I don't feed pork bones to my dogs but many people do with no ill effects.

Totally agree with you, but my last Rottie lived till 11, my now Rottie is 4 and as healthy as they come, they eat a mostly meat and bones diet.....

I just freak that people are worried to feed dogs what is most natural to them.....

Some of the healthiest and fittest dogs out there are working dogs on farms.....

farmers shoot feral pigs, roos etc and feed the dogs with the stuff.......

have never seen better dogs then working dogs (regardless of breed)

Thanks everyone for your advice and info.

I was asking as its not something I would usually come across. Its only as its salami season that everyone is busy trying to find ways to get rid of pork bones. Usually when you got to the butcher its beef bones.

Den, I agree about the rotting thing. My dogs love it, especially if they can find a tasty maggot or two. But I was only concerned as pork tends to carry a lot of different sorts of bacterias. Well it might not anymore but remember when we were all told to cook the pork till it was very well done? Like canNrott says, we tend to look after our dogs a lot better than people did even 20 years ago. I am very fond of my dogs and try to feed them the best things I can for a longer and healthier life.

So thank you everyone.

Lamb can be pretty fatty too.

All doges need SOME fat for a balanced diet, but some need more or less than others - depending on breed, age, level of activity etc.

Mine gets a pork trotter occasionally - about once a month, I would guess. Doesn't seem to have done her any harm.

Sometimes I pick up some pork off cuts - but I don't get them unless there is a good amount of meat in them and not too much fat. I feed them as I would the lamb - as part of her diet.

Totally agree with you, but my last Rottie lived till 11, my now Rottie is 4 and as healthy as they come, they eat a mostly meat and bones diet.....

I just freak that people are worried to feed dogs what is most natural to them.....

Some of the healthiest and fittest dogs out there are working dogs on farms.....

farmers shoot feral pigs, roos etc and feed the dogs with the stuff.......

have never seen better dogs then working dogs (regardless of breed)

I see we are like minded. :laugh: My first Rottie live to 12 1/2 years. The last Rott was 13 1/2 when she went, she was a rescue. She was in bad shape when she arrived here but the raw food and bones diet saw her health improve quickly.

I have another elderly rescue Rott here who is estimated to be 10yo and again she was in bad shape but is now doing well despite horrific hips. My papered Rott who I've had since a pup had cruciate ligament problems and had surgery as a result but as far as general health goes she's always been extremely well. She is 6 1/2yo now and looks like a young dog.

I'm all for a natural diet.

Mine eat pork bones too.......love hocks and trotters!

I would try your dog on one....and one only and observe for 24 hours, especially look for any change in bowel habits.

If ok after 24 hours I would continue to introduce slowly.....be logical about it, it doesn't have to be a all or nothing approach (if you have the space can you freeze some bones)

Like all things, a sudden change in diet can cause tummy upsets.........

p.s you are just as likely to get trich on other meats incl. beef and I would be more concerned with salmonella on raw chicken which is more likely.

Thanks for the infomation.

The dogs are loving the pig bones. The bones are all really meaty and little to no fat and they think its great. So thank you everyone for the suggestions. I had a heap (aboout 4 shopping bags full) so I have frozen them and will interchange them with all the normal bones and food.